Heimdallr

The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Since 2015 Kirk Cousins' stats....

Indoors:

6 games/208 attempts/147 completions/70.7% comp./1738 yards/8.36 YPA/12 TDs/3 INTs/6 fumbles/2 lost

Outdoors:

42 games/1481 attempts/985 completions/66.5% comp./11438 yards/7.72 YPA/69 TDs/33 INTs/25 fumbles/9 lost

He's now guaranteed 9 indoor games a year (Detroit) and a minimum of 2 outdoor games (Bears and Packers).

Stats taken from here:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/players/situational-stats/2017/1272574/kirk-cousins/ 

NFL players owe Kirk Cousins a hat tip, and a few of them may be giving him just that on July 16. That’s the deadline for the four guys left on franchise tags—Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell, Lions DE Ziggy Ansah, Cowboys DE Demarcus Lawrence and Rams S Lamarcus Joyner—to do long-term deals, and, thanks largely to the roadmap that Cousins drew over the last three offseasons, it will take a lot for their teams to get them signed to anything more than their one-year tenders.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/28/franchise-tag-kirk-cousins-leveon-bell-demarcus-lawrence-ziggy-ansah-lamarcus-joyner

It’s good news for Rudolph that Cousins is considered one of the best QBs when it comes to using tight ends. FiveThirtyEight noted that from 2015 to ’17 Cousins threw 256 passes when two tight ends were in the formation and averaged 10.24 yards per attempt, nearly a yard better than No. 2 on the list, Detroit’s Matthew Stafford.

Rudolph: “First and foremost he's a great person, he fits into our locker room. He’s a natural leader and he has incredible arm talent. He makes throws out here that everybody has talked about through OTAs. He throws a very catchable ball, and he always seems to put the ball in the right place.”

It also bodes well that the Vikings brought in offensive coordinator John DeFilippo. He comes from Super Bowl champion Philadelphia, which ran the third-most plays with two tight ends in the NFL last season.

http://www.startribune.com/kyle-rudolph-harrison-smith-friendship-began-with-a-fight-at-irish-camp/487576381/

Cousins is set to flourish in Minnesota because he has three key things that he has not really had before, the first of which is a truly elite defense. It may not wind up being No. 1 again in 2018, but the unit the Vikings have on that side of the ball is one of the best in all of football and has Zimmer's fingerprints all over it. What the staff has built in four seasons-plus is nothing short of impressive at every level of the defense. There is no reason to believe that they still will not be good for years to come, especially as they continue to explore upgrades and lock up core pieces.

The second, and most important reason of all perhaps, is the support he will have from the coaching staff and front office. Cousins hinted as much in his opening press conference when he mentioned the commitment the Vikings are making to winning and the chip he has always had on his shoulder. The Wilfs are doing everything they can to build a winner and it shows in two state-of-the-art buildings in U.S. Bank Stadium and the newly-opened TCO Performance Center in Eagan. They were willing to do that and also pay a premium for a franchise quarterback on the open market. Zimmer may not like the idea of what the cost was, especially if it comes at the expense of losing a piece on defense, but he can rest easy knowing there will not be questions every week about who the starting quarterback will be. At the end of the day, he will get over the price tag.

Offensive coordinator John DeFilippo and quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski could be the two biggest factors in how the Cousins era begins and progresses. DeFilippo is one of the game's bright offensive minds and was able to develop Carson Wentz and Nick Foles in Philadelphia and has garnered head coaching interest from teams in the past. Should that be the case again and he leaves after 2018, Stefanski is the logical choice to replace him. And that is good for Cousins, too. He and Stefanski have a relationship dating back to the Senior Bowl in 2012 when he was being scouted out of Michigan State.

Cousins' biggest issue may be his decision making when things break down. He has some of the worst-looking interceptions in the league when he panics, and Keenum was the exact opposite of that in 2017. Keenum's mobility and composure kept a lot of plays alive for the Vikings despite having limited arm strength. However, piece of mind and finally being comfortable is the third and final thing that could make him a perfect fit in Minnesota. The mistakes he makes can be coached, but finally being in a spot where you know you are locked in should pay huge dividends.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Kirk-Cousins-should-fit-in-just-fine-with-Minnesota-Vikings-116323484/

From what I've watched of Cousins (full games available on YouTube) and from what I've heard, I think he's very much a rhythm passer. He needs to build himself a bit before he gets you.

Cousins:  “The contract, as my agent, Mike McCartney, said, allows me to go out to the field every day and never think about money. The money is done. I can just go play football, and that’s what I love. The last thing I want to think of is, If I throw for 200 more yards, I can get a million-dollar bonus. I didn’t want to do that. I can just think about how I can help this team win.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Kirk-Cousins-embracing-new-challenges-with-Minnesota-Vikings-119751540/

Cousins' coaches in Minnesota have been working with him on 152 different movements to escape pressure and extend plays. The biggest benefit, coaches believe, is having an offense that fits his skill set, knowing he will be under center for at least the next three years.

DeFilippo: “At the end of the day, we are going to do what he does best. What is that? He throws really well on the move. We can change launch points with him, whether in the pocket or outside the pocket. He’s really comfortable with that. He’s really comfortable resetting his feet, going from left to right or right to left across the field. He stays in perfect position to throw the football. And he can throw accurately and on time.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Kirk-Cousins-embracing-new-challenges-with-Minnesota-Vikings-119751540/