The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you really think that Rodgers Wentz it Goff are close to getting cut? Maybe Goff because I don't think he's played that well but I doubt it

No their not getting cut but would I give 84 million guaranteed to Rodgers and Wentz before Cousin's, Yes. I don't understand how they didn't get just as much guranteed money if not more. 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

No their not getting cut but would I give 84 million guaranteed to Rodgers and Wentz before Cousin's, Yes. I don't understand how they didn't get just as much guranteed money if not more. 

They could have taken a little less money to get more guaranteed. They also signed their contacts before the deals were up

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Because they wanted deals longer than 3 years.  If anything, they got the equivalent of 3 years of guaranteed money, it's just that their teams are on the hook longer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Because they wanted deals longer than 3 years.  If anything, they got the equivalent of 3 years of guaranteed money, it's just that their teams are on the hook longer. 

Ok that makes sense. That's like they just have to show up to Tranining Camp, OTA's, Minicamp, ect like Trent Williams here in Washington to get the rest of their ending money? Due to Trent not the team was allowed not to pay him even though they could've if they weren't so petty. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

A three year guaranteed deal is pretty much the same as a three year not guaranteed deal, for a guy Kirk's age.......That part of the deal was always over blown. Unless you thought there was any chance he was TERRIBLE. 

He's been good lately. Really, most of the year. 

Yeah how much different would a be 90 million with 60 guaranteed be? He'd still get at least 2 years. Maybe they'd cut him after 2 years but I think it's probably just as likely that he'd be looking for a new contract with more guaranteed money

• Like 1

Don't read this if you don't wish to hear an opinion on the Cousin's contract. 

@Sir Fobos

"At least 7 teams aren't laughing". 

Apologies for the long post. Didn't realize I had this much to say. :)

Not when they're busy game planning for literally every thing else on our offense besides Kirk Cousins, you're correct. They aren't laughing when chasing down Cook or Mattinson. Or worrying about Thielen and Diggs making contested catches all the time (since they do that a lot, and of course, most of the throws are contested since they are thrown by Kirk -__-).  I'm being facetious.

I am not overly impressed with Cousins, but he has surprised me a little this year with his play. We can win a title with him on his "A game", and everything around him being, Good - Great. That isn't worth that much. We over paid.

His contract still baffles me. Who else has a guaranteed contract like that? And are they as inconsistent as Cousins?  If their focus was to make a lateral move from Keenum to Cousins, and completely omit Bridgewater from consideration, I believe it to be understandable that I, or anyone getting up in arms when he plays up to his capabilities; most of his ceiling being either terrible to inconsistently above average. With moments of spectacular sprinkled into an already sputtered impetus of a 2018 here.

They didn't really improve anything from what Keenum in THE PRIOR system gave them. He could move around and escape the pocket, and he took risks. With these receivers, those risks paid off more than not, and that was without Cook and a worst offensive line! 

Why not pay less money to keep a guy who excels in your system and can only get better given another year in it? I'm not saying Keenum or Bridgewater would've been the long term answer but they both, basing Bridgewater off of his run and health with New Orleans this year, would give you the same amount of production if not more, at less cost. 

Fans are rightfully bothered by it when the funds could have been placed else where to assist an aging defense. And flat out replace liabilities in the secondary.

It is a non factor now. It doesn't matter. It also doesn't mean that people will ignore it when Cousins, who they didn't want in the first place, comes crashing back down to Earth. I'll support the guy; I mean, I'll at least try. He deserves that as the unquestioned starter here with no one to really challenge him, but I like many other fans are tired of being okay with mediocrity and expecting less simply because we are the Vikings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

That's a question that's yet to be answered and even last night up 14, they still didn't let Cousin's throw downfield to possibly put you guys up more. Witch than allowed Dallas back in the game. 

Who is he supposed to throw downfield to?  With Thielen out, all we have is Diggs, seventh round rookie Olabisi Johnson, and Laquon Treadwell, a bust we cut once earlier this season and had to bring back because that's all we had.  It's pretty easy to cover our receivers.  All you have to do is make sure Diggs is covered and you can be reasonably certain that the other two WR's aren't going to do any damage.  You can talk about the TE's, but you asked about throwing downfield.  Watch what happens in games when we have a healthy Thielen and Diggs.  Cousins does a lot of damage with both of them.

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

@Sir Fobos

Not when they're busy game planning for literally every thing else on our offense besides Kirk Cousins, you're correct. They aren't laughing when chasing down Cook or Mattinson. Or worrying about Thielen and Diggs making contested catches all the time (since they do that a lot, and of course, most of the throws are contested since they are thrown by Kirk -__-).  I'm being facetious.

I am not overly impressed with Cousins, but he has surprised me a little this year with his play. We can win a title with him on his "A game", and everything around him being, Good - Great. That isn't worth that much. We over paid.

