The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

Cousins has been great since the Bears game. I don't expect him to continue this hot streak. It's unsustainable. But kudos to him for responding when things could have very easily gone off the rails.

That said, he's got a long way to go before writing a new narrative for himself. He needs to continue beating the teams we're supposed to handle, and he needs to show up when the teams are toughest and the lights are brightest. Here's to hoping he does.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Hopefully an inferior opponent can help start to change the narrative about Kirk in Prime Time games. Not only Kirk but the Vikings as well.

I don’t think it will considering the Redskims have only 1 win. Maybe the Dallas game?

Edited by vikingsrule

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

The Eagles also had the last ranked pass defense when we played them, did they not? You’re right to be cautious but the schedule still looks pretty easy the next four weeks.

I only care about the playoffs at this point, so sure, the next four weeks matter for getting there, but I only really care about winning in the playoffs at this point.....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins has been great since the Bears game. I don't expect him to continue this hot streak. It's unsustainable. But kudos to him for responding when things could have very easily gone off the rails.

That said, he's got a long way to go before writing a new narrative for himself. He needs to continue beating the teams we're supposed to handle, and he needs to show up when the teams are toughest and the lights are brightest. Here's to hoping he does.

Do you mean that it’s unsustainable for him or this type of hot streak is unsustainable in general?

1 hour ago, Torchezim said:

Do you mean that it’s unsustainable for him or this type of hot streak is unsustainable in general?

Probably both. Cousins is playing great. But he’s not going to sustain it, that’s almost certain given his track record. Expecting 300 yards and a QBR of 130 is a bit much. We need the defense to start hitting its peak to make up for it at some point.

3 hours ago, Torchezim said:

It's unsustainable for him, period.  As VR stated, it's his track record.  I don't expect him to sustain this type of streak, but a really good QB wouldn't drop off nearly as much as he tends to do, like he did last year.  

3 hours ago, Torchezim said:

It's unsustainable for Cousins, definitely. His last three games, when extrapolated over a full season, would amount to about 5200 yards passing, 53 tds, 5 INT's, and a 75.5% completion percentage.

It's unsustainable for almost any QB, actually. Outside of Mahomes, Manning, Rodgers, and Brady, not many have come close to that kind of season. Manning's 2013 season and Mahomes' 2018 are about as close to that as the NFL has seen. 

That said, it really is a testament to how he has rebounded after the horrid start to the season. I don't expect him to perform like this all year, but I'd be happy with just not turning the ball over and helping to maintain balance on offense. 

• Like 3

Kirk is hot right now and playing great football.  I will be looking as to how he responds the next time the Vikings play a really good defense, or when the OL isn't playing as well as it is currently.  But, here's hoping he keeps it up!!

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

it really is a testament to how he has rebounded after the horrid start to the season

It was really just one truly terrible game (in Green Bay), where Cousins missed multiple open throws and put the ball in harm's way several times, including that awful decision on the game-losing INT. 

He was bad in Chicago, dropping his eyes from downfield targets, but the OL was overwhelmed and Diggs didn't help matters by killing a drive with a fumble. 

Cousins was good in his limited reps vs the Falcons (aside from 2 fumbles) and good vs the Raiders.