Redskins to Sign WR Paul Richardson

e16bball

38 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Right. Crowder not forgotten. ( I don't know that he would get the same respect on this matter as does Doctson and now Richardson )

Crowder had a significantly down year last year. I wouldn't sell short on him.

35 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Remember guys we do have Robert Davis, who basically redshirted last year but was a Sparq All Star at the combine.  

While true, he was really raw last year. Hopefully he can take a step forward. I am not expecting massive improvement, but more along the lines of more snaps. How much playing time he gets in training camp versus Brian Quick will be an interesting marker.

There's also Mo Harris.

Only a little over a minute on both, but if they had not been watched, here they are:

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/best-answers-paul-richardsons-first-presser-dc

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/best-answers-paul-richardsons-first-presser-dc

Very soft spoken and seemingly genuine young guy. He sounds eager to prove himself to everyone. :) 

On 3/15/2018 at 2:21 PM, Woz said:

While true, he was really raw last year. Hopefully he can take a step forward. I am not expecting massive improvement, but more along the lines of more snaps. How much playing time he gets in training camp versus Brian Quick will be an interesting marker.

There's also Mo Harris.

Yeah, Robert Davis definitely has potential, he just needs time to develop like Garçon did for a few years when he came into the league. I’ve always liked Mo Harris as well, he flashes potential but needs to get more consistent. Hopefully he does this year, both guys are more athletic and faster than Grant but they need to become a consistent at running routes as Grant did.

I definitely think Brian Quick can replace Grant as well.  Much like the other two though, Quick has to become more consistent. I remember him making a really tough 3rd down catch week 1 vs Philly. This was a tight window tough catch where he knew he’d get hit that Crowder, Doctson and Pryor were dropping or alligator arming last year. Then, Quick made a few plays vs Seattle too. He has something to offer, it’s just not a guy you want starting.

What we need the most is for Reed and Thompson to at least be healthy enough to play 3/4 of the season and for Crowder and Doctson to catch the catchable balls thrown to them and make difficult catches for their qb - unlike last year.

Crowder and Doctson each easily could have had 10 more receptions for 100 to 150 more yards and a handful more tds between them last year. They need to do that this year if our offense is going to improve.

Edited by turtle28

I don't dislike the WR corps as they now are.. but there is a lot of minimally proven on board.. so it could potentially get ugly quick at WR if an (knock knock) injury occurs. 

I don't know if they're totally done adding to the WR bunch at this point. It will be interesting to see what kind of faith they have in the lower half of the depth chart at WR. 

Edited by oldman9er

43 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I don't dislike the WR corps as they now are.. but there is a lot of minimally proven on board.. so it could potentially get ugly quick at WR if an (knock knock) injury occurs. 

I don't know if they're totally done adding to the WR bunch at this point. It will be interesting to see what kind of faith they have in the lower half of the depth chart at WR. 

That’s why I advocate signing a vet who’s a bit more proven to a cheap deal. Those guys are out there for sure, Markus Wheaton, Kendall Wright, Kamar Aiken etc. Someone in that mold who’s flashed some on the past but had a down year last year because of injury, poor qb play or not enough targets. Wheaton was drafted by Pitt and was a starter after Mike Wallace left to go to Miami on a big money deal. He’s a stretch tge field deep threat wr who has good speed (4.45 forty) but not elite speed. In Pitt he was a 53 catch player in his second year in 2014 and a 44 catch player for Pitt in his third year in 2015 with 5 TDs in 2015 and a 17 yd avg.  Then, he broke his shoulder blade - I think in week 1 in 2016 - and basically missed the entire season. Last year he went to the Bears and I expected him to break out but he pulled a groin bad and missed most of the season. So, between that injury and the Bears inconsistent qb play he didn’t get to show what he could do. If healthy, he’s a starter in the league, at worst a #3. 

16 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

^ yep. I wonder if Maclin still has the wheels to be a deep threat, or if he's now lacking that dimension.

His WCO understanding, reliable routes, and having worked well with Alex in the past would be welcomed.  

I’d welcome a Maclin signing but the problem there is that I think he’s going to go to where he can either win a super bowl, start or both. I don’t think that’s DC right now because we have Crowder, Doctson and now Richardson. I wouldn’t be surprised if Maclin goes back to Philly, to Green Bay, or NE. He’d have a chance to start for any of those teams or at least get a lot of playing time as their #3. He also could go to Minny to be their #3 wr behind Diggs and Theilen. I think he’s in win now mode and would take a little less money to go on a deep playoff run and maybe win a super bowl.

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d welcome a Maclin signing but the problem there is that I think he’s going to go to where he can either win a super bowl, start or both. I don’t think that’s DC right now because we have Crowder, Doctson and now Richardson. I wouldn’t be surprised if Maclin goes back to Philly, to Green Bay, or NE. He’d have a chance to start for any of those teams or at least get a lot of playing time as their #3. He also could go to Minny to be their #3 wr behind Diggs and Theilen. I think he’s in win now mode and would take a little less money to go on a deep playoff run and maybe win a super bowl.

I guess this makes sense. I don't know that he'd be a "sure" starter for many teams. Even the Ravens.. desperate for starting WR.. cut him loose. Might go looking around team rosters before running my mouth (too late, ha), but he may have to be more realistic and shoot for a team's WR3 spot.. which even in DC and like you allude to.. could be tough competition. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

We still need a crafty veteran who can move the chains on 3rd and long.... I would really like Eric Decker on a reasonable contract. 

Who do you take off the field to play Decker on just 3rd downs all game long? They’re not going to sign a slow crafty veteran possession wr. If we were going to sign Decker, we wouldn’t have signed Paul Richardson. Doctson is going to be our possession wr. He, Crowder, Reed and Thompson are the guys that Smith will mostly look to to move the chains. Doctson and Crowder need to play up to their potential and catch catchable passes, and Reed needs to stay healthy.

6 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

I think wideout ok for now , I'd like to give Harris and Davis a shot.

I still think it wouldn’t hurt to add a vet who’s trying to prove he deserves another big contract but had a down year last year and isn’t getting the offers he wants this offseason. That’s why I keep coming back to a guy like Markus Wheaton or Kendall Wright. They chose to go to the Bears, Wheaton got hurt, Glennon was below average and then Wright was stuck with a rookie qb who wasn’t ready to be an effective downfield passer, but both of these guys can play and Wheaton is a return man too, which we need so Crowder doesn’t have to do it too.