The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

I’ve been re-watching games from last year. I’m not convinced Cousins is incapable of bringing us to the promised land. Is he currently broken? Yes. Can he be fixed? Well, maybe. 

If you’ve NFL game pass go re-watch the Jets, Cardinals, and especially NO games. Does he look shaken? I don’t think so. There’s also another another interesting thing to notice. We run/pass wayyyyyyy more out of shotgun. This was under JDF, sure. But I really think we should operate out of the shotgun way more often with Cousins. Maybe Cousins folds under pressure and against good teams. But let’s put him in the best situations possible. 

In the New Orleans game especially last year, Cousins is committing to his passes. Seeing the field and firing despite pressure in his face. He’s throwing the ball down the field and giving his receivers a chance. The problem may not be all Cousins. It might be the offensive pass philosophy/scheme. 

I’m all kinds of bi-polar right now with how I’m thinking about Cousins. I’ll keep watching to see where he gets broken. 

I still 100% get and agree with the signing at the time.

with the players we had, we basically had a 3 year window from the signing.

Obviously the ownership, GM, and Coaching staff didn’t believe winning the Super Bowl with Case Keenum was possible.

We can all play the Lamar Jackson card, I was in for keeping Keenum. Pulled out mock drafts, but with Kirk actually being a possibility I did agree with signing him giving us probably the best chance to win in that window.

Lamar Jackson of just last year doesn’t make this team better last year. This year, he might, but his rapid development is starting to come back down to the mean. 

Kirk may have been the best option, I’m just not sure it was the right option for the future.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I still 100% get and agree with the signing at the time.

with the players we had, we basically had a 3 year window from the signing.

Obviously the ownership, GM, and Coaching staff didn’t believe winning the Super Bowl with Case Keenum was possible.

We can all play the Lamar Jackson card, I was in for keeping Keenum. Pulled out mock drafts, but with Kirk actually being a possibility I did agree with signing him giving us probably the best chance to win in that window.

Lamar Jackson of just last year doesn’t make this team better last year. This year, he might, but his rapid development is starting to come back down to the mean. 

Kirk may have been the best option, I’m just not sure it was the right option for the future.

If others recall, I was never in favor of Cousins' signing.  I was afraid that we would get the same quarterback that led the Redskins.  Unfortunately, Cousins has pretty much lived up to my expectations.  I was in favor of keeping Teddy, but could've lived with Keenum.  Now, all I can say, is that the quarterback position, for the foreseeable future, is a mess.  I think Cousins, barring injury starts the remainder of this season and next.  If the same kind of production that the team is getting in the passing game continues on for Cousins tenure, I don't see Zimmer surviving.

I think that the Vikings will start the 2021 season with a rookie GM, a rookie head coach, and a rookie QB.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

If others recall, I was never in favor of Cousins' signing.  I was afraid that we would get the same quarterback that led the Redskins.  Unfortunately, Cousins has pretty much lived up to my expectations.  I was in favor of keeping Teddy, but could've lived with Keenum.  Now, all I can say, is that the quarterback position, for the foreseeable future, is a mess.  I think Cousins, barring injury starts the remainder of this season and next.  If the same kind of production that the team is getting in the passing game continues on for Cousins tenure, I don't see Zimmer surviving.

I think that the Vikings will start the 2021 season with a rookie GM, a rookie head coach, and a rookie QB.

I guess I struggle to fault Zimmer for any of this in regards to the QB mismanagement. It’s Spielman’s job to find talent. Spielman has used 3 first round picks and a ton of money on the position.

It’s Zimmer’s job to find an offensive staff. For the most part, Zimmer’s staff hires have been praised. Outside of DeFilippo, I don’t think he’s made bad offensive staff hires. But maybe that’s the problem. Maybe teams ought to stop hiring defensive oriented head coaches, seems outdated for today’s NFL.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I guess I struggle to fault Zimmer for any of this in regards to the QB mismanagement. It’s Spielman’s job to find talent. Spielman has used 3 first round picks and a ton of money on the position.

It’s Zimmer’s job to find an offensive staff. For the most part, Zimmer’s staff hires have been praised. Outside of DeFilippo, I don’t think he’s made bad offensive staff hires. But maybe that’s the problem. Maybe teams ought to stop hiring defensive oriented head coaches, seems outdated for today’s NFL.

