The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

4 hours ago, rrgm said:

I am beyond confused why you still hang out and post in the Vikings subforum..all you do is spit your Cousins hate. We don't care dude, lol

I'm not hating just stating my opinion of his play. His play witch I don't see as ELITE, in witch most have agreed with me on. 

You will care about his play if it doesn't get you guy's in the Playoffs/Playoff wins I would think. 

• Like 1

@Torchezim

as per your request, please keep any generalized discussions about Cousins here in this thread, that's why it was created. Game day Threads are for discussions specific to that particular game and players' performances in it solely.

even if another member attempts to engage you in generalized Cousins discussions outside of the MegaThread, please discipline yourself to reply here instead.

thank you.

• Like 1

Cousins has pretty much played up to his contract this season.  My main concern would be what happened in the Bears game.  Whether it's his fault or the offensive lines, I don't think we can beat anyone when we get that level of play. And we saw it 4 times in the last 8 games of last season (Bears x2, Seahawks, Patriots).  We have to play the Seahawks and Bears again this season, hopefully it goes better.

15 hours ago, Torchezim said:

Both of those guys are better and younger than Cousins so I would understand paying them a large amount.  And SF obviously knew what they were getting....  look at Garoppolo and look at their season. 

Cousins is not worth 84 million guaranteed. You can continue to support the front office and their track record with QBs, and convince yourself of that, but no way he deserved more than some of the guys who were paid less than he was.  We just do not agree. 

The going rate for a good starting QB which he never has been.  So these supposed facts don’t line up. 

When someone more inconsistent than Kirk comes along, hopefully Cousins years here can be a template for what to expect and they won’t be over paid.  

Yes.  As I said in the post.  He had one great year in that offense.  In THAT offense he excelled.  Why wouldn’t he continue to do so when Cook returned and the offensive line improved?  He was cheaper.

At no time have I supported the track record of the QBs in this front office.  For the most part, they've been terrible, especially early on.  But, as far as I'm concerned, more recently, they've done a better job.  Is Kirk Cousins an elite QB?  No.  I've never said that.  But, he is a very good one.  His problem has been his inconsistency, but his inconsistency was going from brilliant to mediocre.  Not like Christian Ponder, whose inconsistency range was from god-awful to mediocre.  Kirk Cousins is a good starting QB.  He's not what you apparently expect, which is perfection.  He has his faults.  But, by faaaaaaarrrrr (and I mean it ain't even close), he's the best QB they've had since Favre.  Keenum was clutch, but he got extremely lucky on a lot of plays.  He was nowhere near a good starting QB.  He was right for that team at that time, but he was never brilliant, which is what Kirk is at times. 

As I've often said, Kirk Cousins was my option #2.  I would much have preferred that they bring Teddy back and let him compete with a draft pick for the job.  That would have saved money too.  But, in the event that didn't happen (which it didn't), Kirk Cousins was a significantly better option.  In fact, I would probably rather have brought Bradford back on a cheap deal than give Keenum a deal.  I like Keenum, but he struck lightning in a bottle.  There was absolutely no way, no how, that anyone could trust that he could duplicate it.    

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Cousins has pretty much played up to his contract this season.  My main concern would be what happened in the Bears game.  Whether it's his fault or the offensive lines, I don't think we can beat anyone when we get that level of play. And we saw it 4 times in the last 8 games of last season (Bears x2, Seahawks, Patriots).  We have to play the Seahawks and Bears again this season, hopefully it goes better.

The Packers game was a bigger concern to me. Everyone has an off day, I can accept that with the Bears game. But everything was clicking in the Packers game, we drove the field and should have put in a winning TD but Cousins just decided to implode and give the game away.

11 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Just like Jamison Crowder, Preston Smith, DJ Sweariger, ect. Kirk is the most popular because he's a QB and the 84 million that was given to him. Let's not forget Keenum is now apart of the Redskins roster now as well. So Kirk name still comes up at times in our forum as well. 

OK, I follow what you're saying now.

Case Keenum = 2019 = $3.5 million salary = 1 win = $3.5 million per win

Kirk Cousins = 2019 = $29 million salary = 7 wins = $4.1 million per win

See?  We overpaid.  We should have signed Case Keenum and settled for 1-8 than Kirk Cousins at 7-3.  Gotcha.  I see why you're so ticked off at the Vikings front office.  Makes total sense now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Think of the bashing that cousins would get if he performed like Wilson in this OT

Lol. One could only hope.  

Bashing for Cousins will continue until he plays at least half that well. Sarcasm should at least be rooted in something that makes sense.  

You continue to be impressed with the literal embodiment of mediocrity. Fans like you will always be content, as long as we are competitive, it doesn’t matter if we ever win a championship.  It’s always, “We can build off this”, or “Remember that year where we came up just short?”. 

