Lions re-sign Nevin Lawson for 2 yrs/$10.3 million

Louis Friend

32 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I do agree it was likely an overpay but still a solid move.  Maybe Tabor learns how to football again this offseason and our CBs wont be too bad. Better than throwing 12+ mil at Butler.

I agree about not touching Butler for that money, but imo, Nevin is not worth $5M per. 

I feel like Bob Quinn is sitting back thinking we are the Patriots and not a team that should be addressing serious needs. And yes, I know the draft is next month, but we have a HUGE hole at DT, a HUGE hole at LG if Glasgow is moving to center as it appears. Our running game was atrocious and our depth at the position are free agents. And we just spend 20% of our capspace on Nevin Lawson. This leaves us with $7-9 million left depending on contract structures. 

The options in free agency are not great, and it has always been tough to bring talent to Detroit which generally causes an overpayment.  Sit back, wait it out, guys will get cut, we can make moves.  It doesn't have to be all right away.  We do have a second round CB from last year he may have more faith in than us.  He also may have an idea about who and how he wants to draft.  There also are guys out there still that we can get.  I wouldn't panic yet. 

6 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with how Tabor is viewed long term.

I think Tabor is going to be good. I was a big fan of his in the draft. I was really hoping we'd spend the money on an elite nickel. Someone with speed. I think that could be what makes our secondary elite. 

I think that could very well be Lawson. He didn't run well at the combine, but he's got great speed. Quin likely views Tabor as the long term solution opposite Slay, which might help towards explaining why we didn't make a serious attempt at any of the higher profile corners. I have no real idea though... I continually forget that Tabor is even on our roster.

$5 million a year feels like a lot until you look at the other contracts being given out. Lawson was solid last year, he should be just as good if not a little bit better over the next two years. He gives them a cheap starter. You basically need 3 starting CB's in the NFL right now, and he's a solid #2. If Tabor progresses and takes over the #2 spot, then you have a really good #3 with Lawson. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

but imo, Nevin is not worth $5M per. 

Backup offensive lineman are basically getting $5 million a year. Barely used WR's are getting $7+ million a year. Lawson is a fair deal at $5 million when you consider the landscape we're in. 5-6 years ago? Yeah that would be a terrible contract, bur things are changing, contracts are getting larger and larger. 

3 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Backup offensive lineman are basically getting $5 million a year. Barely used WR's are getting $7+ million a year. Lawson is a fair deal at $5 million when you consider the landscape we're in. 5-6 years ago? Yeah that would be a terrible contract, bur things are changing, contracts are getting larger and larger. 

I think he's worth the money. I just would have preferred we upgrade over him. Even at the expense of more money. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree about not touching Butler for that money, but imo, Nevin is not worth $5M per. 

I feel like Bob Quinn is sitting back thinking we are the Patriots and not a team that should be addressing serious needs. And yes, I know the draft is next month, but we have a HUGE hole at DT, a HUGE hole at LG if Glasgow is moving to center as it appears. Our running game was atrocious and our depth at the position are free agents. And we just spend 20% of our capspace on Nevin Lawson. This leaves us with $7-9 million left depending on contract structures. 

I agree to a certain extent.

I dont feel we need to add anything other than a run stuffing DT who can eat space. Veterans like that are not very difficult to find. Now this doesn't mean to me that we dont have a need for some star power, but I believe we will be drafting a DT in the first 3 rounds.

I feel similarly about the G position with regard to signing 3rd wave vet and drafting on in the first 3 rounds.

I envision we go DT, RB, G in some order in the first three rounds, looking at our roster with the moves today.

As for Lawson, not the first choice, and a bit high, but he is versatile and will be able to provide some veteran leadership given his tenure and time sepnt with us.

Archived