Perhaps.  My comment had less to do with Zimmer's connection with the offense, and more about what the likely win-loss record of the team will be.  If the Vikings continue to hover around .500 and continue to miss the playoffs, I think Zimmer will be gone.

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I was in favor of keeping Teddy

I’m sure a lot of people wanted that. The team knew more about his knee than anyone in the NFL. They obviously didn’t feel comfortable Teddy’s knee was 100% and safe enough he could get us farther in this window. 

I feel its it’s safe to say 99% of us just would have loved for the Teddy injury to not happen, no Bradford trade, and now have the possibility of adding a offensive lineman or defensive lineman to the team.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’m sure a lot of people wanted that. The team knew more about his knee than anyone in the NFL. They obviously didn’t feel comfortable Teddy’s knee was 100% and safe enough he could get us farther in this window. 

I feel its it’s safe to say 99% of us just would have loved for the Teddy injury to not happen, no Bradford trade, and now have the possibility of adding a offensive lineman or defensive lineman to the team.

Right.  My thought was that he was going to work his way back to full strength...but there are no guarantees.  THAT DAMN INJURY!!  I thought Teddy was about to come into his own in that offense and be "the guy."

33 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think signing Cousins was the right move (at that time given options).

I think moving on from Cousins as soon as possible is now the right move (at this time given this team)

I agree, though in hindsight I’d take Teddy given the pay difference. Cousins is clearly a better QB than Teddy but not $15-20 million better. 

I also agree that if Cousins continues on his trajectory and fails to win against good competition, he needs to be cut in 2020. Cap hit be damned, there’s nothing worse than hanging onto a QB who you know is not the answer and may be creating locker room conflicts. Find a way to make cap space to sign a stop gap (maybe Teddy, Keemun, Tannehill, etc), resign key free agents (one of the CBs, Harris) and go all in on drafting a QB. I know there will be some holes on the roster and some long term concerns, but I think fixing this QB issue has to be top priority. I think this all has to be done with a new GM though, I don’t trust Spielman to make these moves and to identify a QB in the draft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

No.

I'm sorry, but that is not debatable.  Tim Tebow in his first and only year as a starter, took over a 1-4 team, led them to the playoffs, and even won a playoff game.  I don't see how anyone can argue that this is not better than what we have (or probably ever will) seen from Kirk Cousins.  He also had probably half a dozen 4th quarter comebacks during that season.  It may have been ugly, but the point is, he found a way to get the job done and nobody can argue with that.  

Edited by Uncle Buck

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I'm sorry, but that is not debateable.  Tim Tebow, in his first and only year as a starter, took over a 1-4 team, led them to the playoffs, and even won a playoff game.  I don't see how anyone can argue that this is not better than what we have (or probably ever will) seen from Kirk Cousins.  He also had probably half a dozen 4th quarter comebacks during that season.  It may have been ugly, but the point is, he found a way to get the job done and nobody can argue with that.  

They won in spite of him, not because of him.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Nice try, but if they were good enough to "win in spite of him", why did they go 1-4 and have to have their QB replaced in the first place?  Nope.  That argument doesn't work.

Way off topic, so I'm not interested in discussing this any further, but Tim Tebow is a bad QB that is out of the league because he is bad at playing quarterback. full stop.

8 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

I’ve been re-watching games from last year. I’m not convinced Cousins is incapable of bringing us to the promised land. Is he currently broken? Yes. Can he be fixed? Well, maybe. 

If you’ve NFL game pass go re-watch the Jets, Cardinals, and especially NO games. Does he look shaken? I don’t think so. There’s also another another interesting thing to notice. We run/pass wayyyyyyy more out of shotgun. This was under JDF, sure. But I really think we should operate out of the shotgun way more often with Cousins. Maybe Cousins folds under pressure and against good teams. But let’s put him in the best situations possible. 

In the New Orleans game especially last year, Cousins is committing to his passes. Seeing the field and firing despite pressure in his face. He’s throwing the ball down the field and giving his receivers a chance. The problem may not be all Cousins. It might be the offensive pass philosophy/scheme. 

I’m all kinds of bi-polar right now with how I’m thinking about Cousins. I’ll keep watching to see where he gets broken. 

I agree with you on this, HitStick.  People are starting to claim that he can't pass.  He is actually a very good passer for the most part.  It's just when he gets under pressure that he gets rattled and things go pear-shaped.