The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

@Cearbhall the PFT tweet is where I got that Mitchell turned down the Vikings. 

Thanks for that. I read it back and still don't see where Mitchell said he rejected the Vikings. I see where Florio says that Mitchell said that though.

I wonder if there is a full transcript of what Mitchell said. I clicked into Florio's source material and there is nothing in there that says Mitchell rejected an offer from the Vikings. I think that Florio is reading too much into it. It isn't the first time he has done that.

• Like 1

It is disappointing. You always want real competition.

Even if the guy was only brought in to perform as a PS player/camp body, they don't want a player with ambition, or a drive to succeed? You don't want a player who possesses confidence in his abilities; whom then wishes to use them to assist your organization in the best way he can? 

Regardless of what level you expect him to contribute at, why in the world would you not ALWAYS want competition at every position? No, no one actually believed that the job belonged to any one other than Cousins, but competition can't be avoided simply because of a player's propensity for mental anguish in survive or die situations.

The guy may not have ever seen the field but if this story is exactly how things went down, that's a shame. Not okay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Torchezim said:

The guy may not have ever seen the field but if this story is exactly how things went down, that's a shame. Not okay.

While I am sure there is some truth to it I doubt that is exactly how things went down. It is a one sided story that doesn't include the Vikings perspective. I think that Mitchell never got an offer from the Vikings and this is his reality that he used to rationalize it to himself. It was a good time for him say it to someone else since Kirk looked like garbage last week. Sour Grapes -- that is all it is. I do not think Mitchell is lying, but I do think that he has a perspective that makes the Vikings look worse than the reality.

Also, this may partially explain what happened to Sloter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s the way the league works.

@Cearbhall the PFT tweet is where I got that Mitchell turned down the Vikings. 

No that's not the way the league works. Pushing is completely fine from "young" players... Vetearn are paid to hold clip boards. The colorful personality certainlty didn't help Michell's case.

Kirk played well yesterday.  Made some good throws that were in tight spots.  I'm not yet ready to say he's turned it around, because of the team they were playing.

33 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Kirk played well yesterday.  Made some good throws that were in tight spots.  I'm not yet ready to say he's turned it around, because of the team they were playing.

Agreed. He should be able to have his way against the leagues worst pass defense. I think the next two games will be a big test to see where we really are at. Philly looks to be in the playoff mix and going to Detroit to play a team that looks much improved. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

While I am sure there is some truth to it I doubt that is exactly how things went down. It is a one sided story that doesn't include the Vikings perspective. I think that Mitchell never got an offer from the Vikings and this is his reality that he used to rationalize it to himself. It was a good time for him say it to someone else since Kirk looked like garbage last week. Sour Grapes -- that is all it is. I do not think Mitchell is lying, but I do think that he has a perspective that makes the Vikings look worse than the reality.

very astute and fair of you to state.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think we are discovering that some stats aren't worth a bucket of warm spit unless it's leading to consistent W's.

24 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think we are discovering that some stats aren't worth a bucket of warm spit unless it's leading to consistent W's.

While I often agree with that sentiment, the reason I posted it was because the negativity toward Cousins among a lot of our fanbase has gone a little too far.  This week's game against Philadelphia is going to be a defining moment for him, IMO.  He played well against the Giants, but that was expected because the Giants are a struggling team.  If he can't get it done at home against a banged up Eagles team, I think we are looking at what will become a mediocre season and I'll be ready to call him a "bust" of a free agent acquisition.  We shall see.