Packers sign TE Jimmy Graham

marky mark

46 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

That's funny and all but TEs can usually play later into their careers and are more versatile than WRs. Tony Gonzalez in his 17th and final season had 83 catches, 859 yards and 8 TDs. You take a player like Graham. A 6'7 265 lb TE that ran in the 4.5s out of college. Even when he loses a step he's stil going to be beating LBs in coverage and 6'7 is always going to be 6'7 and good QBs like Brees and Rodgers are always going to be able to take advantage of a matchup nightmare like that. For years we haven't really had a matchup nightmare. We do now. WR like corner is a position that you really see a sharp dropoff when a player reaches a certain age and their athleticism drops off, even a smidge. It happens quickly. It happened to Nelson. He was never really an explosive athlete to begin with. He had great deep speed but he just isn't that athlete he was before. He averaged 9.1 yards per catch last year. That's horrible for a WR. Especially for a WR that spends as much time outside as Nelson does. I don't understand why so many people think Graham wasn't effective in Seattle. He had 10 TDs last year and over 900 yards the year before. You can tell his production clearly dropped off when he went to Seattle but it's not like he was horrible there. That has to do more with Russell Wilson's playing style and the offensive design. Graham was a stud in New Orleans. On par with Gronkowski. We have a chance to have dual pass options with 14+ TDs in Adams and Graham. That opens up your offense so much more for Rodgers to be able to put up 40+ TDs and have a prolific offense again. Our offensive talent just hasn't really been that good the last few years.

If you look at the combine numbers, Jimmy Graham's 10 yard split, 20 yard split, 40 yard split, 20 yard short shuttle, and 3 cones were all comparable or better than Nelson's. But we are talking about a 6'7 265 lb TE instead of a 6'3 215 lb WR. We just acquired one heck of a player.

8 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

That's funny and all but TEs can usually play later into their careers and are more versatile than WRs. Tony Gonzalez in his 17th and final season had 83 catches, 859 yards and 8 TDs. You take a player like Graham. A 6'7 265 lb TE that ran in the 4.5s out of college. Even when he loses a step he's stil going to be beating LBs in coverage and 6'7 is always going to be 6'7 and good QBs like Brees and Rodgers are always going to be able to take advantage of a matchup nightmare like that. For years we haven't really had a matchup nightmare. We do now. WR like corner is a position that you really see a sharp dropoff when a player reaches a certain age and their athleticism drops off, even a smidge. It happens quickly. It happened to Nelson. He was never really an explosive athlete to begin with. He had great deep speed but he just isn't that athlete he was before. He averaged 9.1 yards per catch last year. That's horrible for a WR. Especially for a WR that spends as much time outside as Nelson does. I don't understand why so many people think Graham wasn't effective in Seattle. He had 10 TDs last year and over 900 yards the year before. You can tell his production clearly dropped off when he went to Seattle but it's not like he was horrible there. That has to do more with Russell Wilson's playing style and the offensive design. Graham was a stud in New Orleans. On par with Gronkowski. We have a chance to have dual pass options with 14+ TDs in Adams and Graham. That opens up your offense so much more for Rodgers to be able to put up 40+ TDs and have a prolific offense again. Our offensive talent just hasn't really been that good the last few years.

If you look at the combine numbers, Jimmy Graham's 10 yard split, 20 yard split, 40 yard split, 20 yard short shuttle, and 3 cones were all comparable or better than Nelson's. But we are talking about a 6'7 265 lb TE instead of a 6'3 215 lb WR. We just acquired one heck of a player.

Agree with all of this. Sad as hell about losing Jordy, but Graham is a major addition on offense. Seattle never figured out how to use him.

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

Has anyone heard anything about the contract details? I'm curious to see what he got.

Nothing's been reported. Some have pointed to the fact that his agent hasn't leaked the details as a possible good sign for us.

54 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

That's the thing. I disagree with most on this. I think the D is more talented than the offense. We've been investing a ton of draft resources to the defensive side of the ball year after year. There is talent on the defensive side of the ball. It just wasn't being used very well by Capers and his staff. Our WR and TE groups are actually among the least explosive groups in the NFL. We still have huge needs at OLB but I think we actually have talented guys in the secondary. I just don't think Capers was a very good fit for how Thompson likes to build the team. Capers defenses have always been predicated on having seasoned veterans that understand his offense. Thompson liked a young roster. It just wasn't a good fit. I think Josh Jones is an explosive athlete at the Safety position and HHCD is a very solid safety. I think Kevin King is going to develop into a nice player, and House is a solid #2 corner. We have a few candidates to fill the slot role. We don't have an elite secondary but we don't have a lousy one either. We actually did have a pretty lousy TE group though.

Safety is safe but Cb is very light and OLB is laughable behind CM. House came back and stole a pay check. We are clearly letting Burnett walk. Lots of holes. I do t see the talent you see. Oh and we let our 10 interception kid go to the browns. Again not sure where you see talent. 4 of the top 5 scoring defences played in the seni finals this year. 

i'm torn on this. on one hand, i'm bitter over the loss of jordy nelson, who i believe could still be an effective receiver. it was reported a few weeks ago that nelson was open to taking a pay cut. apparently this was not the case, and when we approached nelson to restructure he didn't want to acquiesce to our demands. that's the business. i wish he would have retired a packer

as for graham, it's true that he gives us a weapon at the position that we haven't had. he should feast against smaller CBs in the red zone. he's a lock for ten touchdowns, and a threat to pace the league in receiving TDs overall. however, on tape i see a TE who is soft (can't block worth a damn) and slow. i feel like this was a name brand buy. i would have much preferred to buy the injury discount with tyler eifert than a big name tight end signing like this

6 hours ago, Slinky said:

I don't think people realize how much we'll miss Jordy. Sure he sucked last year. But he also didn't have Aaron throwing him the ball. 

I feel so sad about Jordy leaving but Jordy isn't the same player he once was.  Adams could still be productive without Rodgers last year.   

I hope Graham is as productive as Cook was when we finally say Cook on the field in 2016...

A couple things.

Gute made a mistake by not cutting Jordy sooner in the offseason. Listening to the outcry, even some player tweets, people are looking at this as we cut Jordy to sign Graham. While that's partially true, they shouldn't be linked that close together. Two different positions, circumstances etc

IMO that's too much money for Graham. He's not the best tight end and shouldn't be paid like one.  And I'll throw this out there. Rodgers can be a whiner. I hope we didn't do this just to appease him after cutting Jordy because it's an obvious overpay. Cook had a better 2018 than Graham

At that price give me a premium CB

This isn't overpay, this is Free Agency.                

Gute                                                                                                   Ball 

this-is-sparta.jpg

Archived