His contract still baffles me. Who else has a guaranteed contract like that? And are they as inconsistent as Cousins?  If their focus was to make a lateral move from Keenum to Cousins, and completely omit Bridgewater from consideration, I believe it to be understandable that I, or anyone getting up in arms when he plays up to his capabilities; most of his ceiling being either terrible to inconsistently above average. With moments of spectacular sprinkled into an already sputtered impetus of a 2018 here.

They didn't really improve anything from what Keenum in THE PRIOR system gave them. He could move around and escape the pocket, and he took risks. With these receivers, those risks paid off more than not, and that was without Cook and a worst offensive line! 

Why not pay less money to keep a guy who excels in your system and can only get better given another year in it? I'm not saying Keenum or Bridgewater would've been the long term answer but they both, basing Bridgewater off of his run and health with New Orleans this year, would give you the same amount of production if not more, at less cost. 

Fans are rightfully bothered by it when the funds could have been placed else where to assist an aging defense. And flat out replace liabilities in the secondary.

It is a non factor now. It doesn't matter. It also doesn't mean that people will ignore it when Cousins, who they didn't want in the first place, comes crashing back down to Earth. I'll support the guy; I mean, I'll at least try. He deserves that as the unquestioned starter here with no one to really challenge him, but I like many other fans are tired of being okay with mediocrity and expecting less simply because we are the Vikings.

Keenum has been terrible since he left. He has one good year.

Bridgewater wasn't healthy last year, so, who is the QB last year? I love Bridgewater, but keeping him around for twenty some million when you weren't sure he could even play, on a super bowl quality team, would be a huge mistake. 

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

His contract still baffles me. Who else has a guaranteed contract like that? And are they as inconsistent as Cousins? 

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz have the highest guaranteed money of any QBs and they are both far more inconsistent than Kirk.  Cousins is already only #7 among QBs in guaranteed money.  I think you're just way too caught up in the perception.  At the time his contract was signed, Jimmy Garappolo was signed by 49ers to a similar contract...and at the time, Jimmy wasn't as developed or consistent as Kirk...and Matthew Stafford, who is more consistent than Kirk got more guaranteed money, as he should.  I don't believe your assessment of him being "overpaid" is correct.  It's all your perception, not reality.  And that's what needs to just be let go of.  He was paid an appropriate amount of money at the going market rate for a starting level QB at the time he hit the market.  Plain and simple.  There are going to be more inconsistent QBs coming along that are going to get paid more guaranteed money than Kirk.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

@Sir Fobos

I think I have been more impressed by what Kirk has done this year than you.  But, I'm a week to week guy.  If past play is any indication, than at some point, Cousins streak will come to an end.  This current streak is longer than usual for him...so, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts....with the realization that he could really stink it up against Denver and we'll all be looking and dreaming of first round QB draft choices.

Like you, I am also baffled by the Cousins contract.  Like you, I wonder if there wasn't more "value" in keeping Bridgewater or Keenum.  Yet, the truth is we'll never know.  Cousins is who we have right now and I'm pulling for him to stay hot with the knowledge that he's likely to revert to a pumpkin sooner than later.  I don't know what the answer is, but, in the offseason I suspect that there will be some cap casualties...and one or two of them are likely to hurt.  Could we keep the productive players if Cousins contract wasn't what it is?  I don't know.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Jared Goff and Carson Wentz have the highest guaranteed money of any QBs and they are both far more inconsistent than Kirk.  Cousins is already only #7 among QBs in guaranteed money.  I think you're just way too caught up in the perception.  At the time his contract was signed, Jimmy Garappolo was signed by 49ers to a similar contract...and at the time, Jimmy wasn't as developed or consistent as Kirk...and Matthew Stafford, who is more consistent than Kirk got more guaranteed money, as he should.  I don't believe your assessment of him being "overpaid" is correct.  It's all your perception, not reality.  And that's what needs to just be let go of.  He was paid an appropriate amount of money at the going market rate for a starting level QB at the time he hit the market.  Plain and simple.  There are going to be more inconsistent QBs coming along that are going to get paid more guaranteed money than Kirk.  

Both of those guys are better and younger than Cousins so I would understand paying them a large amount.  And SF obviously knew what they were getting....  look at Garoppolo and look at their season. 

Cousins is not worth 84 million guaranteed. You can continue to support the front office and their track record with QBs, and convince yourself of that, but no way he deserved more than some of the guys who were paid less than he was.  We just do not agree. 

The going rate for a good starting QB which he never has been.  So these supposed facts don’t line up. 

When someone more inconsistent than Kirk comes along, hopefully Cousins years here can be a template for what to expect and they won’t be over paid.  

29 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Keenum has been terrible since he left. He has one good year.

Bridgewater wasn't healthy last year, so, who is the QB last year? I love Bridgewater, but keeping him around for twenty some million when you weren't sure he could even play, on a super bowl quality team, would be a huge mistake. 

Yes.  As I said in the post.  He had one great year in that offense.  In THAT offense he excelled.  Why wouldn’t he continue to do so when Cook returned and the offensive line improved?  He was cheaper.

• Like 1