Heimdallr

The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Kirk Cousins’ last three games;

76% completion, 976 yards, 10 TDs, 1 INT, 142.64 passer rating. 

* And that doesn’t show the 3 other touchdowns he was inches away from, or that the INT wasn’t his fault.

and the dropped Diggs passes.

someone had to say it.

Nothing short of an amazing turnaround. Thought it was a psychological problem. He clearly has enough arm talent to be a top 5 QB. I was growing skeptical that the coaches and Cousins could turn things around in time after the Chicago game. 

The question of of whether this coaching staff is elite has been answered. The question of whether Cousins can change has been, mostly, answered. He still has to win some important games to shed the stigma that surrounds underwhelming performances against winning teams. 

That the team figured out a way to put him in a position to succeed, and quickly, is amazing to watch. 

Fun things are happening. Now please, please don’t deliver a soul-crushing blow at some point during the season. I just hope we don’t beat ourselves at some point. If we get outplayed, but we don’t make dumb mistakes, I can accept that. Sometimes people/teams are just better. 

I think question still exists about how Cousins handles pressure. Our offensive line has been improved this year, but the game against the Bears is still the example of what concerns me.

The vast majority of QBs don’t play well under pressure. Not sure why Cousins is expected to be any different. 

I won’t jump the gun on my praise but Cousins has genuinely impressed me (if that means anything) the past 3 weeks/games. 

And it was always a mental thing with him?  I am not sure if this is a prolonging apparition of brilliance on his part - how good he has been these past 3 games - but that wasn’t something that I thought could be drastically improved anyway, if indeed it was a fragment in mentality that he was burdened with every Sunday. I thought he may have a decent game here and there but his position with this offense may have done more for him than just aid in what stats he can post up or what he can physically do on the field. 

If you aren’t mentally there/tough (which is a lot harder to overcome than physical hindrances imo and in my own experiences), your play on the field in Cousin’s case, or whatever passion/trade/hobby that you may be adept, or very skilled in; a venture that we as people personally partake in can become downright cumbersome and a lot of work just to keep it progressing and/or remaining at a high level.  

If playing angry is the emotion that he wishes to rely on in order to fuel these kinds of performances, I feel a lot better about a post season run. Barring injury of course.  

Like I said, I won’t get too high on the whole idea of being deep playoff bound, but as of right now, he has given me quite a bit of hope for the rest of the season. If his play doesn’t prove to be less than stellar and this is the norm for Cousins, I will happily dive right in with optimism and excitement for what this season and the future holds.

Until then, Good Job.  I have hope. For now :) 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

The vast majority of QBs don’t play well under pressure. Not sure why Cousins is expected to be any different. 

There's obviously degrees.  I feel like Cousins drops off more under pressure compared to Keenum or Bridgewater.  Cousins is obviously a better passer under standard conditions than either of those 2, but then he plays the Bears or the Seahawks and he's completely useless.

For the year, Cousins is currently the most pressured QB in the league, at 41% of dropbacks. 

Much of that is due to scheme (with all the play action and deep routes) — he’s got the longest average time to throw and the highest percentage of dropbacks of 2.5+ seconds. 

The OL is up to 24th in pass blocking grade. Cousins has the 4th best passing grade and 7th best overall QB grade.

So his performance under pressure (pass rush, not the psychology of being a winner or whatever) has been very good in general, even if he played badly in the Bears game when the OL collapsed.

To moderate the optimism...

Let's just hope he hasn't peaked too soon in the season.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Hesitant optimism.  

True

10 minutes ago, Krauser said:

For the year, Cousins is currently the most pressured QB in the league, at 41% of dropbacks. 

Much of that is due to scheme (with all the play action and deep routes) — he’s got the longest average time to throw and the highest percentage of dropbacks of 2.5+ seconds. 

The OL is up to 24th in pass blocking grade. Cousins has the 4th best passing grade and 7th best overall QB grade.

So his performance under pressure (pass rush, not the psychology of being a winner or whatever) has been very good in general, even if he played badly in the Bears game when the OL collapsed.

If he has the longest average time to throw, I'm not sure that's the type of pressure I'm concerned about with Kirk.  The big concern with Kirk is when he actually needs to hurry or improvise, not necessarily standing in to the pressure.

Edited by Worm Guts

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I think we’ve got a five week stretch now to really build on that confidence. Redskins, Chiefs, Cowboys, Broncos and Bye, no reason that the Vikes can’t beat those teams and convicingly. Playing in KC and Dallas for the fact they are road games could be somewhat concerning but I feel if we can’t win those games, we’re going to have trouble. Prescott hasn’t been good against good defenses/teams this year and the Chiefs are starting Matt Moore. 

I too hope that the offense hasn’t peaked, they will have to manage that. 

Defense needs to get back to playing well and holding teams under 20 points.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but the Lions have been pretty bad the last three weeks on D, and it isn't like the other teams are great.....that said, you can only play the teams in front of you. And he's done great in these three games. 

17 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but the Lions have been pretty bad the last three weeks on D, and it isn't like the other teams are great.....that said, you can only play the teams in front of you. And he's done great in these three games. 

The Eagles also had the last ranked pass defense when we played them, did they not? You’re right to be cautious but the schedule still looks pretty easy the next four weeks.

Edited by vikingsrule

Lions pass defense was actually somewhere around 12th in league (acc to DVOA) coming into the match....their pass rush might not be good but their secondary coverage in general this season has been pretty good.. their strategy is basically to maintain tight coverage in secondary. Even when Slay was playing in first half, we still scored 3 TDs, 2 of them were without Thielen. My fav throw of the night was the pass to Diggs in first half where Slay was having an extremely tight coverage on Diggs and Diggs didn't even have any separation. That was just a perfect throw

Now, he needs to maintain this consistency. Hope he doesn't suddenly have some random stinker.