The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

While I am still skeptical of Cousins’s ability to be the kind of QB that will keep this team in the Super Bowl hunt on his own, the fact that the FO feels strongly enough to agree to a no trade clause gives me a bit more confidence. I have always been a Speilman supporter, and his relationship with Zimmer has resulted in the most talented Vikings roster top to bottom in my lifetime. This move is growing on me little by little.

• Like 3

After the dust settled on the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, his agent listed the teams that swung a sledgehammer. The Broncos weren’t one of them.

That’s the story as told by Mike McCartney to Peter King of SI.com. McCartney ran, as a practical matter, a silent auction for Cousins, with no guarantee that any offer made would result in a visit. The Vikings, Jets, and Cardinals ultimately put packages on the table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/denver-never-made-kirk-cousins-an-offer/

A good read by Peter King about the behind the scene stuff:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/19/kirk-cousins-minnesota-vikings-free-agency-guaranteed-contract-mmqb-peter-king

This process, McCartney decided, was going to be a silent auction. One offer per team. That would be it. Then a visit or two to a team (Cousins said he wanted to meet the coaches he’d be working with before signing anything); then a decision. “Kirk was not going to sign before he met the coaches and got a feel for the culture,” McCartney said.

It was a curious decision by McCartney. Cousins had waited more than two years for this chance to be on the open market. Now it was going to be a sprint? “I never used the words ‘silent auction,’” McCartney said Saturday, “but that’s what this was. I made it clear to each team that if they held back, it was going to hurt them.”

Two reasons McCartney wanted to do it this way: Because several teams had quarterback needs, he knew if one or two teams sensed they were out, Cousins’ market could deflate quickly. Teams are pragmatic; the fans want their GMs to shoot for the moon, but in this game of quarterback musical chairs, if one team had only one other quarterback it really wanted—Denver and Case Keenum, for instance (which was the truth)—and learned it wasn’t the front-runner, there’s a good chance it would exit quickly.

And a fully guaranteed deal was going to be a high priority. Surprisingly, this wasn’t a big problem with the teams wanting Cousins. “There will be no discounts,” McCartney said.

5 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think he's going to be a 30 TD guy for us. He's got the arm talent and we've got a great team around him that I expect to be even better after the draft.

He definitely can be. I’m actually very excited to see what our offense is going to look like this next season. 

2 healthy great receivers. Rudolph healthy again, where he wasn’t the end of last season, Dalvin Cook back, and a Healthy QB with arm talent. Should be interesting!

4 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I think he's going to be a 30 TD guy for us. He's got the arm talent and we've got a great team around him that I expect to be even better after the draft.

I think it's definitely possible, and would put him in rare company.

It's something that hasn't been done since 2009, and only five times in franchise history (1995, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2009).

18 hours ago, TENINCH said:

"Two personalities right there.." 

The photo at 1:37 Kirk is talking about is so nostalgic and almost makes me want to shed a tear, I definitely want a copy of that photo to frame in my house.  

Tom Compton didn’t see much of Kirk Cousins during practices with the Washington Redskins, with the offensive lineman’s back toward the quarterback, but they saw plenty of each other off the field. Compton and Cousins were both drafted by Washington in 2012, were roommates there and became good friends. Compton might know more about the Vikings’ $84 million quarterback than any Vikings coach or player.

Compton: “Kirk is a natural-born leader. I knew the minute I met him, he just kind of brings everybody together with his poise, just really knows how to lead a group of men. Just seeing his hard work, he’s there dang near 24 hours a day. I don’t know how often he leaves the building, but he’s a super hard worker and I know guys will be drawn to him. He has that certain leader energy to him. Good friend of mine. We got to play together four years in Washington and as soon as I heard the news that he was coming here, deep down I hoped that we would be able to reunite again. It definitely played a part in it, the fact that I’d have that opportunity. It wasn’t the only factor, but it was definitely one of them.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Newest-Minnesota-Vikings-lineman-Tom-Compton-says-Kirk-Cousins-a-natural-born-leader-116570623