Titans to sign Malcolm Butler-CB

KingTitan

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

After the last five years, this is a real weird thing to read about our corner situation. Though I also think he's being really generous with his use of the term "No. 1."

Very liberal with that term. But agreed, finally seems like corner is no longer a weakness.

If Adoree takes a step forward, we might mess around and have a legit tough to pass against secondary. Not sure if I'll be able to adjust, I've almost become numb to my heart skipping a beat whenever literally any QB throws the ball to a target that isn't in camera view.

20 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

without specifics its hard to tell what is front loaded, actually guaranteed and guarantees for injury only, etc.

As it stands, its $12M/year... Most of the guaranteed pays out in the first 2 years... So there's a likely out in year 3. Probably something close to 36-38M actual paid (but not in cap money) in those first 3 years... 

It fits in line with a good staring corner back... Actually may be a bargain. Good deal... Will probably look even better when the details emerge...

See this is why I made the point about contracts earlier, structure matters. People just see headlines, see the numbers, do basic division and assume that's the cap hit for x amount of years signed. Its not. Those big numbers that scroll across the bottom line on ESPN are there to make the player and agent look good. The real meat comes in the structure of the deal. This is why I'm a big fan of how PFT breaks down contracts. They break down the year to year base salary, guarantees, cap number, where options are. When teams can get out of the deal with the least amount of repercussion. These FO's have figured out the cap,and they know how to protect themselves when delving out money(see Richard Sherman). until the cap stagnates, I don't see reason to fret it. 

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Yooo....I forgot all about the fact we now have Kerry Coombs as our seconday coach.

Makes me even more giddy about this signing and our seconday.

Stealing the nickname "Legion of Coombs" from some random guy on Twitter.

No doubt it is a huge contract but Butler was one of the few players in this free agency I would be comfortable giving that kind of money to. He is a number 1 corner and before last year was a top 10 CB in the league.

There is no real awesome pass rusher in free agency so why not help the defense another way and get one of the best CBs to shore up the secondary even more. Really happy with this signing the secondary is now a strength not a weakness. Been a long time since that was the case with the Titans.

Good MCM article on Butler and what he brings to the D

Back to Butler as a player. As you might expect from a former Division II player from West Alabama, Butler plays with a permanent chip on his shoulder. As Jimmy covered in his post yesterday, Christopher Price described Butler’s practice habits as “manic” and that he “played like rent and food were on the line every snap”.

Late last season Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders — one of the toughest covers in the NFL — wrote an article for The Players Tribune describing the five toughest corners he’s ever faced and he started with Butler. His description is fascinating reading, but this is the part that stuck out to me.

He reminds me a lot of Chris Harris. He got that dog in him, too. He’s always doing those extra little things to make you uncomfortable — jamming you as hard as he possibly can at the line of scrimmage, or giving the ball an extra punch just when you think you got it secured. He’s a pit bull. He’s tenacious. He never gives up.

He also described Butler’s aggressive coverage style, detailing how he likes to press and stay a step behind receivers to take away the underneath routes while relying on his excellent closing speed to help him deep — essentially a trail technique. Here’s an example of that in coverage against Odell Beckham Jr.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2018/3/14/17117840/malcolm-butler-gives-the-titans-the-makings-of-an-elite-secondary

Archived