The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Let me type that out: 

"Specific quarterbacks aside, Zimmer's teams have made the playoffs 100% of the time when they get a mere 86 passer rating and 7.0 yards per attempt from the other side of the ball. 

In 3 years as Washington's starter, Cousins exceeded an 86 passer rating and 7.0 yards per attempt without fail."

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Krauser said:

Let me type that out: 

"Specific quarterbacks aside, Zimmer's teams have made the playoffs 100% of the time when they get a mere 86 passer rating and 7.0 yards per attempt from the other side of the ball. 

In 3 years as Washington's starter, Cousins exceeded an 86 passer rating and 7.0 yards per attempt without fail."

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

As long as the OL holds up, those numbers should hold up as well.

I think that this is more indicative of how good his defenses have been.  However, how many of those teams have appeared in a Super Bowl when not quarterbacked by Troy Aikman, with the NFL's all time leading rusher and an offensive line that is in consideration of greatest of all time? 

I am sticking with what I've said before.  I'm tired of merely making it to the playoffs!!  It's time to go and win an damn Super Bowl!!!!

I think everyone agrees. But if they don't win it, will it be Cousins's fault? I think the point being made is that this is an upgrade, and a seemingly perfect confluence of events. This will be the best shot that either entity has had, and each should be able to capitalize on the ability of the other. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I think everyone agrees. But if they don't win it, will it be Cousins's fault? I think the point being made is that this is an upgrade, and a seemingly perfect confluence of events. This will be the best shot that either entity has had, and each should be able to capitalize on the ability of the other. 

I hear you...yet if there is not a Lombardi Trophy being held by Zygi at the end of the season...I will feel as if the "perfect confluence of events" that led to a quarterback upgrade will have been an 84 million dollar failure.  I don't expect anyone else to agree with me...but, I'm not getting any younger!!!

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

an 84 million dollar failure

They were going to spend that money anyway over the same timeframe. They could spend less on the QB but then they'd just spend more elsewhere on the roster. 

Every season is a failure for 31 teams if you look at it as Super Bowl or bust. I see making the playoffs, winning the division and winning playoff games as some degree of team success, so I'd say the Vikings have made a lot of progress recently (2015 and 2017 were successful years on my terms). Still, it's fair to say that the goal of any successful rebuilding process is to win it all, and even after a good year they were still 2 steps short of that in 2017. 

Given the state of the Vikings roster, with a number of very good to great players all in their primes at once, the time to push for a championship is now. In Cousins, they get a QB who has a high enough ceiling to produce effectively (higher than Keenum over the long term, IMO), no long-term injury concerns (unlike Sam and Teddy) and without needing further development (unlike drafting a QB this year). I think he gives them as good a chance as they could get for the next few years.  

No way of knowing how that will turn out. Hopefully he stays healthy, the roster turnover around him doesn't have to happen too quickly, some of the young guys can contribute, and the contracts are all manageable for the next few years. Even then, the team will need to play at its best when it matters most, unlike what happened in Philly in January. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Krauser said:

They were going to spend that money anyway over the same timeframe. They could spend less on the QB but then they'd just spend more elsewhere on the roster. 

Every season is a failure for 31 teams if you look at it as Super Bowl or bust. I see making the playoffs, winning the division and winning playoff games as some degree of team success, so I'd say the Vikings have made a lot of progress recently (2015 and 2017 were successful years on my terms). Still, it's fair to say that the goal of any successful rebuilding process is to win it all, and even after a good year they were still 2 steps short of that in 2017. 

Given the state of the Vikings roster, with a number of very good to great players all in their primes at once, the time to push for a championship is now. In Cousins, they get a QB who has a high enough ceiling to produce effectively (higher than Keenum over the long term, IMO), no long-term injury concerns (unlike Sam and Teddy) and without needing further development (unlike drafting a QB this year). I think he gives them as good a chance as they could get for the next few years.  

No way of knowing how that will turn out. Hopefully he stays healthy, the roster turnover around him doesn't have to happen too quickly, some of the young guys can contribute, and the contracts are all manageable for the next few years. Even then, the team will need to play at its best when it matters most, unlike what happened in Philly in January. 

I agree with everything you wrote Krauser. However, I am tired of merely winning the division and winning playoff games as a sign of success.  Perhaps the greed in me is coming out...but I want the whole enchilada AND beans and rice...the Big Mac WITH Super Sized fries...The Bowl AND the Spoon...etc 

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree with everything you wrote Krauser. However, I am tired of merely winning the division and winning playoff games as a sign of success.  Perhaps the greed in me is coming out...but I want the whole enchilada AND beans and rice...the Big Mac WITH Super Sized fries...The Bowl AND the Spoon...etc 

Of course....we all do.

Unfortunately, that's not reality at this point as a franchise. We've made the playoffs just 6 of the last 17 seasons. The Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, but that doesn't mean we can't have successes along the way.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, JDBrocks said:

Seems like you are going to place 50+ years of failures on a FA in his first year. Not very fair IMO.

Not exactly...I see the 2018 team to be potentially the strongest all around team Minnesota has fielded in quite some time.  The talent on defense rivals the great Purple People Eaters!  The Vikings have top of the line playmakers at receiver, a better than average starting tight end, and potential all pro stud running back.  If this team is to fail it will be because of one or more of the flowing three reasons:

1. Deficient quarterback play...because the Vikings gave him 84 million dollars there is no guarantee that Cousins will live up to that kind of money.

2. Deficient offensive line play...one of Cousins' weaknesses has been pocket awareness.  Keenum was one of the main reasons for the improvement of the line last season.  The Vikings front office is banking that the line play has really improved...we'll see.

3. Deficient coaching...I have great respect for Zimmer...but, he and the whole coaching staff, got schooled big time in the NFCG. 

I like this team.  I have hope that Cousins will blossom in Minnesota, but let's not make like there are no questions about his game, or the ability of the offensive line, and the quality of coaches game planning championship games.  All are question marks for me waiting to be answered.  A Super Bowl win would answer those questions.

12 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Keenum was one of the main reasons for the improvement of the line last season.

I've seen this sentiment echoed a number of times this offseason, but I don't really believe it's the case.

Sure, he evaded some pass rushers, but I also believe he put himself into many of those situations because he wouldn't get rid of the ball in a timely matter.

If the ball is supposed to be out at 3 seconds and the QB avoids a sack 5 seconds into the play, the QB is the guy to blame for the protection breakdown more than the OL. Have to get rid of the ball!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

I've seen this sentiment echoed a number of times this offseason, but I don't really believe it's the case.

Sure, he evaded some pass rushers, but I also believe he put himself into many of those situations because he wouldn't get rid of the ball in a timely matter.

If the ball is supposed to be out at 3 seconds and the QB avoids a sack 5 seconds into the play, the QB is the guy to blame for the protection breakdown more than the OL. Have to get rid of the ball!

Agreed — the “Keenum was the 3rd most pressured QB” stat is really misleading, because it implies that was mainly the OL’s fault. A lot of that pressure was self induced.