The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree completely. The game was lost in the first quarter after really three dumb plays, the two fumbles and the Joseph penalty.

Turnovers and penalties will kill a team, and that's what happened to us. 

We've responded pretty well since that loss though so far. The defense still needs to step it up, but we got past the gauntlet. Based on our opponents going forward, minus Brady, Brees and Rodgers, our defense should look better. 

6 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Kirk now has at least 1 lost fumble in the past 4 games of the 6 played so far this season. 5 total lost fumbles.

Some of those bounces are like it's freaking destiny for him to fumble. I'd bet at least 3 had a perfect bounce for the defense to recover.

That's just part of Cousins history, we have to take the good with the bad. We'd all like to see the OL protect better, but being careless with the football and not sensing where the pass rush is coming from, that's on the QB. Of his fumbles, how many were actually blind side hits where he actually has much less control. 

• Like 1

The strip sack was bad, the INT was terrible. Cousins needs to be smarter, more aware of the game situation. Turnovers were the only way the game was going to be close, and his mistakes made it way closer than it had to be.

Vikings led 10-3 and the Cards had 2 first downs total (and only 2 successful plays) when Cousins threw the ball up for grabs on 3rd and 1 near midfield. Cards drove down to the 1 before the defense forced a stop on downs.

Two drives later,  after another Cards 3-and-out, the Vikings have pushed out from inside their 5 and shifted field position. On 3rd and long, rather than taking a sack and letting the defense play with the lead, Cousins tries to be a hero with Chandler Jones all over him. Ball takes an Arizona bounce and it’s tied at 10. 

Very similar set of mistakes to the Bills game, where Cousins compounded a bad first drive by the defense and a couple of good plays by the Bills offense by fumbling twice in a row and turning what should’ve been at worst a competitive game into a rout. 

The skeptical take on Cousins when he hit the market was that he couldn’t beat good teams. But that seems to be mostly due to playing with bad defenses (as he mostly has so far this year, surprisingly). 

My concern now is whether he can be reliable enough to beat bad and mediocre teams, or even just to manage the game with a lead. He hasn’t done well throwing in 4 minute (kill the clock with a lead) situations, against SF, PHI and AZ. He’s shot the team in the foot vs BUF and AZ in ways that had major effects on the game script. 

The upside is obvious, he's made some amazing plays. But Cousins needs to play smarter -- show more awareness and limit the mistakes. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

The upside is obvious, he's made some amazing plays. But Cousins needs to play smarter -- show more awareness and limit the mistakes. 

I think he needs to take a deep breath and just quit on some plays. On that 3rd & 1, just throw it away. You have a good defense behind you. Punt the ball and give the defense another 20-30 yards to work with.

I think he's so accustomed to trying to do everything himself in Washington that he tries to do wayyyyyyy too much.

Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins has thrown the ball well this year, but there’s one thing he still needs to clean up, and it’s the same thing that has plagued him throughout his career: fumbles. Cousins has fumbled six times this season and lost five of them. Since he became a full-time starter before the 2015 season, Cousins has fumbled 37 times and lost 16 of them. Both of those totals are the most in the NFL over the last four years.

Zimmer:  “I’m concerned about all the fumbles. We’ve got to do a better job.I think the two times, the two that I remember t hat he fumbled, both times guys were coming from behind him. He’s got to, when he starts moving up in the pocket, he has to be ready to put the ball away, so we’ll address that.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/20/mike-zimmer-concerned-about-kirk-cousins-fumbles/

Cousins leads the NFL with eight fumbles this season, and has lost an NFL-most five. Four of his lost fumbles have come on strip sacks.

At least the protection was better Sunday. Cousins was sacked once.

Cousins completed 25 of 40 passes for 241 yards and two touchdowns. He had three passes tipped at the line of scrimmage, which also has been an issue this season.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/10/21/vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-keeps-fumble-streak-alive-but-this-one-worked-out-ok/

13 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

How about all of the batted passes? Is that on Kirk, the OL, the DL making a play? A mix of all 3?

I think it's a combo of all

I heard on the radio today that Kirk plants pretty firm in the pocket when going to throw and QBs like Brees & Brady will slide just a few inches to the right or left to get a better throwing lane. Brees especially since he's a smaller QB.

Anyone have access to or know where to find % of plays run out of a formation for various offenses? I have been curious why we don’t utilize more shotgun formations given our O-line problems and dynamic receivers. I could be wrong by it seems like we run the same formations a lot. 

A layer deeper question would be is there any evidence that shotgun formations lead to lower QB pressures? Late night ponderings. 

Edited by HitStickAllDay

Cousins played a smarter game manager game vs the Jets in terms of avoiding dangerous targets, and didn’t turn the ball over, but he had 2 brain cramps that could’ve led to points against — the back pass throwaway fumble to Diggs, and the 3rd down play where he retreated from the rush and probably should’ve given up a safety. 

I wanted to see more intermediate routes, not just a diet of screens with occasional deep shots. I guess that’s partly on the play caller but Cousins is looking for the home runs when he does get to drop back and survey his options. To his credit, he’s hitting the deep balls and scoring points — two 30+ yard TDs, the second of them a 4th down conversion — an absolute dagger. 

Saints game will be the biggest moment for Cousins since the Packers and Rams. The reason the Vikings wanted Cousins is so they could keep up with good offenses. He did his job late in the Lambeau game and went toe to toe with the Rams. Hard to believe the Saints with Brees score any less than 24-28 points especially if most or all of Rhodes, Joseph, Griffen and Barr (4 Pro Bowlers last year) are out — so Cousins will probably need to put up 30 to win it. 

The game manager stuff vs the Cards and Jets didn’t go great for Cousins, but it’s the potential for a more explosive offense that got him the big contract. If Cousins can lead the team to a win on Sunday it’ll be clear he’s earning that salary, halfway through his first year in purple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Not sure what you’re watching, Cousins has attempted 233 passes from shotgun compared to 67 passes from under center. 

And that, friends, is why I asked the question. Looking for information. Was just trying to understand why Cousins is one of the most if not the most pressured QB in the league.