Post Keenum Reality - IMO / Round 1 Propects

BaldyBronco

27 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Ben Allbright, who I know some don't like, is making some interesting comments on Twitter. It's entirely possible Denver could land Barkley at 5. Hell, they could have their pick of a bunch of guys.

Cleveland takes Darnold, Giants take Rosen, Bills trade to 3 for Allen, Dolphins trade to 4 for Mayfield. That's very possible given the interest these teams have. If the Giants take anything other than QB at 2, but the rest holds, there would be one QB sitting there at 5, and who knows, there's teams out there who need QBs that may be anxious to jump the Jets. If not, Denver would have their choice of Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, etc...

This could very well work out better than expected.

There will be a lot of great talent on both sides of the LOS at #5. Edmunds would be another. He'd go a long way towards solving our RB/TE coverage issues.

I love our cbs we have a nice mix of talent, youth, veterans, etc. I still have hope for Langly he looked lost not stiff. He's still transitioning.

Maybe I just loke the nickname I came up with if he ever becomes shutdown. Brandon "the langolier" Langly because he erases wrs.

On 3/14/2018 at 2:34 PM, thebestever6 said:

I love our cbs we have a nice mix of talent, youth, veterans, etc. I still have hope for Langly he looked lost not stiff. He's still transitioning.

Maybe I just loke the nickname I came up with if he ever becomes shutdown. Brandon "the langolier" Langly because he erases wrs.

He definitely is a nice developmental prospect, but he was completely overdrafted and frankly there's nothing so far to suggest he's a long term option for us. Brock is signed for a year. Roby is a wild card- no telling how he'll perform in a starter role. The position is not without risk and questions, IMO.

27 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

He definitely is a nice developmental prospect, but he was completely overdrafted and frankly there's nothing so far to suggest he's a long term option for us. Brock is signed for a year. Roby is a wild card- no telling how he'll perform in a starter role. The position is not without risk and questions, IMO.

I'd go even further than that. I'd say CB has the potential to be a liability. Brock is JAG, like you say we don't know how Roby will do in a full-time role (I'm optimistic but not going to pencil in a replication of Talib's production), Langley is Langley, there's nothing at all to suggest he will ever develop into anything. With Ward and now Talib gone, the emotional leaders of that group, there could be an energy/leadership void. Stewart had a down year last year and Simmons is still a work in progress. 

Chris Harris would ideally be the guy to fill that void, but there are some signs to suggest he’s not happy. Wants a new contract (should get it), wants to stop playing in the slot, probably pissed about Talib. I think Harris is at a point in his career where he recognizes his value, where the team is at, and what he needs to do to be recognized as an all-time great. I can’t really blame him for this and he better be taken care of.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Chris Harris would ideally be the guy to fill that void, but there are some signs to suggest he’s not happy. Wants a new contract (should get it), wants to stop playing in the slot, probably pissed about Talib. I think Harris is at a point in his career where he recognizes his value, where the team is at, and what he needs to do to be recognized as an all-time great. I can’t really blame him for this and he better be taken care of.

I agree to an extent, and they should take care of him, but after a piss poor season is likely not the time you should expect to capitalize on your value. If Denver performs better this season, Harris should get paid.

Chris Harris is an all-time great Bronco and even the fan base doesn't respect him. I can't believe it seems to be consensus among the casuals that Talib is better than Harris. Just unfathomable. But nothing this fanbase thinks surprises me. I saw on MHR like 80% of a poll said the Broncos shouldn't draft a QB at 5. Already sold on Keenum lol. 

Hate the Langley pick. Webster showed 5x more his rookie year as a raw guy and never turned into starter material. CB is 100% going to be worse this year without the luxury of having 3 starting caliber corners, but frankly that is a luxury that a bad team can't afford. It's what made this team Super Bowl champs and those days are obviously gone. 

Corner seems to be a spot where you can find veteran value, though. Wouldn't be surprised if Brock proves to be a good player, not that I know anything about him. Wouldn't be surprised if Rios or another undrafted dude steps into a strong role either. 

18 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Chris Harris is an all-time great Bronco and even the fan base doesn't respect him. I can't believe it seems to be consensus among the casuals that Talib is better than Harris. Just unfathomable. But nothing this fanbase thinks surprises me. I saw on MHR like 80% of a poll said the Broncos shouldn't draft a QB at 5. Already sold on Keenum lol. 

