The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I said it is a hot take, therefore I am legally exempt from defending my position. That is the first rule of sports commentary.

I think you'll have to do better than that!!  Why do you think he's more of an MVP candidate than Russell Wilson...or Lamar Jackson?

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think you'll have to do better than that!!  Why do you think he's more of an MVP candidate than Russell Wilson...or Lamar Jackson?

I'd definitely pick Lamar for MVP. 

I didn't realize Russell Wilson was having such a good season! My ignorance shouldn't be held against me though, therefore my point still stands. 2nd rule of sports commentary.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd definitely pick Lamar for MVP. 

I didn't realize Russell Wilson was having such a good season! My ignorance shouldn't be held against me though, therefore my point still stands. 2nd rule of sports commentary.

Russell Wilson is the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL, according to contract value, so he should be expected to play at a MVP-type level.  Cousins is 14th.  He is a bargain.  xD

• Like 2

I feel like could go like Favre's year in 2009. There was a lot of people early in the year saying the contract wasn't worth it and that the Vikings won't go anywhere with him. As he starts playing really well the detractors quite down some but there is still a few saying to wait and see. He'll choke at the end. Some also make sure to give credit elsewhere. When the Vikings lose in the playoffs, they'll come out in full force again saying that they were right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I feel like could go like Favre's year in 2009. There was a lot of people early in the year saying the contract wasn't worth it and that the Vikings won't go anywhere with him. As he starts playing really well the detractors quite down some but there is still a few saying to wait and see. He'll choke at the end. Some also make sure to give credit elsewhere. When the Vikings lose in the playoffs, they'll come out in full force again saying that they were right.

Let's look at Cousins history.  He is a streaky quarterback.  He has never gone as long as this playing at his current level.  Some would say he's over due to return to the Cousins whose ineffective when it counts.  Me...I'm hoping he's figured it out and his current level of play is to be expected.

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Let's look at Cousins history.  He is a streaky quarterback.  He has never gone as long as this playing at his current level.  Some would say he's over due to return to the Cousins whose ineffective when it counts.  Me...I'm hoping he's figured it out and his current level of play is to be expected.

I am starting to think that Cousins has done plenty well to warrant more faith from the coaches. I excused the coaches seemingly trying to work around Cousins earlier as I saw plenty decent reasons for them to do that.

By now, I can no longer excuse that. When they call games like they did against Chicago it is no longer excusable by saying they were limited by what they were working with (not just perceived Cousins' limitations mind you). Cousins with this offense has shown enough. It is time for the coaches to let Cousins either sink or swim. I am starting to think that he'll swim perfectly fine.

I still am not 100% convinced that Cousins will be much better than the average QB that I have thought of him as but if he hasn't shown enough to warrant the coaches allowing him to sling it, I don't know what else he can do. He deserves the chance. He really showed something in the second half of that game on Sunday.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am starting to think that Cousins has done plenty well to warrant more faith from the coaches. I excused the coaches seemingly trying to work around Cousins earlier as I saw plenty decent reasons for them to do that.

By now, I can no longer excuse that. When they call games like they did against Chicago it is no longer excusable by saying they were limited by what they were working with (not just perceived Cousins' limitations mind you). Cousins with this offense has shown enough. It is time for the coaches to let Cousins either sink or swim. I am starting to think that he'll swim perfectly fine.

I still am not 100% convinced that Cousins will be much better than the average QB that I have thought of him as but if he hasn't shown enough to warrant the coaches allowing him to sling it, I don't know what else he can do. He deserves the chance. He really showed something in the second half of that game on Sunday.

Yes, he did show a lot of moxie in the 2nd half.  He really has run the play action based offense well beyond my expectations.  It helps, of course, having Cook...nonetheless, he's played pretty darn well.  I agree with the idea of spreading the field a bit and letting him take some more chances...as long as he's comfortable doing that...it's time.

18 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

He is a streaky quarterback.  He has never gone as long as this playing at his current level.  Some would say he's over due to return to the Cousins whose ineffective when it counts.  

But one thing Kirk has never had in his career for those stretches of average or less play....

An elite running back.

I mean it's nice knowing that if Kirk is having a bad game, we have a top-5 running back on this offense and you have to imagine Kirk thinks the same thing and maybe....just maybe that assurance of Dalvin being behind him means he doesn't have to "do it all himself" like he's had to do his entire career and put extra pressure on himself to win the games only with his arm.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

But one thing Kirk has never had in his career for those stretches of average or less play....

An elite running back.

I mean it's nice knowing that if Kirk is having a bad game, we have a top-5 running back on this offense and you have to imagine Kirk thinks the same thing and maybe....just maybe that assurance of Dalvin being behind him means he doesn't have to "do it all himself" like he's had to do his entire career and put extra pressure on himself to win the games only with his arm.

It didn’t seem to matter in KC. Cook was bottled up by a suspect run defense.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It didn’t seem to matter in KC. Cook was bottled up by a suspect run defense.

Their run defense has been better since getting Chris Jones back (which they did for the Vikings' game)...who they are going to make a huge mistake in not extending.  

Edited by swede700