Lions sign LB Devon Kennard

Superduperman

10 minutes ago, Typical_Lions said:

Are the Lions changing defensive schemes in the short or long term? Like the two signings regardless. Now to get a guy or two on the line.

I expect the Lions to run a hybrid defense, but we don't know for sure yet.

1 hour ago, X_Factor_40 said:

I expect the Lions to run a hybrid defense, but we don't know for sure yet.

Same. 

Patricia seems to enjoy a type of hybrid scheme that fits both the game/situation and the personnel available. It makes sense to have guys that can fit the team in many different ways. 

Seems like to much money to me. The Giants were pretty hard up for LB's last year and they let this guy walk. That doesn't necessarily mean much, but its not exactly a good thing either. 

I like his size and versatility, but It just seems like a bit of an overpay. I would be more comfortable at like 2-3 mil per. 

I am OK with this signing.  Lets be honest, we only have Jarrad Davis and Jalen Reeves-Maybin as a part of our long-term plans at LB.  Whitehead was solid against the run but not so great in coverage.  Worrilu was barely serviceable.  I could see us drafting another LB prospect in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round this year also.

9 hours ago, Typical_Lions said:

Are the Lions changing defensive schemes in the short or long term? Like the two signings regardless. Now to get a guy or two on the line.

The scheme is changing but not in the stereotypical fashion. I would expect the coverage scheme to stay pretty much the same with basically all of the amae player backs in the secondary. The defensive front will change, but not so much so that they will need to overhaul the roster. It will function fairly similarly most of the time, it will just look different. We're going to see a lot of 3-3-5 this year, which is a great front because it can easily change into something else without needing to substitute. 

7 hours ago, davisblack said:

Seems like to much money to me. The Giants were pretty hard up for LB's last year and they let this guy walk. That doesn't necessarily mean much, but its not exactly a good thing either. 

I like his size and versatility, but It just seems like a bit of an overpay. I would be more comfortable at like 2-3 mil per. 

They didn't really "let him walk". They wanted him back. Their fans wanted him back. He left because he found more money and a better opportunity elsewhere. The Giants didn't use him at the LOS as much as they should have and he was still a very effective player for them. I trust that Matt Patricia has a plan for him because it's pretty obvious how he would fit into the defense if Patricia wants to run the front of the defense like he did in New England. 

5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am OK with this signing.  Lets be honest, we only have Jarrad Davis and Jalen Reeves-Maybin as a part of our long-term plans at LB.  Whitehead was solid against the run but not so great in coverage.  Worrilu was barely serviceable.  I could see us drafting another LB prospect in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round this year also.

I could see multiple LB's drafted again this year. One guy that can play on the EDGE (think Lorenzo Carter, Obgonnia Okoronkwo, Shaquem Griffin, etc) and then another for depth behind Davis that can also push Jalen Reeves-Maybin (think Josey Jewell, Oren Burks, etc)

Archived