I think Chris Harris is actually very highly regarded by the fan base. I have two jerseys of current players, he and Von. I see almost as many Harris jerseys around here as I see Von jerseys. 

And, yeah, the casual fan base, the MHR crowd, are in love with Keenum and totally sold on him. When you have a good press conference and every columnist, reporter and guy on the radio is cheer-leading the Case signing it's like Peyton Manning v2.0, that's what you're going to get. 

Case in point, from Klis mail-bag

I have never been less excited about acquiring a player than I was when the Broncos signed Case Keenum. However, after the past 48 hours I couldn't be more excited. The mix of hearing about Cousins' silly fully-guaranteed contract, reading Keenum's quotes from the press conference, and seeing his picture as a kid with that Elway jersey on, I couldn't be more excited to rally behind him!!! I can't wait for #7 and #4 to say, "This One's for Gary" while jointly hoisting up the Lombardi trophy next year!

Case wore an Elway jersey when he was 9 years old and had some good lines in his press conference (and obviously his agent and Patrick Smyth didn't coach him on what to say, that never happens) and now we're Super Bowl contenders. SMH. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Hate the Langley pick. Webster showed 5x more his rookie year as a raw guy and never turned into starter material. CB is 100% going to be worse this year without the luxury of having 3 starting caliber corners, but frankly that is a luxury that a bad team can't afford. It's what made this team Super Bowl champs and those days are obviously gone. 

Corner seems to be a spot where you can find veteran value, though. Wouldn't be surprised if Brock proves to be a good player, not that I know anything about him. Wouldn't be surprised if Rios or another undrafted dude steps into a strong role either. 

So, a few things. I don't think anyone is really sold on Keenum, I know I'm not. I just don't want to see us put all of our eggs in a QB basket. That seems nuts to me to have your highest paid FA starting with two #1 draft picks on the bench.

you're on the money with our CB position. Definitely a downgrade this year and overall on D, we're no where near the team that won the SB. I'm not sure that's set in with everyone. I keep seeing our D referred to as elite and we haven't been elite for a while. Losing Talib won't help that.

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

So, a few things. I don't think anyone is really sold on Keenum, I know I'm not. I just don't want to see us put all of our eggs in a QB basket. That seems nuts to me to have your highest paid FA starting with two #1 draft picks on the bench.

you're on the money with our CB position. Definitely a downgrade this year and overall on D, we're no where near the team that won the SB. I'm not sure that's set in with everyone. I keep seeing our D referred to as elite and we haven't been elite for a while. Losing Talib won't help that.

I think your point about QB is completely fair. I think Keenum can be a good player for us if the right moves are made around him (as of this moment, we are nowhere close, IMO). I was just surprised by the percentage being so high, especially with where the fanbase seemed to be at before the signing in regards to Keenum.

3 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think your point about QB is completely fair. I think Keenum can be a good player for us if the right moves are made around him (as of this moment, we are nowhere close, IMO). I was just surprised by the percentage being so high, especially with where the fanbase seemed to be at before the signing in regards to Keenum.

There is a history of that with this fan base, especially that element of the fan base. No one wanted Vance, most wanted Kyle and some people wanted someone else, once Vance was hired people liked it. Same with Bolles in the draft. Same with Keenum this year. Hell, even when we went for Peyton there was a portion who thought it was a mistake and we should stick with Tebow. 

Yeah the defense is so far removed from what we saw in 2015. We had five game changing talents on that defense. Von, Talib, Harris, D-Ware and Malik. We only have Von and Harris left. Double Von, ignore Harris. This defense is not that tough to game plan for anymore. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah the defense is so far removed from what we saw in 2015. We had five game changing talents on that defense. Von, Talib, Harris, D-Ware and Malik. We only have Von and Harris left. Double Von, ignore Harris. This defense is not that tough to game plan for anymore. 

Not to mention Wolfe and Marshall were definitely above average starters that year

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Oh yeah, it's a wrap. That defense was perfect. I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again in Denver.

That unit is underrated nation wide, btw. They deserve to be revered like the Seahawks team is

Archived