The Slow Burn Mock (Updated)

Chieferific

I thought I'd do a Mock that worked backwards and released the names at random times. Why? Because I'm awake and it's gross outside but mostly...Cause I can :ph34r:. I feel like I know less about this years' "crop" then in most years. While I haven't researched as many prospects as I usually do, I mostly blame @Armsteeld2& @JustPlainNasty for not posting as much analysis as they usually do that I can plagiarize. So feel free to criticize. Also, I'm using the Player rankings of a site that I find to be the most up to date and accurate. Who really knows for sure where someone is going to be anyways. The anticipation is palpable. So without further ADO....

7b) Christian Sam ILB Arizona St: I'm not real clear as to why he's a projected 7th Rdr. He has good size and decent agility and can drop the hammer. He led the PAC-12 in Tackles and was 7th overall Nationally in 2017. While a projected late rdr for a reason but I feel his "flaws" are coachable. I love his passion. He reminds me of a more athletic VW. 

636409308377770053-christian-sam.jpg

7a) Kahlil McKenzie DT Tennessee: I gotta have my "fat guy in the middle". The Steelers have moved away from this type of player and now favor the penetrating NT (a la Hargrave) but there is still a need for a McKenzie type DT situationally. McCullers is too tall and too soft to win the leverage battle. McKenzie will make his money on Short Yardage and at the Goaline where he can take on double teams, clog up the middle and run down the LOS. This has been an Achilles heal with the Defense. A 7th Rd investment hopefully makes a difference. 

Screen-Shot-2016-09-17-at-11.45.28-AM-743x483.png

5b) Cedrick Wilson WR Boise St: Didn't have as good a Senior Bowl GAME as I thought he would but was said to be the best WR at practice and was an ultra productive player at Boise with a knack for the deep ball. I don't know where we stand with Bryant but I don't like the chances of signing him after this year and the cupboard is bare after AB and JuJu. Wilson certainly looks like a potential replacement. Also adds KR/PR ability. 

image.jpg

5a) Jeff Holland OLB Auburn: Not your ideally sized 3-4 OLB but shows the ability to get to the QB with a non-stop motor and athleticism. I do not think the FO has given up on Dupree and Holland is not being drafted to take his place. However, he does offer nice depth and the ability to take over the OLB if Dupree is asked to put his hand in the dirt in a Hybrid formation.

See the source image

3) Jessie Bates III FS Wake Forest:  I really don't think he makes it this far and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a 2nd Rd pick. The best All Around FS in this year's draft IMO. Not a huge hitter but a solid tackler that gets the job done. Besides, I don't want a big hitting FS in today's NFL. Give me one that can get there early enough and make plays on the ball. That's what he brings. Speed/Awareness/Range/Solid Tackler. What else do you want? A steal in the 3rd IMO.

Image result for jessie bates

2) Sony Michel RB Georgia: Prolly not going to be a popular pick for many fans but Bell is not going to be a Steeler much longer (IMO). I think there are some other potential RBs that will available in Rd3 (Kelly/Freeman/Penny) but I had already made up my mind on my 3rd Rdr. Sony brings a lot to the table. Great vision and burst through the hole. Soft hands and knows where to be when coming out of the backfield on Passing downs. There are some Kamara comparisons out there which I don't fully subscribe to but I can see the similarities. He is a different type of back than Bell but one I think could be very successful for the B&G. Cya Bell. 

Image result for sony michel

1) Rashaad Evans LB Alabama: I think he is the consensus #1 pick and for good reason. The need to replace/fill in for Shazier is blatantly obvious. While Evans does not have the speed Shaz has he is quick enough to go sideline to sideline and may be the better tackler and I believe him to be better at shedding blocks. Also, I think he makes VW a little more tolerable at ILB much like Farrior did for Foote. Assuming he lasts to #28, the Steelers get the perfect ILB for their scheme.

Image result for rashaan evans

*Other points of note.....

-I'm not sure Bates lasts to the 3rd so I debated on taking him in the 2nd and then picking up Penny/Kelly/Freeman in the 3rd. Not having a 4th really hurts. In an actual draft that would prolly be my strategy to ensure I get both spots addressed.

