Post Keenum Reality - IMO / Round 1 Propects

BaldyBronco

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FIFY.

OC Shula had no business leaving Remmers on an island to start the game - let alone leave him there the entire game.    That was arrogance in the highest form - thinking that CAR had won all year with Cam freelancing and Remmers on his own.   That was such an obvious mismatch - and yet Shula didn't even adjust in-game.   Honestly, Shula's incredibly overrated IMO as an OC.   Remmers in MIN has been OK - because MIN knows his limitations, and doesn't let him on an island vs. a premiere EDGE/DE without help.

I argued strenuously against drafting CMac (part of my take that you don't spend Rd1 picks on anyone but generational level talents - like Barkley/Elliott/Gurley, not Fournette, not CMac).   But if you draft him, you should deploy him as a pass-catching AND red-zone running weapon...and yet Shula barely used him, and let Jonathan-2.8YPC-Stewart take the lion's share of the carries, and almost all the RZ work.  Then in December, realized hey maybe the elite short-zone agility and suddeness can actually work inside and in short-yardage.  SMH.

I didn't have a problem with the Gettleman signing in a vacuum for NY and I thought Shurmur hire was genius - Shula being hired as OC was not.  Fortunately, it's really only a hire in name only, Shurmur is the OC there, which is a good thing.  Shula is fine as a QB coach.  As an OC?  Out of his league - which Wade demonstrated in the SB, and teams have been exposing since then with CAR, as their O has never returned to their lofty 2015 heights once the blueprint to beat that O was demonstrated.   Shula was never able to adjust back.

So do you think Wade is overrated? I mean it wasn't rocket science what he did lol.

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

So do you think Wade is overrated? I mean it wasn't rocket science what he did lol.

Overrated?  Hardly.  Wade came up with a brilliant plan - and there was no need to adjust it because CAR didn't adjust to it.   Can't really fault Wade - keep doing what works until the other team adjusts.  CAR never did.  That's on Shula.

NE, on the other hand, that was mastermind brilliance.   He had bracket coverage on Gronk, then Stewart, then Ward/Trevathan....only when the safeties came out of the game mid-4Q did Gronk start to eat.   And Harris ate Edelman up that day.    Anytime you get 20+ hits on Brady, that's great scheming along with great DL play.   Tip my cap.  Wade was as much our coaching MVP that year as the D was - he used too much off-coverage vs. PIT in the division game (after Antonio Brown just abused Harris Week 15, that happens), almost cost us that game, but he was nails after that.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Overrated?  Hardly.  Wade came up with a brilliant plan - and there was no need to adjust it because CAR didn't adjust to it.   Can't really fault Wade - keep doing what works until the other team adjusts.  CAR never did.  That's on Shula.

NE, on the other hand, that was mastermind brilliance.   He had bracket coverage on Gronk, then Stewart, then Ward/Trevathan....only when the safeties came out of the game mid-4Q did Gronk start to eat.   And Harris ate Edelman up that day.    Anytime you get 20+ hits on Brady, that's great scheming along with great DL play.   Tip my cap.  Wade was as much our coaching MVP that year as the D was - he used too much off-coverage vs. PIT in the division game (after Antonio Brown just abused Harris Week 15, that happens), almost cost us that game, but he was nails after that.

Once again, trench dominance won the day. As @germ-x pointed out, nows the time to reestablish that dominance.

I think trench play wins but also gms working trades and udfas. Look at philly the ability to trade a bunch of garbage to miami to move up. Than they get the #2 pic for a discount, then the Bradford trade. Now they teaded T Smith for Worley? Are you getting me? They also traded draft spots for Timmy Jernnigan to solidify that d line for years to come.

That's before we look at Cory Clement he was runner up super bowl mvp.  Phenomenal.  Then they sign guys like Micheal Jenkins on the cheap, and Steven Wisnewski for 5 mill  a year. He was kinda our evan Mathis signing.

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think trench play wins but also gms working trades and udfas. Look at philly the ability to trade a bunch of garbage to miami to move up. Than they get the #2 pic for a discount, then the Bradford trade. Now they teaded T Smith for Worley? Are you getting me? They also traded draft spots for Timmy Jernnigan to solidify that d line for years to come.

That's before we look at Cory Clement he was runner up super bowl mvp.  Phenomenal.  Then they sign guys like Micheal Jenkins on the cheap, and Steven Wisnewski for 5 mill  a year. He was kinda our evan Mathis signing.

But you know what underlies all of that? A favorable cap situation put in place by savvy signings and solid drafts. Those two things are the foundation of successful teams. The minute you tie yourself up with a bunch of bad contracts or a bunch of bad drafts, it becomes way more difficult to make those trades and do the things Philly has done.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

But you know what underlies all of that? A favorable cap situation put in place by savvy signings and solid drafts. Those two things are the foundation of successful teams. The minute you tie yourself up with a bunch of bad contracts or a bunch of bad drafts, it becomes way more difficult to make those trades and do the things Philly has done.

And 3 things that got the Eagles out of cap hell and mediocrity:

1.  MIA bailed them out of 2 bad contracts with a lot of dead money - Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell.  And gave them picks to boot.  SMH Tannebaum. 

2.  PHI got incredibly lucky with the Bradford trade - injury a week before the season began with a contender and no alternatives.   

3.  Of course the Wentz pick.  

Remember before 2016 the Eagles had to always manage cap hell with a mediocre team not awful but not nearly good enough to contend.   Their situation led to the Mathis release that was so key for us in 2015.  

If the tale sounds familiar - it should.  PHI 2015 and us in 2018 are very similar.   A QB short and a lot of holes (just in different places) and worsening cap health.    There is no Bradford trade or Mia trade x 2 to fix our situation though.   So we need to draft not a little better but a LOT better.  Given where our 2017 draft class is at realistically we need to hit on 2 drafts (NO happens 1x every decade and we have no reason to think we can do half as well judging by our Day 2 failures).   And get our QB preferably cheap. Add it up 2019 is best case to contend -  and that’s if we’ve addressed QB and drafted well. 

Archived