The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

• 3 weeks later...

Brett Kollmann makes an interesting argument in defense of Cousins in the big losses last year:

I agree the blame has fallen too heavily on Cousins for what his mistakes actually were.

The Vikings were badly outcoached in the Pats game, the Saints game turned on a series of unfortunate plays that weren’t Cousins’ fault, the defense collapsed against the Rams, and the OL was an Achilles heel throughout.

I do think Cousins ideally would have done better in some of those situations, but it’s obvious from the video that a lot of his sacks weren’t realistically avoidable, and as the year went on defenses were able to take away some of his best options, schematically.

It’s obvious that Cousins does have limitations as a QB, but I think there’s reason to be optimistic that the offense will work much better this year, including in bigger games. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

Brett Kollmann makes an interesting argument in defense of Cousins in the big losses last year:

I agree the blame has fallen too heavily on Cousins for what his mistakes actually were.

The Vikings were badly outcoached in the Pats game, the Saints game turned on a series of unfortunate plays that weren’t Cousins’ fault, the defense collapsed against the Rams, and the OL was an Achilles heel throughout.

I do think Cousins ideally would have done better in some of those situations, but it’s obvious from the video that a lot of his sacks weren’t realistically avoidable, and as the year went on defenses were able to take away some of his best options, schematically.

It’s obvious that Cousins does have limitations as a QB, but I think there’s reason to be optimistic that the offense will work much better this year, including in bigger games. 

I don't think any of the losses can be fully blamed on Cousins.  The offensive line was Swiss cheese all season, and JDF was quite possibly the dumbest play caller in Viking history...and that's saying something (Coach Chilly!). However, if you looked at Cousins passing yardage per game, you will notice that after the first Green Bay game, his yardage went down every single game that followed.  The more "heroic" crap he tried the worse the results.  No, he can't be fully blamed...but neither can he be fully exonerated, which means he can be charged upon leaving office...oh wait...

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Absolutely terrible idea.  Whether most like it or not, they have to ride with Cousins for this year, good or bad.  In the end, he'll still have plenty of good to him, but until he proves otherwise, they can't count on him in crunch-time.  

I'm going to take this discussion out of the Gameday thread, as it's not really warranted to be there...but, apparently, even though it's not exactly groundbreaking to say what I said, it's being reinforced here...

But at some point, Cousins will have to make a play to win a crucial game. And to this juncture, he has given no reason to believe he is up for the challenge.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055508/article/vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-continues-to-come-up-small-in-big-spots

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm going to take this discussion out of the Gameday thread, as it's not really warranted to be there...but, apparently, even though it's not exactly groundbreaking to say what I said, it's being reinforced here...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055508/article/vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-continues-to-come-up-small-in-big-spots

So what's the solution?  Another season going 8-8, or 9-7 and missing the playoffs?  It seems the team is stuck with Cousins for the duration of his contract.  That means that at the end of his contract other players that are very productive will also be two years older, with two more years of dings, bumps and bruises, with no guarantee that they will ever be as productive as they are now.  I really think that the Packers and the Bears are ripe for the picking now with the hope of another divisional championship banner flying in US Bank Stadium...but Kirk is a liability in big games.  No team can survive a quarterback playing poorly when the game is on the line...or at least THIS team cannot afford its quarterback playing small when the stakes are the biggest.

9 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

It seems the team is stuck with Cousins for the duration of his contract.

That is kind of a defeatist attitude. There is a definite chance the Vikings can unload the '20 year of the Kirk Cousins contract on some other team. He is not the terrible QB he appears to be at times. Nobody should be judged by their worst day. Would you want to be judged by your worst day? None of us would. I shudder to think of being judged by my own worst days. Kirk Cousins is good enough to beat the bad teams in the NFL; he is an average NFL QB. Not many people on this earth can make that claim. I think there is a team out there that would take him even with the burden brought on by his contract.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

So what's the solution?  Another season going 8-8, or 9-7 and missing the playoffs?  It seems the team is stuck with Cousins for the duration of his contract.  That means that at the end of his contract other players that are very productive will also be two years older, with two more years of dings, bumps and bruises, with no guarantee that they will ever be as productive as they are now.  I really think that the Packers and the Bears are ripe for the picking now with the hope of another divisional championship banner flying in US Bank Stadium...but Kirk is a liability in big games.  No team can survive a quarterback playing poorly when the game is on the line...or at least THIS team cannot afford its quarterback playing small when the stakes are the biggest.

There is no other option at this point other than to have hope that he can maybe get lucky and not hurt the team when the stakes are biggest.  A feeble Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl.  Hell, even Eli Manning got lucky bounces twice.  This team has no other option this season.  Next season, that's another question.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

They can still win quite a few games but riding the running game and defense. We just needs cousins to make a couple more throws

We're not that far off. This team can still make the playoffs. We SHOULD get to 2-1 next week and Green Bay nor Chicago are impressive. We should have beat Green Bay easily despite a poor defensive performance in the first half and horrible QB play yesterday and Chicago should have lost if it wasn't for one of the worst RTP calls in NFL history. 

Kirk SUCKED and he SUCKED HARD yesterday but he's not going to suck that bad the rest of the season. There's too much of a sample size to say yesterday's performance IS Kirk Cousins.

I think only throwing the ball 10 times in week one hurt Kirk more than it helped the team. He came into week 2 against our biggest rival with only 10 regular season passes. That's only 10 passes for him to work off the rust and get back to seeing real NFL defenses. 10 passes to get into rhythm with his receivers.

Is that an excuse to play how he did Sunday? Not at all. There's no excuses for THAT. But I do think it had something to do with it.

I just don't see Kirk sucking as bad as he did yesterday for the remaining 14 games. That's a bit of positivity I guess.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

....and Chicago should have lost if it wasn't for one of the worst RTP calls in NFL history. 

I'd just like to point out, in case any Bears fans are browsing the forum, they had 2 just as bad RTP calls go against them in that game.

With that being said the officiating in a lot of games left A LOT to be desired going forward.

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

We're not that far off. This team can still make the playoffs. We SHOULD get to 2-1 next week and Green Bay nor Chicago are impressive. We should have beat Green Bay easily despite a poor defensive performance in the first half and horrible QB play yesterday and Chicago should have lost if it wasn't for one of the worst RTP calls in NFL history. 

Kirk SUCKED and he SUCKED HARD yesterday but he's not going to suck that bad the rest of the season. There's too much of a sample size to say yesterday's performance IS Kirk Cousins.

I think only throwing the ball 10 times in week one hurt Kirk more than it helped the team. He came into week 2 against our biggest rival with only 10 regular season passes. That's only 10 passes for him to work off the rust and get back to seeing real NFL defenses. 10 passes to get into rhythm with his receivers.

Is that an excuse to play how he did Sunday? Not at all. There's no excuses for THAT. But I do think it had something to do with it.

I just don't see Kirk sucking as bad as he did yesterday for the remaining 14 games. That's a bit of positivity I guess.

I'm proud of you ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'd just like to point out, in case any Bears fans are browsing the forum, they had 2 just as bad RTP calls go against them in that game.

With that being said the officiating in a lot of games left A LOT to be desired going forward.

I think the NFL is moving towards an officiating problem. Just seems that we’re talking more and more about how officiating can control the outcomes of games. I wish what can be reviewed was much simpler, I’m just concerned that the quality of officiating is declining as a greater reliance on technology increases. Maybe my concern is unwarranted but I feel like the officials have a much greater presence than ever before. Certainly has made the product a bit more cumbersome to watch.  Maybe I wouldn’t be complaining if Zimmer could get his team under control.