Jump to content
Heimdallr

The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn't that the fate of every coach and GM? Win a super bowl or get fired?

Even the Bengals fired Marvin Lewis despite hanging onto him for too long.

Well, yes, but this is a separate issue.

What I meant was: Cousins is the sort of QB who will either put your team over the top with the big play capability he brings compared to e.g. Case or Teddy, or he will bring your team down with his propensity for turning the ball over and not producing when it matters. And the fact of the matter is that Cousins had a very good year statistically but the Vikings went from 13-3 to 8-7-1. Some of that difference was a drop in the quality of the defence and special teams, but most of it was on the offence.

I also think that Zimmer and Spielman vastly underestimated the degree to which Case Keenum elevated the level of play of the offence in 2017 with his ability to evade pressure, extend plays and execute the play action pass. I think they may have fooled themselves into thinking that the OL was better than it is. Even the receivers - Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph - are all "contested ball" types who don't necessarily get great separation and generally need time to get open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diggs and Thielen are definitely great at catching contested balls when the QB puts them in that situation, but to suggest that they don't get separation is wrong IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Diggs and Thielen are definitely great at catching contested balls when the QB puts them in that situation, but to suggest that they don't get separation is wrong IMO.

You’re right, it’s horribly wrong. Diggs is incredible at creating separation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit disappointed in Cousins play during 4 games this year, but I was exceptionally encouraged by his play in 10 of the games.  The game against the Bills was atrocious.  The last game against the Bears wasn't any better.  

That said, when the Vikes signed Favre, every team in the league was sitting there going . . . holy cow!  The personalities of Favre and Cousins are different; they're different guys in that sense.  But, what you really expect from them on game day -- what they both do/did -- isn't much different.  Favre had the resume' by the time he came to the Vikings.  Cousins is trying to build the resume'.  Favre had been in the league 6 years before winning the SB.  Peyton Manning?  Remember how he couldn't win a playoff game, then he couldn't beat the Patriots . . . until he did and won it all.  Oh, and Favre with that O-Line and defensive front . . . he still lost 4 games regular season, and should've led the Vikes to the SB, but for the Saints.   

The Vikings don't need Cousins to play flawlessly every single game, nor does he need to carry the team every single game . . . no one can do that.  The key is the O-line and D-line carrying the day.  When a gameplan calls for running the ball a ton, like Miami, do it.  when you're in a shoot-out like in LA, fire away.  When you need a comeback . . . that's where Cousins needs to prove his worth.  Do the right things for 3 quarters to keep close and in the hunt . . . then finish.

I feel like this is similar to the Favre experiment . . . as fans, we're going to get one good shot at it.   If the experiment fails, the owners blow up the lab.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I'm a bit disappointed in Cousins play during 4 games this year, but I was exceptionally encouraged by his play in 10 of the games.  The game against the Bills was atrocious.  The last game against the Bears wasn't any better.  

That said, when the Vikes signed Favre, every team in the league was sitting there going . . . holy cow!  The personalities of Favre and Cousins are different; they're different guys in that sense.  But, what you really expect from them on game day -- what they both do/did -- isn't much different.  Favre had the resume' by the time he came to the Vikings.  Cousins is trying to build the resume'.  Favre had been in the league 6 years before winning the SB.  Peyton Manning?  Remember how he couldn't win a playoff game, then he couldn't beat the Patriots . . . until he did and won it all.  Oh, and Favre with that O-Line and defensive front . . . he still lost 4 games regular season, and should've led the Vikes to the SB, but for the Saints.   

The Vikings don't need Cousins to play flawlessly every single game, nor does he need to carry the team every single game . . . no one can do that.  The key is the O-line and D-line carrying the day.  When a gameplan calls for running the ball a ton, like Miami, do it.  when you're in a shoot-out like in LA, fire away.  When you need a comeback . . . that's where Cousins needs to prove his worth.  Do the right things for 3 quarters to keep close and in the hunt . . . then finish.

I feel like this is similar to the Favre experiment . . . as fans, we're going to get one good shot at it.   If the experiment fails, the owners blow up the lab.

 

I see where you are going with this, but I hope we have a bigger window than the 2009 team. 

We should be in playoff contention next season. It all just needs to gel first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s a lot of grass

Plus, you have to look at the DBs they are going up against.  Lamarcus Joyner (Rams) vs. Ronald Darby (Eagles)...I'm not sure there's much comparison.  That's got to be one of the worst takes I've seen.  

Edited by swede700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple slant vs a deep out as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Via Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Vikings quarterback said during an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that last year could not be viewed as a success on any level.

Cousins: “The short answer is no. We didn’t make the playoffs. There were high expectations and we didn’t deliver, and so I’ve been frustrated since the season ended. I wish the 2019 season started tomorrow, I’m ready to go and make amends for 2018. It’s been frustrating to know I have to sit here for whatever it is, seven or eight months before we get back at it. It has been a tough January for me. I haven’t been sleeping well, that kind of a thing, because, yeah, it just left a bad taste in my mouth the way the season finished up.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/kirk-cousins-has-been-frustrated-all-offseason/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Via Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the Vikings quarterback said during an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show that last year could not be viewed as a success on any level.

Cousins: “The short answer is no. We didn’t make the playoffs. There were high expectations and we didn’t deliver, and so I’ve been frustrated since the season ended. I wish the 2019 season started tomorrow, I’m ready to go and make amends for 2018. It’s been frustrating to know I have to sit here for whatever it is, seven or eight months before we get back at it. It has been a tough January for me. I haven’t been sleeping well, that kind of a thing, because, yeah, it just left a bad taste in my mouth the way the season finished up.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/08/kirk-cousins-has-been-frustrated-all-offseason/

 

 

Feel bad for him, but he didn't learn from the last time he failed to lead his team to victory when the playoffs were on the line with a win and in type situation. Happened in Washington and he gave the same answer that he'd have to reflect all offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the "Kurt" Cousins interview with Dan Patrick.  I find it interesting that the draft profile that he read included many things that he is still criticized for this season.  I also worry a little bit about the kind of pressure he's putting on himself.  I get that he feels bad about the season...but not sleeping well...eager to get back at it without letting his body rest and recover...this kind of extra pressure seems to me to have a detrimental side and could inhibit rather than help his performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×