-I couldn't find a way to get significantly better at OLB. I pondered taking Ejiofor in the 2nd but with little to no info on how he looks standing up it didn't make sense. I think Holland can be a nice contributor while they figure out what to do with Dupree. 

-I may be over-blowing the need for a RB as Bell's situation is unclear. However, I do not think a deal is struck and the need for a RB this year is a priority. Sony isn't the usual type of RB that I covet. But I think he fits what today's NFL is asking of it's RBs. He just needs to improve upon his Blitz pickup.  

Ill say it again, unless youre planning to trade Bell, drafting a RB that early is beyond stupid, because you send a message to Bell that you are done with him and one of two things happen....a) Bell doesnt play hard so you are forced to start playing that rookie RB more which makes you wonder why youre paying Bell nearly $15m or b) Bell plays alot...again....and you have a 2nd and 3rd round RB from the previous two drafts hardly getting much playing time, when you couldve spent those picks to improve more problematic areas on your team.

Dont get me wrong....I could see it happening, but as I said, the front office is full of ******* morons if they take this approach (and just for the record, Im not calling you a moron for suggesting we draft a RB in the 2nd round....but our front office is full of highly paid people who should be thinking about every possible scenario and considering our current circumstance (win now mode), and if they draft a RB early PLUS keep Bell....yes, they are morons)

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

While I like some of the players I don’t like this draft which the holes we have to fill. 

I see the biggest holes as ILB, Safety, OLB depth, WR depth and RB (if Bell leaves). I'm fine with the current CB depth. What other holes do you see. OL depth?

6 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Bates scares me.  I don't like Safeties who hesitate when its time to lay the wood.  His physicality doesn't impress me.

Besides Bates and Michel, I like it. 

Bates makes the tackle. That's what's important to me nowadays. It would be nice to have it all but I'll take his range and awareness over the physicality. I'm having a hard time evaluating Sony. He doesn't have great timed speed but is an explosive playmaker. I do wonder if he can be a 3 down back. I like him more than Chubb (mainly cause of injury concerns) and the only other 2nd rdr is Jones (whom I think is gone to the Eagles # 32) and Johnson (who I also think will be gone). As previously admitted, I prolly would have been better off securing Bates in the 2nd (I know you differ) and picking up Penny or Kelly in the 3rd. We must prepare for a Bell-less future. 

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Bates makes the tackle. That's what's important to me nowadays. It would be nice to have it all but I'll take his range and awareness over the physicality. I'm having a hard time evaluating Sony. He doesn't have great timed speed but is an explosive playmaker. I do wonder if he can be a 3 down back. I like him more than Chubb (mainly cause of injury concerns) and the only other 2nd rdr is Jones (whom I think is gone to the Eagles # 32) and Johnson (who I also think will be gone). As previously admitted, I prolly would have been better off securing Bates in the 2nd (I know you differ) and picking up Penny or Kelly in the 3rd. We must prepare for a Bell-less future. 

Here's the thing with Bates:  History has shown that a FS like that isn't something this team really values.

As far as Sony Michel....I don't think he's an everydown back.  He's going to be a 'lead rotational' back.  Think the way that Gio Benard was the lead back, and Jeremy Hill was the power back for the Bengals for a bit of time there.  That's what Sony needs.  He would be great in Tennessee with Henry, or now NYG with Stewart.  Which logically means the Pats are taking him in round 1.

Yes we need to prepare for a possible Bell-less future.  But we also need to be really smart with it.  I think you got the RB's going a little too early.  I think Sony will still be there in the mid-3rd.  Jones in the early 2nd.

Personally I think only 2 QB's go early, and theres a few sitting there between 20-32; and some of those teams trade up to get the QB.  I got Allen and Darnold going early, Jackson, Mayfield, Rosen going later in the 1st.

My personal mock right now with that has Allen going #3 to the Broncos, Darnold #4 to the Browns, Rosen #12 to the Bills, Jackson #15 to Carolina, Mayfield #23 to the Giants,  and finally I got the Jets sneaking in to take Mason Rudolph late.

Archived