The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

23 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think it's on his radar, certainly, considering they have no backup QB right now.  In fact, they have no QB other than Cousins on the roster once the new league year begins.  Unless he signs a futures contract, Browning is a FA and Mannion is also a FA.  I wouldn't be surprised at all that it's high on his radar, considering he might want to try something new and actually draft a QB high that won't play.  Nothing else has worked, why not try something else. 

FWIW, it seems that Browning did sign a futures contract, so he's on board for at least until training camp with Cousins.  

I'm sure it is in here somewhere among the 156 pages, but can someone explain to me how we could extend Cousins and actually lower his cap hit this year?

I was under the impression that his current contract was fully guaranteed, therefore you cant lower anything for this year?

Is it all "base" salary? Is it partly base and partly bonus, where if you extend his contract you can convert some to a bonus and it lowers the cap hit?

Give me some deets please!!!

1 hour ago, meixdaddy_10 said:

I'm sure it is in here somewhere among the 156 pages, but can someone explain to me how we could extend Cousins and actually lower his cap hit this year?

I was under the impression that his current contract was fully guaranteed, therefore you cant lower anything for this year?

Is it all "base" salary? Is it partly base and partly bonus, where if you extend his contract you can convert some to a bonus and it lowers the cap hit?

Give me some deets please!!!

If more years were added per an extension, the team would be able to maneuver the numbers around. Push some of his cap hit down the road a bit. 

For example, if the team signed cousins to a 3 year, $90M extension, they could lower his $31M cap hit for 2020 by spreading it over the 3 years of the extension. Let’s say they wanted to lower his cap hit for 2020 by $10M, so that the team could comfortably be under the cap. They would simply distribute that $10M out over the extension years. So, his $90M extension would look like a $100M extension in the books

And it doesn’t matter whether his 2020 salary is base or bonus. The language in the extension would just change it to fit what they would need. 

Edited by SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It wouldn’t be a competition. Cousins is a vastly superior QB to Keenum. It’s not even close. 

Not between the ears he isn't.  Keenum doesn't shrink in the pressure of a big situation.  We have only one example of that from Cousins.

I'm just saying that there isn't going to be any real competition at QB while Cousins is there.  When he laid eggs and his backup was Sean Mannion, was anyone screaming for Mannion to start?  If the hero who took us to an NFCCG is in the locker room, that wouldn't remain the case.