Your highest hopes are for a Wildcard playoff spot. You don’t believe for one second that we will run the table and defeat teams like New Orleans, San Francisco, Baltimore, New England or Kansas City (w/ Mahomes). Those fans are expecting championship contention. Super Bowl battles. And here we are discussing seeding because we aren’t sure we are even going to make the playoffs. Let alone what we are going to do once we get there.  

41 minutes ago, swede700 said:

At no time have I supported the track record of the QBs in this front office.  For the most part, they've been terrible, especially early on.  But, as far as I'm concerned, more recently, they've done a better job.  Is Kirk Cousins an elite QB?  No.  I've never said that.  But, he is a very good one.  His problem has been his inconsistency, but his inconsistency was going from brilliant to mediocre.  Not like Christian Ponder, whose inconsistency range was from god-awful to mediocre.  Kirk Cousins is a good starting QB.  He's not what you apparently expect, which is perfection.  He has his faults.  But, by faaaaaaarrrrr (and I mean it ain't even close), he's the best QB they've had since Favre.  Keenum was clutch, but he got extremely lucky on a lot of plays.  He was nowhere near a good starting QB.  He was right for that team at that time, but he was never brilliant, which is what Kirk is at times. 

As I've often said, Kirk Cousins was my option #2.  I would much have preferred that they bring Teddy back and let him compete with a draft pick for the job.  That would have saved money too.  But, in the event that didn't happen (which it didn't), Kirk Cousins was a significantly better option.  In fact, I would probably rather have brought Bradford back on a cheap deal than give Keenum a deal.  I like Keenum, but he struck lightning in a bottle.  There was absolutely no way, no how, that anyone could trust that he could duplicate it.    

I don’t believe he would have duplicated his great season exactly.  But with an even more dynamic running back than what he had then in Murray and McKinnon, it would have assisted in what short comings he may have had.  Just like it does Cousins.  Then add in the improvement of the offensive line, which has to be two times better than the 2017 one at least, I won’t say that he’d duplicate his success in 2017, but in that offense with those additions, he would be pretty close.  

It would also help to have a QB who can scramble a little.  

16 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Lol. One could only hope.  

Bashing for Cousins will continue until he plays at least half that well. Sarcasm should at least be rooted in something that makes sense.  

You continue to be impressed with the literal embodiment of mediocrity. Fans like you will always be content, as long as we are competitive, it doesn’t matter if we ever win a championship.  It’s always, “We can build off this”, or “Remember that year where we came up just short?”. 

Your highest hopes are for a Wildcard playoff spot. You don’t believe for one second that we will run the table and defeat teams like New Orleans, San Francisco, Baltimore, New England or Kansas City (w/ Mahomes). Those fans are expecting championship contention. Super Bowl battles. And here we are discussing seeding because we aren’t sure we are even going to make the playoffs. Let alone what we are going to do once we get there.  

Half that well as Wilson played in OT? Yeah he got into field goal range on his 3rd try but before that he threw in INT in the red zone and couldn't get the 30 yards or whatever they needed 2nd drive. 

I never said my highest hopes are for a wildcard. I expect a wildcard at least but think that we can still win the division. If somehow the Packers win the division at 13-3 and because of tie breakers we get the wildcard with the same record so be it. Then it's onto the playoffs

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

Why are you blaming us for the Vikings QB situation?  Nobody posting here is named Rick Spielman. 

The level of fan discontent has absolutely zero impact on Rick Spielman's QB's options.

I think most of us are not content with mediocrity, but content with our front office trying to sign the best available QB to run the team.  If that QB is mediocre, it looks a lot the same, but it's really not.  It's a fine distinction.  How many elite QB's are on the open market?  If an elite QB is jealous of Kirk's $84 million, why do they sign a home team discount contract?  I don't know.  It's not my fault.  That much I know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Packers game was a bigger concern to me. Everyone has an off day, I can accept that with the Bears game. But everything was clicking in the Packers game, we drove the field and should have put in a winning TD but Cousins just decided to implode and give the game away.

There was dpi on the last play. It wasn't called.

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

I don’t believe he would have duplicated his great season exactly.  But with an even more dynamic running back than what he had then in Murray and McKinnon, it would have assisted in what short comings he may have had.  Just like it does Cousins.  Then add in the improvement of the offensive line, which has to be two times better than the 2017 one at least, I won’t say that he’d duplicate his success in 2017, but in that offense with those additions, he would be pretty close.  

It would also help to have a QB who can scramble a little.  

Cousins can scramble a little. He's 10x the passer that Keenum was. Keenum was a crap QB that had a career year behind an elite defense. He had a great running game behind him.