The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

I wonder how much of it has to do with the QB not wanting to get hit on a free play as the defense isn't going to let up when the offense can still get a big play out of it. That extra second waiting for Diggs to get down field could get a QB smacked I guess and maybe Kirk is a bit gun shy with our line?

Only thing I can think of really.

2 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I wonder how much of it has to do with the QB not wanting to get hit on a free play as the defense isn't going to let up when the offense can still get a big play out of it. That extra second waiting for Diggs to get down field could get a QB smacked I guess and maybe Kirk is a bit gun shy with our line?

Only thing I can think of really.

The OL isn’t that bad. It’s average in pass protection, I guess I don’t get the narrative that the OL is still some significant liability.

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The OL isn’t that bad. It’s average in pass protection, I guess I don’t get the narrative that the OL is still some significant liability.

You're 100% right.

But I'm just saying that if you're a QB that has never been comfy in the pocket like Kirk and was sacked and pressured a few times prior to the free play, it could be a skittish subconscious thing to try and get rid of the ball fast rather than get hit.

Obviously Kirk didn't get hit hard all game but who knows if a fast defense like Denver gets in a QB's head to want to get the ball out rather than take a hit/sack. And I wonder if all the check downs early in the game had something to do with that.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

I think its like what others have hinted at in that we may not be coached to run a go-route when we believe there is defensive offsides. A shame since Rodgers seems to always at least toss one up. Frustrating that some are blown dead and others are allowed to play on. Perhaps the inconsistency in how the refs call it is partially to blame as well.

10 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I think its like what others have hinted at in that we may not be coached to run a go-route when we believe there is defensive offsides. A shame since Rodgers seems to always at least toss one up. Frustrating that some are blown dead and others are allowed to play on. Perhaps the inconsistency in how the refs call it is partially to blame as well.

I don't know what the CALLED route was for Diggs but he did run down field on that play and was about 15 yards off the LOS when Kirk dumped it down. Another second and Diggs probably would have been clear of the safety and was just getting around the CB who gave a bit of cushion.

33 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

You're 100% right.

But I'm just saying that if you're a QB that has never been comfy in the pocket like Kirk and was sacked and pressured a few times prior to the free play, it could be a skittish subconscious thing to try and get rid of the ball fast rather than get hit.

Obviously Kirk didn't get hit hard all game but who knows if a fast defense like Denver gets in a QB's head to want to get the ball out rather than take a hit/sack. And I wonder if all the check downs early in the game had something to do with that.

I don’t think Cousins is an extremely comfortable pocket passer to begin with, he struggles sensing pressure. You could put an all world OL around him and he’d still likely have the same issues. I think it’s just who he is as a QB and has been his biggest hindrance in terms of beating quality opponents and being recognized as one of the best. Getting him outside the pocket on bootlegs seems to reallly help.

• Like 1

A serious question.  How does the QB know it's a free play? 

Is it possible that the offensive lineman flinched first and drew the DL offsides?  Or do they always blow false start plays dead and that's the difference?

Or what if a QB thinks the DL jumped early but the refs didn't see it that way and didn't throw a flag?  Should the QB be tossing a risky downfield throw thinking he has a free play when he doesn't?

Unless the QB is purposely doing the hard count to draw them off-sides, I would think that it might be difficult for a QB to process "it's a free play!" in real time.  I don't know.  I never played the game outside of my backyard.

18 minutes ago, since72 said:

Is it possible that the offensive lineman flinched first and drew the DL offsides?  Or do they always blow false start plays dead and that's the difference?

False starts are blown dead.

If the QB sees the DL jump and sees the flag, it should be obvious that it's a free play.

They might get fooled if they only see a flag without seeing the jump -- illegal formations (shifts, procedures) are flagged at the snap, but against the offense. And seeing the DL jump but no flag, the offside / NZI might not be penalized if the DL doesn't cross the line, or gets back before the snap before the OL reacts. 

My take is that Cousins likes to play a certain way and does better when he follows that routine. So if he wants to treat free plays the same as regular plays, I don't have a big problem with it. 

The fact that this is a major talking point this week goes to show how well he's playing. There's very little to complain about in terms of his performance.

Worst thing I've found on tape from the Broncos game is that he should've pulled the trigger on the 3rd and long in the 1Q where he got sacked late (around Reiff) -- he had Diggs on a deep out. Plus there was the swing pass checkdown on 3rd and 18 or whatever in the 2Q. That continues to be his major flaw, a lack of aggressiveness. But of course he more than made up for that as the game went on. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Krauser said:

My take is that Cousins likes to play a certain way and does better when he follows that routine. So if he wants to treat free plays the same as regular plays, I don't have a big problem with it. 

The fact that this is a major talking point this week goes to show how well he's playing. There's very little to complain about in terms of his performance.

thank you again.

7 hours ago, Krauser said:

If the QB sees the DL jump and sees the flag, it should be obvious that it's a free play.

They might get fooled if they only see a flag without seeing the jump -- illegal formations (shifts, procedures) are flagged at the snap, but against the offense. And seeing the DL jump but no flag, the offside / NZI might not be penalized if the DL doesn't cross the line, or gets back before the snap before the OL reacts. 

Cousins says he didn't see the flag: 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, since72 said:

A serious question.  How does the QB know it's a free play? 

Or what if a QB thinks the DL jumped early but the refs didn't see it that way and didn't throw a flag?  Should the QB be tossing a risky downfield throw thinking he has a free play when he doesn't?

Unless the QB is purposely doing the hard count to draw them off-sides, I would think that it might be difficult for a QB to process "it's a free play!" in real time.  I don't know.  I never played the game outside of my backyard.

Good point. This happened to Mahomes earlier this year where he thought it was a free play, throws up a 50/50 ball, gets picked and the refs don't call it or reversed the call.