The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, Krauser said:

“The Vikings may want a return on that investment”. Bad investments aren’t “returned” like unwanted purchases taken back to the store. 

Is there more to this segment than the 40 second long clip? There’s no actual analysis here.

The Vikings scheme made Keenum’s life easy in the red zone. He had a lot of defined reads and some playmakers who he could trust to come down with the ball on a 50-50 throw. I don’t know what Cousins was doing in general but on the clips here he ends up standing in the pocket surveying multiple targets and throwing late. I doubt DeFillippo is going to put him in that position very often. 

https://purpleptsd.com/how-much-better-than-case-keenum-is-kirk-cousins/

I don't know if this was already posted, but it is good analysis.

8 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Pretty spot-on and fair article highlighting the good and bad you guys are getting with Cousins.  Not sure if it's been posted.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/02/vikings-must-consider-best-worst-kirk-cousins/

Great article, Thank you! hopefully the scheme of Defilippo and the Elite vikings defense can reduce the amount of risky throws Kirk needs to make to help mask his deficiencies 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MattVikings said:

Great article, Thank you! hopefully the scheme of Defilippo and the Elite vikings defense can reduce the amount of risky throws Kirk needs to make to help mask his deficiencies 

We had a full season of risky throws with Keenum under center. The receivers did a lot to bail him out.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Pretty spot-on and fair article highlighting the good and bad you guys are getting with Cousins.  Not sure if it's been posted.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/02/vikings-must-consider-best-worst-kirk-cousins/

We already know what we're getting with Cousins.

5,500 yards, 50 TDs/2 INT, and a shelf full of Super Bowl trophies!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

We had a full season of risky throws with Keenum under center. The receivers did a lot to bail him out.

Yup, I think it's easy to forget some of the throws that were made just because they were completed.

As for Cousins, last year was a down year in some areas. But I think that had more to do with a talent drop. Also interesting to note, all five of his career red zone INTs were in the last two years without Jordan Reed for the majority of the time. 30 TDs to 5 INTs in the last 32 games. Threw 32 red zone TDs without a red zone INT in his first 30 games.

• Like 1

There's one area of Cousins that I've really been impressed with the more I watch. I've watched a few different games, and one of the things that stands out is how his passes are almost always on time and on target. That was one of the growing frustrations with Keenum. Sure, he completed passes, but they didn't always allow for maximum yardage because the receiver had to wait for the ball, jump for the ball, dive for the ball, etc.

Also worth noting: Cousins played against many of the league's top defenses (Vikings, Broncos, Cardinals, Seahawks, Chargers, Eagles x2), and came out with a pretty good year. Much tougher schedule than we played last year imo.

• Like 2

Whiteboard session with Cousins and (eventual Giants drafted) QB prospect Kyle Lauletta, diagramming and discussing the classic Coryell play 525 F post.

Cousins' turn at the board starts at 3:50. He seems really smart.

Stefon Diggs is impressed: 

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Keep in mind that most QBs have worse QBRs when playing from behind. The biggest thing with Cousins last year is that he was surrounded by a ragtag bunch. We were pulling linemen and RBs off the streets... and the receiving core was less than reliable. 7-9... and a play or two away from being 9-7 (Chiefs and Saints)... was admirable to say the least. I won't even touch the Skins' defense. I'm excited to see how Cousins does with a healthy, talented team around him.

• Like 3

DeFilippo: “When you coach a guy like Kirk Cousins, a guy who wants to come in and hit the ground running, it makes it a lot easier as a coach. He’s been in the building, studying at home, using his iPad, maximizing his time here, maximizing every second that’s allowed in the CBA. We’re fortunate to have a guy like that who’s that competitive, that team oriented and is ready to go every day.”

Zimmer: “He looked good. He made some nice throws, he’s a very anticipatory thrower. He throws guys open. He’s very, very accurate. I think he’s doing a good job of taking control of the offense. Like everybody, he’s learning the new system, learning new people. I thought he did good today and he’s done good all the times we’ve been out here."

https://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/05/takeaways-week-1-vikings-otas/

Speaking of articles, what do you think of DeFilippo's offensive scheme so far? The article highlights the difference between Jay Gruden's offense and what DeFilippo is trying to do. How does it compare to Shurmur's?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/24/national-anthem-policy-owners-meetings-roger-goodell-kirk-cousins-vikings-johnny-manziel-cfl

Kirk Cousins blending in with his new surroundings. The conclusion of the years-long saga between the Redskins and Cousins means, for the first time in his career, the 29-year-old can actually settle in as the starting quarterback knowing he’ll be in place for a while. And the early word I’ve gotten indicates the Vikings are pleased with the return on their three-year, $84 million investment. The coaches have seen a quarterback who’s working to move his feet faster, and showing great accuracy on the run and feel for the game.

That’s not to say, of course, there hasn’t been an adjustment. This is the first big scheme change of his career. He’s learning the run-pass option game that new coordinator John DeFilippo is bringing with him from Philadelphia, and to shoulder more responsibility pre-snap. In the West Coast-based system that’s he ran in Washington, much of the mental load of setting protections and adjusting pre-snap fall on the center, which is part of an effort to make the quarterback’s job easier. DeFilippo’s scheme will put more on Cousins to set protections, and there’ll be more sight adjustments (where the receiver and quarterback adjust based on what they see) than he’s ever had to handle before. The thought here is that it should, in the long run, make Cousins more effective and tap into his football intelligence.

All of that is coming along, as is Cousins’ place in the locker room. Remember, because of all the uncertainty over the last few years, it was hard for the quarterback ever to truly take the head seat at the table among players. Now, he can do that, and he’s been proactive in trying to establish himself there in bringing teammates out to dinner, or Wild or Timberwolves games. And all of that makes this situation pretty different than the one Cousins had been in.

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Speaking of articles, what do you think of DeFilippo's offensive scheme so far? The article highlights the difference between Jay Gruden's offense and what DeFilippo is trying to do. How does it compare to Shurmur's?

it's very hard to say at this point, DeFilippo said when he came in that he didn't have a system as such, he more gauged the strengths of his players and built something around them. 

and also there's been like nothing about his scheme specifically yet from the first few OTAs.

Given the extent to which former Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins threw the ball to tight ends, his new tight ends in Minnesota should have their heads on swivel. In a video posted by the Vikings with Cousins wired for sound, Cousins throws a pass to Rudolph.

Cousins: “Boy, he’s a friendly target, it’s like throwing into a mattress.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/30/kirk-cousins-likes-throwing-the-ball-to-kyle-rudolph/