The 2018 Kirk Cousins Megathread

Heimdallr

8 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Well, we had a pretty decent schedule in 2017. We're going from the 27th highest SoS to the 8th highest SOS with a brutal road schedule.

But, Green Bay has the hardest SOS, Detroit is #2, and Chicago is tied with us at 8.

13-3 will be hard to replicate but I'll be fine with 12-4 or 11-5 and winning the North and hopefully snagging a 1st round bye again.

Anything less than winning the division will be a failure. 

You are right about the schedule and that the key will be the division.  AT Philly, AT New England,  AT Rams could be three losses right there.

This is my last critical post on the Cousins signing.  After he signs on the dotted line...he's our QB, and will have my support.  However, I'm still thinking this is a bad deal for the Vikings, if any more of the contract beyond 51% is fully guaranteed.  For awhile, anyway, it appears that Cousins is going to be the highest paid person in the league....until Rodgers get's his new contract.  However, if Trubisky improves in his 2nd and 3rd year with the Bears, by the second year of Cousins contract it's quite possible that the Vikings will have the 4th best quarterback in the NFCN.

What I would like to see from Cousins is a HUGE reduction in his turnovers...better red zone production than he's demonstrated...and for him to be a competent game manager.  I doubt that he will ever be elite or even top 10 in the league (I would like to be wrong about this).

Are you concerned with how much he is being paid or how much he counts against the cap? If I'm not mistaken, Stafford will have a higher cap number next year and the following year with the way that the deals have been structured. This is assuming that the Vikings are going to move as much of the Cousins deal into this year's cap number.

I'm with you that this is a steep price, but I think that when Ryan and Rodgers are ready to sign new deals, this will look better than it does now.

Just re-watched the Vikings-Redskins game in all-22.

And holy crap, the 'Skins pass protection was terrible. We consistently generated pass rush with 4. He made a few bad decisions under pressure and doesn't seem to like to leave the pocket. However, this could've also been scheme driven.

And wow, Terrelle Pryor is freaking horrible. There was one play where he was wide open in the endzone and tripped over himselfxD

3 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Are you concerned with how much he is being paid or how much he counts against the cap? If I'm not mistaken, Stafford will have a higher cap number next year and the following year with the way that the deals have been structured. This is assuming that the Vikings are going to move as much of the Cousins deal into this year's cap number.

I'm with you that this is a steep price, but I think that when Ryan and Rodgers are ready to sign new deals, this will look better than it does now.

Cousins is greatly over paid.  I really don't think he's an improvement over Bridgewater who would've been less expensive.  I just don't understand the hype around Cousins!

Listening to Ross Tucker this morning, he and his guest brought up an interesting point. 

It’ll be interesting to see the structure of Cousins’ contract, and how guaranteed that $84M is guaranteed. Will all $84M be guaranteed at signing? Or could we see a deal that gives Cousins ~$60M (random amount) at signing with the $84M guaranteed for injury. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Listening to Ross Tucker this morning, he and his guest brought up an interesting point. 

It’ll be interesting to see the structure of Cousins’ contract, and how guaranteed that $84M is guaranteed. Will all $84M be guaranteed at signing? Or could we see a deal that gives Cousins ~$60M (random amount) at signing with the $84M guaranteed for injury. 

Woah. Mind blown. That's a good point that I hadn't even thought of.

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

Cousins is greatly over paid.  I really don't think he's an improvement over Bridgewater who would've been less expensive.  I just don't understand the hype around Cousins!

I’m a big Ted-head, but Cousins has shown to be much better than Bridgewater. 

We can speculate all we want as to what Bridgewater could have, or will, develop into. But Bridgewater has never shown the ability that Cousins has. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

So it just bothers you that he's making as much as he does? I don't understand that angle. I'm happy whenever a player can land a big contract, unless it is to the detriment of the Vikings and their ability to hang on to other key pieces. 

26 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

So it just bothers you that he's making as much as he does? I don't understand that angle. I'm happy whenever a player can land a big contract, unless it is to the detriment of the Vikings and their ability to hang on to other key pieces. 

If the contract doesn't reflect true value, then yes, it bothers me a lot.  I hope that it can be a competent manager for three seasons. 

My initial thoughts on the Cousins' signing as I'm late to the party. I'm sure there's be plenty talked about in terms of downside/upside. The amount of money he's making, how much is guaranteed, etc.

The big thing with this contract, besides Cousins' performance, is the money and how it's done. I don't actually  made it. It is under $30 million per year, and having him as a fully guaranteed contract for three years isn't bad. If he isn't  much better than Keenum was this year, draft a project QB next year, have them sit and learn for a year or two, and you have someone who can take over for Cousins, it's not like we're stuck with him for a long time. Also with the money, it doesn't seem to kill our cap ability.

In terms of actual talent on the field. I do think we have a more competent offensive strategy than the Redskins do. I think we have more talent offensively than the Redskins do, and for that reason, I think that Cousins will do better than he's done, numbers wise, with the Redskins. I am not sure he's the QB who is going to go out there and win you games late, I think the closest out of all the QB options for that was Bridgewater, but with our offense and defense, assuming both play similarly to how they did this year, that probably shouldn't be a huge problem, though, probably wouldn't get us to the promised land.

Overall, I think the team has been built well and smartly, and if that continues, then I'm not worried that Cousins is going to cause us to drop off the map because of how much we paid him. Though, I'm still not opposed to taking Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen if they fall to us in round one.

I also really want to know how much Keenum is getting paid, because if it's in the range of $20 million for the year, I'm going to feel much much better about signing Cousins.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Appearing on PFT Live, Paul Allen of KFAN said that some Vikings are privately “elated” by the news that Cousins is joining the cause.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/paul-allen-some-vikings-elated-by-the-news-of-kirk-cousins-coming-to-town/

I would assume most of them are offensive players...because at least he'll probably throw a little bit more catchable ball than Keenum.  

The next thing to consider is who the Vikings make their number 2 QB?  I think Sloter has talent...but, it's still pretty raw.  At this point, a quarterback in the first round doesn't make much sense to me either.  As I look at FA vets available, I might be willing to take a flyer on Derrick Anderson or Matt Moore.