The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

.....The six highest-paid quarterbacks in terms of the average annual value of their contract in 2018 all missed the playoffs: Aaron Rodgers ($33.5M), Matt Ryan ($30M), Kirk Cousins ($28M), Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5M), Matthew Stafford ($27M), Derek Carr ($25M). Source: ESPN's Roster Management System.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least we're not alone....

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

......Kirk Cousins' contract is inevitably coming under fire with the Vikings missing the postseason, but he's not alone. The six highest-paid quarterbacks in terms of the average annual value of their contract in 2018 all missed the playoffs: Aaron Rodgers ($33.5M), Matt Ryan ($30M), Kirk Cousins ($28M), Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5M), Matthew Stafford ($27M), Derek Carr ($25M). Source: ESPN's Roster Management System.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rodgers is the only one remotely worth it. At least he's got one ring.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, vikingsrule said:

Rodgers is the only one remotely worth it. At least he's got one ring.

The only other team on that list of highest paid quarterbacks, other than the Vikings, who were thought to be legitimate contenders for a playoff spot were the Falcons.  Of all those teams, the Vikings have the most talent, across the board, then the others.  Our $84,000.000.00 quarterback didn't lead the most talented team on that list to the playoffs.  In fact, when it was all on the line, against the Bears in US Bank Stadium, with a win and your in scenario, Kirk and the Vikings played their worst game of the season...(I don't count the Bills game).

I am done blaming Cousins.  Truth is, I blame the front office.  If they no intention of upgrading the offensive line, the smart thing would've been to resign Keenum...who is much more productive running for his life, than Cousins.  I also have come to the realization that what we got from Cousins this year is the best that he has.  I won't blame any player who is playing at the very top of their ability.  I do not expect improvement from him in 2019.

The front office and the coaching staff need to gather a better offensive line, and scheme around his deficits.  I know that sounds simple...and I realize it's not, as it might call for Zimmer to work at things he's not particularly good at.  However, it's what has to happen if the Vikings have any hope...ANY HOPE...of becoming a playoff team again.

Frankly, after 51 years of waiting for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl, I have a gut feeling that I will be continuing to wait for the foreseeable future.  It's pissing me off. 

The Vikings front office did its part to upgrade the OL within the last two offseasons. They spent significant dollars on Reiff and Remmers and spent 2nd and 3rd round pick on two other starters. I don't know if it's the coaching staffs fault for not putting those players in a position to succeed or if the front office can't identify talent.

47 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Frankly, after 51 years of waiting for the Vikings to win the Super Bowl, I have a gut feeling that I will be continuing to wait for the foreseeable future.  It's pissing me off. 

I can't say I have been a fan for nearly as long as you. I was a baseball fan back then. The paid more attention to the big red machine than anything football. I have been a Vikings fan for long enough to absorb many of the gut punches the Vikings have delivered to their fans. While being a little behind, I am right there with you.

• Like 1

I believe it was @Virginia Viking who said Cousins puts up the stats but it doesn't lead to anything (paraphrasing). That certainly proved true this year. He crumbled when we needed him most, I would've liked to have seen him win the games at home (Saints, Bears, Bills) and at least one on the road (Rams, Bears, Patriots, Seahawks). We lost to some good teams this year, with the exception of the Bills who do appear to be a different team with Allen at QB.

It's crazy, but justified, that fans are upset at one of the most productive seasons for a Viking QB because we watched the 16 games and aren't just box-score scouting.

Edited by VikeManDan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VikeManDan said:

I believe it was @Virginia Viking who said Cousins puts up the stats but it doesn't lead to anything (paraphrasing). That certainly proved true this year. He crumbled when we need him most, I would've like to have seen him win the games at home and at least one on the road.

It's crazy, but justified, that fans are upset at one of the most productive seasons for a Viking QB because we watched the 16 games and aren't just box-score scouting.

Matt Ryan has had a similar career but he did manage to get to a super bowl. Can Cousins elevate himself to that status as a fringe top 10 QB?

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Matt Ryan has had a similar career but he did manage to get to a super bowl. Can Cousins elevate himself to that status as a fringe top 10 QB?

Maybe it is the homer/optimist in me but I think he can.I truly believe JDF could've set his personal aspirations of becoming an HC aside and called a better offense to succeed. (*I have no evidence to back that up.) Kirk is not without blame but we need to build the best OL we can and give it another go in 2019 and 2020. 

I'm hoping Stefanski gets the OC position and can remain through Cousins' contract, I feel that is wishful thinking considering he's set to interview with the Browns this year. I will add that whenever Zimmer is no longer the HC of this team (not something I'm an advocate of) the new HC needs to be an offensive minded HC. You can't afford to keep playing musical chairs at OC in today's game, this is coming from someone who would consider themselves a fan of the defensive side of the ball.

Edited by VikeManDan

On 12/31/2018 at 2:20 PM, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

.....The six highest-paid quarterbacks in terms of the average annual value of their contract in 2018 all missed the playoffs: Aaron Rodgers ($33.5M), Matt Ryan ($30M), Kirk Cousins ($28M), Jimmy Garoppolo ($27.5M), Matthew Stafford ($27M), Derek Carr ($25M). Source: ESPN's Roster Management System.

And this was the common sense argument against signing Cousins. QB's who count that high against their teams' salary caps have to be otherworldy to make up for deficiencies elsewhere. 

Hopefully management learns from this mistake. Draft and develop. Enough with the retreads. Keep taking QBs in the draft until you get the guy. And if he's just average, let him go after his rookie deal and start again. 

26 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not necessarily against retreads, we've had some of our best seasons with retreads, but we normally haven't committed this type of guaranteed cash to a QB before.

Probably because we've got a poor track record with QBs since Tarkenton retired. If you can't draft one, your signing one away from a team who's decided to move on for whatever reason. Outside of Favre and Brees, who won Super Bowls with their second teams, there aren't many examples of a QB signing somewhere and winning the super bowl. This explains why MN has routinely fell short of the super bowl since the 70s, or dumb luck.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikings front office did its part to upgrade the OL within the last two offseasons. They spent significant dollars on Reiff and Remmers and spent 2nd and 3rd round pick on two other starters. I don't know if it's the coaching staffs fault for not putting those players in a position to succeed or if the front office can't identify talent.

Well, spending money on Remmers was clearly a mistake.  I think Elflein has the talent, but the injuries/surgeries that he had in the offseason did a number on him physically, one from which he was never really able to recover.  Also, as I've mentioned in the past, they missed Easton more than people would have thought.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, spending money on Remmers was clearly a mistake.  I think Elflein has the talent, but the injuries/surgeries that he had in the offseason did a number on him physically, one from which he was never really able to recover.  Also, as I've mentioned in the past, they missed Easton more than people would have thought.  

I Agree with this post. Losing Easton hurt, he was earning himself a contract comparable to Remmers. Elflein needs an offseason healthy. Hopefully he bounces back. 

Remmers was okay at RT but G didn't work out.

Would the OL have been better this year if O'Neill and Remmers were your Tackles with Reiff at Guard?

Edited by vikingsrule

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Would the OL have been better this year if O'Neill and Remmers were your Tackles with Reiff at Guard?

I mean, I don’t know, Reiff is the better lineman. Maybe he would have been better than Remmers at guard, but we also don’t know how well O’Niell would truely play at LT.

Remmers by far was better at T than G, but I just know how much the switch would make us better, if any. 

In reality I think it probably would have been equal.