The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Look anything is possible... Or if any of that is true. 

Its also possible he was only getting minimal contract offers with little\no gaureentees from NFL clubs.

I believe his record as starting QB in Calgary is like 72-16-2 or something.

oh sure. Anything can happen.xD

I think its a complete non-story. Next.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

I think more so.. when there is smoke .. there is fire.

Except there isn’t even smoke. 

If this CFL QB who’s never spent time with an NFL franchise didn’t sign with the Vikings because he thought that the team/Cousins were threatened by him, he delusional. And if fans think that the team is trying to protect Cousins’ ego by not allowing competition, the level of eye rolling needed to express such ridiculousness can’t be found. 

A 29 year QB with no NFL experience is not going to be brought in as any type of developmental QB. Which leaves him being brought in as a QB4/camp arm, or as a backup QB. If he’s being brought in as the QB4, his job is to be seen and not heard. Why would the team want to bring in a guy who’s looking to create controversy? If they were looking for him as a backup, he’s got a lot of other responsibilities to handle. The backup QB isn’t like other backups, it’s almost completely different position with all of the things they need to do both during the week and during the game. Teams just rarely hold open competition for the starting spot, and there was absolutely no question about Cousins being the starter heading into the season. Having a QB coming in and say that he’s going to take the starter’s job just tells the team that he’s not interesting in doing the job that they are looking for him to do. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Except there isn’t even smoke. 

If this CFL QB who’s never spent time with an NFL franchise didn’t sign with the Vikings because he thought that the team/Cousins were threatened by him, he delusional. And if fans think that the team is trying to protect Cousins’ ego by not allowing competition, the level of eye rolling needed to express such ridiculousness can’t be found. 

A 29 year QB with no NFL experience is not going to be brought in as any type of developmental QB. Which leaves him being brought in as a QB4/camp arm, or as a backup QB. If he’s being brought in as the QB4, his job is to be seen and not heard. Why would the team want to bring in a guy who’s looking to create controversy? If they were looking for him as a backup, he’s got a lot of other responsibilities to handle. The backup QB isn’t like other backups, it’s almost completely different position with all of the things they need to do both during the week and during the game. Teams just rarely hold open competition for the starting spot, and there was absolutely no question about Cousins being the starter heading into the season. Having a QB coming in and say that he’s going to take the starter’s job just tells the team that he’s not interesting in doing the job that they are looking for him to do. 

I think the smoke is that they contacted him about signing him

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why would that be smoke? Siemian was a free agent, the only QBs on the roster we’re Cousins and Sloter. They needed a backup and camp body. 

Just that there was some contact there. Maybe conditions for a fire were there but no spark

Cousins has been an easy target this past week, and this just seems like someone trying to jump on the pile for some attention. 

I have no doubt that Mitchell came in for a workout. But, I’m calling B.S. on the idea that he turned down the Vikings because the team wanted a QB who wasn’t going to bruise Cousins’ ego. Especially, a QB who was in for a workout looking at players for possible futures contracts.  

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Cousins has been an easy target this past week, and this just seems like someone trying to jump on the pile for some attention. 

I have no doubt that Mitchell came in for a workout. But, I’m calling B.S. on the idea that he turned down the Vikings because the team wanted a QB who wasn’t going to bruise Cousins’ ego. Especially, a QB who was in for a workout looking at players for possible futures contracts.  

Maybe I was reading it wrong, but I didn't think he ever said that he turned down the Vikings. Did the Vikings ever extend a contract offer to the guy? My impression was that the Vikings didn't offer him a contract because they disagreed on the role that the backup QB should have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Maybe I was reading it wrong, but I didn't think he ever said that he turned down the Vikings. Did the Vikings ever extend a contract offer to the guy? My impression was that the Vikings didn't offer him a contract because they disagreed on the role that the backup QB should have.

I saw something about it yesterday and I thought he said that he turned it down but I could be wrong

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If the Vikings think the 2nd-3rd string QB should not be pushing the 1st string QB. If thats the premise, that's disappointing. 

• Like 1