Lions sign LB Devon Kennard

Superduperman

17 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

I could see multiple LB's drafted again this year. One guy that can play on the EDGE (think Lorenzo Carter, Obgonnia Okoronkwo, Shaquem Griffin, etc) and then another for depth behind Davis that can also push Jalen Reeves-Maybin (think Josey Jewell, Oren Burks, etc)

One minor thing about Josey Jewell is I remember a PFF college guy talking about how being named the B1G dpoy was not a good choice because he missed a ton of tackles. There were many other linebackers that performed better than him according to their metrics not to mention other defensive positions.

8 minutes ago, Typical_Lions said:

One minor thing about Josey Jewell is I remember a PFF college guy talking about how being named the B1G dpoy was not a good choice because he missed a ton of tackles. There were many other linebackers that performed better than him according to their metrics not to mention other defensive positions.

I don't remember seeing him miss tackles. His tape is among the best in this class.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:00 PM, IDOG_det said:

I don't remember seeing him miss tackles. His tape is among the best in this class.

This is from an article about Jewell on PFF October 2017:

If there’s a complaint with Jewell early in the season, it’s his tackling as he’s already missed 10 tackles after missing only 11 last season. That includes a five-missed-tackle game against Iowa State back in Week 2. This is something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

My guess, based on the pff guy that was talking about him, is that the problem persisted. I have nothing personal against Jewell but a linebacker missing tackles seems like a red flag.

4 hours ago, Typical_Lions said:

This is from an article about Jewell on PFF October 2017:

My guess, based on the pff guy that was talking about him, is that the problem persisted. I have nothing personal against Jewell but a linebacker missing tackles seems like a red flag.

Trying to have a "missed tackles" stat is misleading. A guy who gets to the ball more often is going have more misses. A guy without the range to get to the ball is going to have fewer missed tackles because he's going to attempt fewer tackles. I'd rather trust the tape than pseudo tackle stat based on volume.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:41 PM, IDOG_det said:

Trying to have a "missed tackles" stat is misleading. A guy who gets to the ball more often is going have more misses. A guy without the range to get to the ball is going to have fewer missed tackles because he's going to attempt fewer tackles. I'd rather trust the tape than pseudo tackle stat based on volume.

I've always felt like missed tackles is a bit of a subjective stat. I'm a big proponent of always defaulting back to the tape and letting that be your guide at the end of the day.

Archived