Packers releasing WR Jordy Nelson

deltarich87

1 minute ago, Zing said:

Just comical tho, really. 

This fan base complains when we don't make FA moves. We sign a few and they complain as it isn't good enough. We cut a vet to make cap room, and some complain. Then to stop it all off some complain because they are worried about his feelings. What the heck is going on out there. 

The players know its a business. That's why they work to maximize the money they can get each contract.

This is a bit of a joke though, isn't it? When was the last time a player signed a contract, outplayed said contract, tried holding out to get one that was more in line with his play and it worked? The other way works though, a guy underperforms during his contract and at some point he's very easy to cut. 

I'm behind the move, it makes sense. I wish Jordy could've retired here, Jordy wishes he could've retired here, it didn't work out. Jordy was offered some sort of extension to stay, he didn't feel it was enough and he went and found a contract he was ok with. Everyone should be happy.

Just now, Ketchup said:

Clearly we all don’t have the same feelings. Generalizing the entire fan base gets us nowhere. It’s no different then any other team and it’s fans. 

I loved Jordy too. Great player on the field and did a ton for the community off the field. Hell, was a great guy to meet in person and was very down the earth. 

What I'm getting at is - this is a business. One that just so happens to have nearly every move made be in the public spotlight. Ever worked at a company where they've fired someone? Demoted them? Asked to take a pay cut? It all sucks. You don't sugarcoat any of these moves. 

Any successful boss will tell you - it isn't a fun thing to do. Thus you get straight to the point and simply make the move. You are messing with someones family and lively hood at this point, and no one likes doing that but it has to happen. 

But to sit and judge the front office on how they handled each cut/roster move simply doesn't make sense to me. Watch Hard Knocks - its a pretty damn short conversation. You treat someone with respect by being direct, not beating around the bush. 

Just now, HighCalebR said:

This is a bit of a joke though, isn't it? When was the last time a player signed a contract, outplayed said contract, tried holding out to get one that was more in line with his play and it worked? The other way works though, a guy underperforms during his contract and at some point he's very easy to cut. 

I'm behind the move, it makes sense. I wish Jordy could've retired here, Jordy wishes he could've retired here, it didn't work out. Jordy was offered some sort of extension to stay, he didn't feel it was enough and he went and found a contract he was ok with. Everyone should be happy.

Players always get their guaranteed money unless they royally mess up. Fans don't pay enough attention to the guaranteed portion, that's what agents and players push for.

Just look at the new age Cousins deal now.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Better fire Gutekunst....apparently it did not work.

@NormSizedMidget. Anyone have a website for this?

Oh I'm not there yet.  I think he's started his tenure off terrible but I'll give him a couple years what is looking like .500 football before I go there.  Just because I think he's a coward for the way he handled the Nelson ordeal doesn't mean it's  a one strike and you're out deal.  Again, JMO and I know I'm harsh.  It's the pessimist in me.  I'll gladly eat my words if given reason.  

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Was going to type out virtually the same thing. 

Somehow it's more insulting to offer someone a $2million than to offer them $0 million?

Because one says we value you at a price higher then what we are comfortable paying so we are letting you go and explore your options. The other says we only value you at the vet minimum. 

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Is it? They signed the same contract the team did. 

Guaranteed money. How is the contract structured. Is it a perfect world when it comes to contracts in the NFL, no. But NFL team pays NFL player, thus its a job. 

Just now, SSG said:

Except Nelson didn't do that.  He gave the team 2 MASSIVE deals negotiating with the Bay substantially sooner than he had too.  He comparing him to his peers, he was vastly underpaid and yet he never made a peep.  

Nelson knew what he was doing when he signed those contracts.  He is naive if he felt that him being cut was not a possibility.

Pretty sure no one forced him to sign for less than he could get on the open market.

He made a business decision when he signed those deals.  Has no one to blame but himself for signing those deals.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Players always get their guaranteed money unless they royally mess up. Fans don't pay enough attention to the guaranteed portion, that's what agents and players push for.

Just look at the new age Cousins deal now.

Yeah, I overlooked that bit when I was talking about cutting Jordy before we did. I'm totally with guaranteed contracts. Makes it easier for me to keep track of things. lol.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

That was to appease a pissed off fan base and had absolutely nothing to do with what they thought of Jordy Nelson IMO.  Don't fool yourself, Gute knew it was going to be a very unpopular decision and he did everything he could to save face.  His motives were clear and the presser was an absolte joke.  Did they have a presser when they released Sitton?  I don't ever recall Thompson having a press conferance like that with his tail planted as firmly between his legs as it could get.  IMO, it showed just how weak of a leader he is.  He felt like he had to put on a show..  JMO though.

I hate to call your opinion wrong because technically they can't be, but it's as close to wrong as you can get. It's like you haven't been following along this off-season.

They literally asked Gute in his opening press conference if he would be different from Ted as far as being open with the fans go. The Sitton release was the exact example used because fans never got an answer. He responded that he hoped he would handle it differently.

The moment came and he came out and answered everyone's questions and thanked Jordy for his time. Calling it a joke shows me all I need.

It's unfortunate your Green Bay Jordy's cut Nelson. Maybe a new player will rise to the point where you can put them ahead of the team?

5 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Because one says we value you at a price higher then what we are comfortable paying so we are letting you go and explore your options. The other says we only value you at the vet minimum. 

stop looking at it like we cut nelson.  We didn't exercise a team option.  That's how the NFL works.  We didn't exercise an option, and then we made our best offer.  Gosh, what indecency.  GB front office should be ashamed.

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

Except Nelson didn't do that.  He gave the team 2 MASSIVE deals negotiating with the GBP substantially sooner than he had too.  When comparing him to his peers, he was vastly underpaid and yet he never made a peep.  

Who made way more than $31million from 2014 to 2017?

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

stop looking at it like we cut nelson.  We didn't exercise a team option.  That's how the NFL works.  We didn't exercise an option, and then we made our best offer.  Gosh, what indecency.  GB front office should be ashamed.

Oh it's not the cutting of Nelson that bothers him, it's the fact we wanted to bring him back.

4 minutes ago, Zing said:

Is it? They signed the same contract the team did. 

Guaranteed money. How is the contract structured. Is it a perfect world when it comes to contracts in the NFL, no. But NFL team pays NFL player, thus its a job. 

I'm not going to argue cap too much.. but if you went to your boss and asked for a raise that you definitely deserve and he says no, do you go back to your desk and keep working or do you start sending out feelers to other companies? Players don't have that option, it's a bit silly because if they stop trying as hard they'll get cut. If they hold out they can be viewed as malcontents and make less money on their next contract. I've never seen a hold out be successful, but I definitely can understand why they're doing it.

I'm definitely not crying about pro athletes and their money, but I can see why they feel like they get the short end of the stick in contract negotiations.

Archived