The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, HitStickAllDay said:

And that, friends, is why I asked the question. Looking for information. Was just trying to understand why Cousins is one of the most if not the most pressured QB in the league. 

Rashod Hill and Mike Remmers

Edited by SemperFeist

That is a terribly short sighted article, and quite frankly, a complete waste of time.

And quite frankly, the author is wrong. Cousins has been better than advertised. For a guy that many said could only be effective if he were kept clean, Cousins has been one of the best QBs under pressure, while being pressured the 2nd most among QBs who’ve started all 8 games.

This author seems to be trying to put the blame on Cousins for a lot of things that are out of his control. And he seems to be only using one game to do it. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Really?

Cousins hasn't been amazing but he's been effective. He's throwing accurately including deep downfield. He seems to be seeing the field well. He isn't missing open targets. 

He's under a lot of pressure, and has handled that well. Two of the sacks yesterday were right up the middle in barely 2 seconds. 

The play calling and running game haven't made his life any easier. Thielen and Diggs have been excellent (mistakes last night aside) but the other receivers aren't doing him any favors. The defense hasn't done much to win games this year. 

He's made a few mistakes, mainly the fumbles. He hasn't made many turnover worthy throws -- two INTs bounced off receivers hands and another was caused by Diggs' mistake. The batted passes are an issue but it's not clear how much of that is really under his control. He could be more efficient and aggressive in hurry up situations. 

Overall Cousins is clearly not a top 5 QB but he's playing better than Keenum or Bradford did the last 2 years. He's comparable in quality to Stafford, a step down from Ryan and not even close to as good as Rodgers at his best. And his contract is exactly in line with that. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

Quarterback play is one of the very few areas on the team that is improved this year.

We got a competent QB for a change, locked up for 3 years, that isn't injury prone, gets along well with teammates and coaches, making incredible throws under pressure, and has thrown for 2500+ yards in half a season.  Compared to Ponder, Webb, Cassel, Bridgewater, Bradford, and Keenum, I'll take it.  It doesn't bother me that he got paid megabucks.  It's not my money.

This just isn't the Vikings' year.  We seemed to have the wind to our backs all last year.  This year is only half over and I don't have the time or inclination to list all the crap, but this just isn't their year.  It happens.  Enjoy the good parts.  It's only football.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Really?

Cousins hasn't been amazing but he's been effective. He's throwing accurately including deep downfield. He seems to be seeing the field well. He isn't missing open targets. 

He's under a lot of pressure, and has handled that well. Two of the sacks yesterday were right up the middle in barely 2 seconds. 

The play calling and running game haven't made his life any easier. Thielen and Diggs have been excellent (mistakes last night aside) but the other receivers aren't doing him any favors. The defense hasn't done much to win games this year. 

He's made a few mistakes, mainly the fumbles. He hasn't made many turnover worthy throws -- two INTs bounced off receivers hands and another was caused by Diggs' mistake. The batted passes are an issue but it's not clear how much of that is really under his control. He could be more efficient and aggressive in hurry up situations. 

Overall Cousins is clearly not a top 5 QB but he's playing better than Keenum or Bradford did the last 2 years. He's comparable in quality to Stafford, a step down from Ryan and not even close to as good as Rodgers at his best. And his contract is exactly in line with that. 

Even though I was somewhat disappointed in his performance last night, I concur that Freeman's article was basically hot garbage and awfully negative.  But, that's not Freeman's first time making some extreme comments towards the Vikings and it probably won't be his last...he likes to get clicks.  In 3 weeks, he might post about Danielle Hunter being the greatest DE since Strahan and Everson Griffen is Jason Taylor-incarnate.  

Kirk Cousins has been pressured on 41% of his drop backs. Of qualifying QBs, only Deshaun Watson has faced more pressure. That’s despite Cousins getting rid of the ball in an average of 2.46 seconds, the 9th quickest time among QBs with at least 200 drop backs on the year.

For comparison, in 2017, Keenum was pressured on 39% of his drop backs, Sam Bradford was pressured on 33% of his drop backs in 2016, and Bridgewater was pressured on 46% of his drop backs in 2015. 

4 hours ago, since72 said:

Compared to Ponder, Webb, Cassel, Bridgewater, Bradford, and Keenum, I'll take it.  It doesn't bother me that he got paid megabucks.  It's not my money.

This is what a lot of people don't get.   They want to immediately compare him to brady/Brees/Rodgers...compare him to what we've had in the past

• Like 1

Cousins has been better than I expected. No one expected him to be a Brady, Brees, Rodgers. He wouldn't be that far off if he was better manipulating the pocket.

Does cousins always tap the ball right before winding up? It seems like they are really timing the jumps right

14 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It seems like they are really timing the jumps right

A lot of this falls on the offensive linemen. They need to be a better job at staying engaged, which doesn’t allow the defender to set up and jump. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a lot of the deflected passes started after we started seeing multiple injuries along the o-line.