The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

you're of the era to know how Bud Grant felt about this matter - it doesn't matter how talented the player is, if he isn't healthy enough to stay on the field.

Cousins beats out Teddy in this regard too, he's a very durable player.

Oh...I agree with you VD.  I was merely referring to the promise of Bridgewater pre-injury.  No, if he wasn't healthy enough to stay on the field, then he wasn't healthy enough to be on the team.

I am a fan of Bridgewater, but I still believe his personality is what has created the “hype” around him. And I feel like all of the hope that we had for him in 2016 got turned into a known level of play. I see a lot of people, not just on the is site, talk about Bridgewater like he’s a proven starting quarterback. But that certainly wasn’t the case before his injury, and three years without playing in any meaningful games hasn’t changed that. 

• Like 1

I think that the freshest thing in everyone’s mind with Teddy being the last preseason game where he ripped up San Diego (along with Stefon Diggs) leads to a bit of the hype surrounding him with our fan base as well. He’s an easy kid to root for, came back from a horrific injury, and showed flashes of ability... it’s definitely a recipe for some overinflation. 

12/16 for 161 and a TD against the Chargers that day. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

I think that the freshest thing in everyone’s mind with Teddy being the last preseason game where he ripped up San Diego (along with Stefon Diggs) leads to a bit of the hype surrounding him with our fan base as well. He’s an easy kid to root for, came back from a horrific injury, and showed flashes of ability... it’s definitely a recipe for some overinflation. 

12/16 for 161 and a TD against the Chargers that day. 

I vividly remember him hitting those 15 yard out routes on the sidelines....one of the hardest throws to make....like he was Peyton Manning. I thought he finally turned the corner and then.......

With what Zimmer always said/talked about him, there's not a doubt in my mind that if the organization wasn't concerned about his long term health, he'd be the QB here. Zimmer loved him but I just think there were too many red flags to move forward with him.

I do think that if Kirk never leaves Washington or signs else where....Teddy is the QB going into the 2018 season.

However, I also do agree that we tend to build him up a bit more in our heads because we all love the great, humble kid and the amazing comeback story he provided.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am not exactly sure I agree with you...the problems with the QB's since Favre is the gray area surrounding them.

Tarvaris Jackson--had good potential.  Played on a team dominated by Adrian Peterson, and terrible offensive strategy.

Joe Webb--Yes, Kirk is better than Joe Webb.

Christian Ponder--Yes, Kirk is better than Ponder.

Teddy Bridgewater--I'm a believer that had Teddy not been injured, he'd still be the starter and excelling beyond what Cousins is capable off.

Sam Bradford--Judging only pure talent, Sam has the best arm, by far, of anyone on this list.  He is also the most snake bit, brittle QB since Joe Namath!

Case Keenum--Statistically, Keenum's 2017 was one of the most exceptional years for a Vikings QB, ever!

So, I'm not yet sold that Cousins is the best we've had since '09.  I hope next season there will not be an argument.

I forgot about Teddy.  I agree with you on Teddy.  I'd take Cousins over all the rest though.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

What Shurmur did to highlight Keenum’s strengthles, while masking his deficiencies, was nothing short of outstanding. 

I'm not going to say the Case I saw last night isn't a little better if he's throwing to Thielen/Diggs/Rudy/Cook (aka superior talent) but there's zero way the guy sniffs his 2017 production with the JDF offense. I don't even want to hear that we should have kept Keenum.

It really makes you appreciate Shurmur even more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm not going to say the Case I saw last night isn't a little better if he's throwing to Thielen/Diggs/Rudy/Cook (aka superior talent) but there's zero way the guy sniffs his 2017 production with the JDF offense. I don't even want to hear that we should have kept Keenum.

It really makes you appreciate Shurmur even more.

Shurmur did do a good job of masking Case's deficiencies last year.  The problem is that he would have had a much tougher job doing that when defenses had a full offseason to study film and prepare for him this year.  We are seeing that in Denver. 

IMO, the Vikings did the best they could do by signing Cousins.  He was the best free agent quarterback who had become available since Peyton Manning.  We did what we could do.

The knock on Cousins is that he plays well in games that don't matter but he doesn't come through in big games.  Well, the next three games are essentially playoff games for us.  They will go a LONG way telling us what we have at the QB position.  If he plays well and leads us to wins, we will know we have the position covered.  If he doesn't come through, it might not be a bad idea to consider drafting a quarterback to take over for him in two years. 

Final point regarding quarterbacks who come up big in big games: Tim Tebow would have found a way to win that game against the Seahawks for us.