The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Probably because we've got a poor track record with QBs since Tarkenton retired. If you can't draft one, your signing one away from a team who's decided to move on for whatever reason. Outside of Favre and Brees, who won Super Bowls with their second teams, there aren't many examples of a QB signing somewhere and winning the super bowl. This explains why MN has routinely fell short of the super bowl since the 70s, or dumb luck.

We've had Favre, Cunningham and couple others in Moon and McMahon who got us to the playoffs.  The big thing with those guys is they didn't cost much (except maybe Favre) and we could move on fairly easily.  It's obviously better to have a franchise guy though.

I thought Reiff & Remmers were average to slightly above average at best when they were LT/RT. But Spielman didn't account for Berger retiring and then Easton got hurt which forced Remmers to slide to guard (which he hasn't played as far as I can tell).

I'm not going to claim to be an O-Line expert but some people just don't have the body/frame to go from tackle to guard. Remmers played wayyyyy too tall for a guard. I really don't blame him for sucking at guard.....he was just put in a bad position because apparently Spielman was OK with just Nick Easton at guard this year.

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

We've had Favre, Cunningham and couple others in Moon and McMahon who got us to the playoffs.  The big thing with those guys is they didn't cost much (except maybe Favre) and we could move on fairly easily.  It's obviously better to have a franchise guy though.

Broncos Peyton Manning and Brad Johnson also won Super Bowls but they played on historically elite defenses. Just seems like there's two ways to winning a super bowl: have a historically significant defense with above average QB play or have an offense led by a HOF QB playing at an elite level. I don't know what that makes the Eagles last year. That one is truly shocking when you reflect on it.

Edited by vikingsrule

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Broncos Peyton Manning and Brad Johnson also won Super Bowls but they played on historically elite defenses. Just seems like there's two ways to winning a super bowl: have a historically significant defense with above average QB play or have an offense led by a HOF QB playing at an elite level. I don't know what that makes the Eagles last year. That one is truly shocking when you reflect on it.

They had a great defense playing at an Elite level, and an average QB playing at a HoF level during the playoff run.

25 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

We had something like that in 2017....

Elite defense. QB playing well out of his britches. Yet they didn't show up when it mattered.

Keenum was awful during the post season. That's when performance matters and why MN should have been one and done if it wasn't for Diggs.

I continue to wonder if the coaches really understand what they have in Kirk Cousins.  He is a difficult puzzle to put together.  He has great statistics (although, his out put diminished each successive week during the season) yet, when we watch him, it appears that he is playing at a bottom 5 quarterback level.  How can both these things be true?  Some will argue...and I have argued this about other players in the past...trust the statistics.  Others will say it was the fault of the offensive line playing historically bad.  I don't think I can full agree with either of those positions.  Two things would, in my mind, help Kirk be a better quarterback:

1. Sense pressure better.  He has terrible pocket awareness.  Yet, he's been in the league many years now and this has not improved.

2. Improve accuracy while rolling out of the pocket.  He seems to need a clean pocket and clear throwing lanes to be successful.  Well, I think I could be successful with a clean pocket and clear throwing lanes and I've got a wet noodle for an arm!  Truth of the NFL...he will never have consistent pocket protection, and he will have to force the ball every once in awhile. 

I think Kirk is aiming for perfection!  He's never going to reach it.  I don't know how much he can improve.  But does the coaching staff really see who they have in Kirk Cousins?

8 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I continue to wonder if the coaches really understand what they have in Kirk Cousins.  He is a difficult puzzle to put together.  He has great statistics (although, his out put diminished each successive week during the season) yet, when we watch him, it appears that he is playing at a bottom 5 quarterback level.  How can both these things be true?  Some will argue...and I have argued this about other players in the past...trust the statistics.  Others will say it was the fault of the offensive line playing historically bad.  I don't think I can full agree with either of those positions.  Two things would, in my mind, help Kirk be a better quarterback:

1. Sense pressure better.  He has terrible pocket awareness.  Yet, he's been in the league many years now and this has not improved.

2. Improve accuracy while rolling out of the pocket.  He seems to need a clean pocket and clear throwing lanes to be successful.  Well, I think I could be successful with a clean pocket and clear throwing lanes and I've got a wet noodle for an arm!  Truth of the NFL...he will never have consistent pocket protection, and he will have to force the ball every once in awhile. 

I think Kirk is aiming for perfection!  He's never going to reach it.  I don't know how much he can improve.  But does the coaching staff really see who they have in Kirk Cousins?

To me this is and always has been Kirk biggest problem. He doesn't get out of his own way or mange the chaos. Tries to be too perfect.  While he will never reach elite QB I do believe he can be near that next level.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

So Cousins is a good QB that just needs help on offense?

I believe he is a good enough QB yes. overall cousins didn't play bad and we all knew he wasn't worth the guaranteed money he got but also he was the best option at the time so the money was worth it for the necessity. We have a defense that when healthy has the talent of being a defense that can carry us. We have enough weapons on offense to produce points for that defense. We were unfortunate to loose our coach before the season started along with some much need OL starter which not only made us shift players around and loose depth. We didn't manage the clock very well which is probably why we let our OC go. IMO we need to get health but get some depth but ultimately could be a strong contender for SB with Kirk at the helm

• Like 2

This is an honest question....

Kirk has the EXACT same season but Carlson's kick goes through to beat GB and the defense shows up for the LA game (aka games where Kirk put his team into position to win but his supporting cast failed him). We finish 10-6 and make the playoffs.

Are we still this down on Kirk?