Redskins to Sign WR Paul Richardson

e16bball

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

With that TE duo, the Redskins don't really need "a #1 WR". They are likely to be spreading the ball around, right?.

They just needed more deep speed outside and an upgrade to the overall WR corps that would be on the field. Yes? 

What TE duo? You mean the one comprise of a guy who is never on the field and the 34 year old who is clearly declining?

They need people who can stay on the field and catch. Doctson can't catch a cold, Reed is a hard hit to the head from never playing again, and Richardson has a similar catch percentage to Doctson.

When it's 3rd and 7, who is Smith going to? Because after about Week 3, teams are going to realize that if they take away Crowder, he'll dump it off to an RB for a gain of 4.

So of course, WalterFootball hates the signing...

I don't like this signing. It just seems like a poor fit. The best I can explain it is having a Sega Saturn and then buying an HDMI cable for it even though there's no HDMI attachment for it. Alex Smith, in this metaphor, is the Sega Saturn. He has some novelty, but he's not particularly good. He's an average quarterback who doesn't look to attack defenses deep on most occasions. Richardson, meanwhile, is this new technology that doesn't do much unless he's paired with something great, and even then, he can just be replaced with another HDMI cable. 

I don't think Smith will be able to take advantage of Richardson's big-play ability very often, and there's no guarantee that Richardson will even flash his talents frequently in Washington, as he was very inconsistent in Seattle. Prior to 2017, he had never eclipsed 300 receiving yards in a season. He caught 44 balls for 703 yards and six touchdowns this past season, but that was with Russell Wilson, who happens to be a much better quarterback than Smith. I don't want to say that this signing will definitely fail, but I'm not very optimistic. This appears to be another Terrelle Pryor-type move where the Redskins signed a receiver with just one year of positive output. The only difference is that Pryor was given just a 1-year deal with little risk. This is a long-term contract with plenty of downside! 

C- Grade

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz59ec7CsUo

I like Walter but sometimes his analysis can be way out of left field. 

• Like 1

Just now, Slateman said:

What TE duo? You mean the one comprise of a guy who is never on the field and the 34 year old who is clearly declining?

They need people who can stay on the field and catch. Doctson can't catch a cold, Reed is a hard hit to the head from never playing again, and Richardson has a similar catch percentage to Doctson.

When it's 3rd and 7, who is Smith going to? Because after about Week 3, teams are going to realize that if they take away Crowder, he'll dump it off to an RB for a gain of 4.

Isn't that what Cousins did?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mike23md said:

That's funny. 

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012recap.php

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/redskinsb_logo.gif

redskinsb_logo.gif Redskins sign WR Pierre Garcon (5 years, $42.5M; $21M guaranteed): C- Grade 
Pierre Garcon is a No. 1 receiver. What, you don't believe me? Then why, I ask, did he get $42.5 million with $21 million guaranteed? Oh yeah, I forgot who signed him for a second. 

What the hell are the Redskins doing? Garcon is not a No. 1 wideout. He won't be able to beat double coverage, he drops way too many passes, and he runs poor routes. I'm not giving this an F because I love the Robert Griffin-Garcon fit. Griffin has impeccable deep accuracy, and Garcon will be the recipient of some long bombs. However, Washington really overpaid for a secondary receiver. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I'm neither here nor there on this signing, but everything he says seems reasonable (outside of that pretty crappy sega simile)

14 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Yeah, he’s way off the mark here. Given that:

• Smith was the best deep passer in the league last season;
  • With Smith, Tyreek Hill was able to be the most productive deep target in the league; and

• When Jay Gruden had DeSean Jackson, we were one of the most productive deep passing offenses in the league

There’s literally no reason to believe he won’t get opportunities to make plays down the field.

Will he make them? I don’t know. The actual question mark with this signing is how good he is. But to ding the signing because of an outdated perception of Alex Smith is silly, superficial analysis to say the least. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Walter also said Trent Williams was the worst pick of the 2010 draft and would be out of the league in three years. He also wrote articles about how amazing Jimmy Clausen is going to be. His website is good for names to look up but his scouting abilities are a disaster. The guy is a clown.

5 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Does Paul Richardson ever return punts? I'd be thrilled to boot Crowder out of that role.

I don't know man? I kinda like the element of surprise we get with Crowder back there...will he or won't he fumble 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Slateman said:

If he stays healthy and produces at last year's levels, sure.

The problem is that someone like Richardson is complimentary piece to a primary piece we don't have. There is no number 1 receiver on this team. There still isn't a running game.

I don't disagree on this. But you have to build where you can. You can't sit on your hands until you get X or Y.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

This is a typical Bruce Allen signing.  We are paying another team's role player starter money and projecting him to "take the next step" with us.  These kind of signings have typically not worked out for us in the Bruce Allen era.  

Maybe but yo have any chance I. The passing game we had to get a guy to occupy the safety deep as Smith is an underneath throwing guy. I like this 

• Like 1