The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  I think desperation trades to salvage a season are a great way to end up in purgatory.  The Packers could have gone out and gotten Kaepernick or some other QB to keep their hopes alive last year.  They didn't, and they ended up with the most promising rookie cornerback they have ever had in my time watching the Packers plus an additional first round pick in 2019. 

This is something that's not new for me.  I have ALWAYS put value on draft picks and draft capital.  I think it's huge.  It's why I think the Cowboys will regret in the long term that Cooper trade, why the Bears will regret in the long term that Mack trade, etc. 

Everything I stand by in my football belief centers around three principles:

Patience, draft capital and cap space. 

Cousins kills two of those.  Mack kills three of those. 

I'll just disagree in that I think there's a huge difference between bringing in a player in Week 6 then bringing one just prior to the season.  5-6 games in and your QB gets injured, there is really no other option than to ride it out with your backup QB, since the new QB has absolutely no time to learn the playbook.  But, 8 days prior to the season, there is at least a chance...and it was also a unique situation in that Bradford and Shurmur had worked together previously in 2 different places, so they knew each other and knew how they thought and learned.  If it hadn't been Bradford, I suspect that they would have rode it out with Hill.  But, the opportunity arose and I don't blame them for giving up the 1st round pick.  And it almost paid off.  If weren't for significant injuries (even significantly more than what they've suffered this season) along the offensive line, they likely would have been a playoff team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  I think desperation trades to salvage a season are a great way to end up in purgatory.  The Packers could have gone out and gotten Kaepernick or some other QB to keep their hopes alive last year.  They didn't, and they ended up with the most promising rookie cornerback they have ever had in my time watching the Packers plus an additional first round pick in 2019. 

This is something that's not new for me.  I have ALWAYS put value on draft picks and draft capital.  I think it's huge.  It's why I think the Cowboys will regret in the long term that Cooper trade, why the Bears will regret in the long term that Mack trade, etc. 

Everything I stand by in my football belief centers around three principles:

Patience, draft capital and cap space. 

Cousins kills two of those.  Mack kills three of those. 

Rodgers suffered an injury that he was going to come back from the same season. He didn’t suffer an injury that MANY thought was career ending. Had Bridgewater simply torn his ACL, I don’t believe we would have seen the trade, but it wasn’t that simple. 

And it’s easy for fans to say that they value draft capital over everything else, because you’ve got nothing to lose. You can’t be fired. 

How many people in the Packers’ organization lost their jobs because of their decision to stick with Hundley? I wonder if they share your thoughts?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I'll just disagree in that I think there's a huge difference between bringing in a player in Week 6 then bringing one just prior to the season.  5-6 games in and your QB gets injured, there is really no other option than to ride it out with your backup QB, since the new QB has absolutely no time to learn the playbook.  But, 8 days prior to the season, there is at least a chance...and it was also a unique situation in that Bradford and Shurmur had worked together previously in 2 different places, so they knew each other and knew how they thought and learned.  If it hadn't been Bradford, I suspect that they would have rode it out with Hill.  But, the opportunity arose and I don't blame them for giving up the 1st round pick.  And it almost paid off.  If weren't for significant injuries (even significantly more than what they've suffered this season) along the offensive line, they likely would have been a playoff team.

Another thing we should probably take into account is that they were under pressure to win in a season where we were opening up a new stadium, so there was that as well.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

and I don't blame them for giving up the 1st round pick.  And it almost paid off.  If weren't for significant injuries (even significantly more than what they've suffered this season) along the offensive line, they likely would have been a playoff team.

Yeah, no one was complaining after the 5-0 start. 

• Like 1

Welp, good points from everyone here.  I appreciate the good discussion and the not getting antsy about outside views.  Seems more civil in here with QB detractors than in my own forum because anytime I say anything bad about Rodgers I get a bunch of grief and people calling me an idiot. 

I hope y'all lose two games if the Packers win out.  Otherwise I want you to reach the playoffs to kill your draft slot.  Either way, enjoy your season. 

• Like 3

Just now, vike daddy said:

Santa bring you your lump of coal early or something? lol

I'm just being honest because I hate those disingenuous good luck proclamations.  I like the idea of them, but we all know I don't want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl (I wouldn't care all that much if you did though).  I'm a Packer fan though, so I want you guys to be worse next year so it's easier for the Packers to beat you, so it's only natural I hope you wreck your draft position and/or lose two games to give the Packers a chance to get into the playoffs.    Still want you all to enjoy your season regardless.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm just being honest because I hate those disingenuous good luck proclamations.  I like the idea of them, but we all know I don't want the Vikings to win a Super Bowl (I wouldn't care all that much if you did though).  I'm a Packer fan though, so I want you guys to be worse next year so it's easier for the Packers to beat you, so it's only natural I hope you wreck your draft position and/or lose two games to give the Packers a chance to get into the playoffs.    Still want you all to enjoy your season regardless.  

What if the Vikings sneak into the playoffs and accidently win the super bowl?

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I just don't like Cousins is all. 

I think Cousins is a fine QB and better than anything we've had in Minnesota in awhile. There will be games where the rest of the team needs to step up because he's having an off game. Most of the time he'll play well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Do over:

1) Sign Cousins to current deal.

2) Bridgewater for 1 year $6m.

3) Keenum for 2 years $36m.

4) Deshon Kizer 

I chose option 3.

And it wasn't hindsight. Even before any of them signed deals I stated what I would do if Cousins got $28M per year and Keenum $18M per year. I believe the Vikings would have won more games this year going the Keenum route while also having more flexibility to move onto any other QB option that may have presented itself.

Digging a bit deeper, my A-plan was to throw $70M at Brees for two years to try and change his mind about staying in New Orleans. I still think there is a dollar amount that would have convinced him to move on from New Orleans; he waited until free agency before signing his deal for a reason.

When that didn't work out my B-plan was to sign Teddy first and then keep Keenum using the franchise tag if needed.

None of that matters now though. The team needs to figure out what to do going forward. Changing offensive coordinators was the obvious first step. Given the QB Cousins is, dramatic improvements to the offensive line are also called for. I would be looking to get two starters before the draft. Assuming those guys are not young blue chip players I would also look to draft guys for the future.

I haven't looked a lot at what the options will be but based on this list I would look at guys like Ramon Foster, Matt Slausen, or Roger Saffold.  It looks like a solid group of free agent guards. Maybe Quinton Spain. I would be investigating trade options including Kelechi Osemele and Gabe Jackson.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

I think Cousins is a fine QB and better than anything we've had in Minnesota in awhile. There will be games where the rest of the team needs to step up because he's having an off game. Most of the time he'll play well.

There are 15-20 other fine QBs in that league, we just decided to throw a record contact at one of them.

Hes had about 4-6 "off games" btw, I'm starting to think that's just who he is.

• Like 2