Heimdallr

The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We got rid of that chump playcaller. 

Brett Kollmann makes an interesting argument in defense of Cousins in the big losses last year:

I agree the blame has fallen too heavily on Cousins for what his mistakes actually were.

The Vikings were badly outcoached in the Pats game, the Saints game turned on a series of unfortunate plays that weren’t Cousins’ fault, the defense collapsed against the Rams, and the OL was an Achilles heel throughout.

I do think Cousins ideally would have done better in some of those situations, but it’s obvious from the video that a lot of his sacks weren’t realistically avoidable, and as the year went on defenses were able to take away some of his best options, schematically.

It’s obvious that Cousins does have limitations as a QB, but I think there’s reason to be optimistic that the offense will work much better this year, including in bigger games. 

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Brett Kollmann makes an interesting argument in defense of Cousins in the big losses last year:

I agree the blame has fallen too heavily on Cousins for what his mistakes actually were.

The Vikings were badly outcoached in the Pats game, the Saints game turned on a series of unfortunate plays that weren’t Cousins’ fault, the defense collapsed against the Rams, and the OL was an Achilles heel throughout.

I do think Cousins ideally would have done better in some of those situations, but it’s obvious from the video that a lot of his sacks weren’t realistically avoidable, and as the year went on defenses were able to take away some of his best options, schematically.

It’s obvious that Cousins does have limitations as a QB, but I think there’s reason to be optimistic that the offense will work much better this year, including in bigger games. 

I don't think any of the losses can be fully blamed on Cousins.  The offensive line was Swiss cheese all season, and JDF was quite possibly the dumbest play caller in Viking history...and that's saying something (Coach Chilly!). However, if you looked at Cousins passing yardage per game, you will notice that after the first Green Bay game, his yardage went down every single game that followed.  The more "heroic" crap he tried the worse the results.  No, he can't be fully blamed...but neither can he be fully exonerated, which means he can be charged upon leaving office...oh wait...