Jets sign Trumaine Johnson

49erurtaza

For not being the sort of straight-zone defense that plays best to Tru's strengths, this is probably the next-best situation for him being with Haley whose calling card is putting his best players - particularly DB's - in the best position to succeed.  Plus, this gives Tru to safety protection that he requires.

I didn't really want him on the Browns because I think he's kind of overrated, but I assumed we'd be the ones overpaying for him. It seemed like such a natural fit.

He's a solid player, but not a true #1 like he's getting paid to be. He's a great #2 and a slightly below average #1 in my opinion. The fact that he's making this much money is kind of a shock. That being said, teams with a ton of cap space don't really mind overpaying.

7 minutes ago, DawgX said:

That's pricey, but still a bit disappointed that the Browns missed out on him.

Kinda feel the same about missing him for Houston - but I don't think the Texans had a real plan to court him. 

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I didn't really want him on the Browns because I think he's kind of overrated, but I assumed we'd be the ones overpaying for him. It seemed like such a natural fit.

He's a solid player, but not a true #1 like he's getting paid to be. He's a great #2 and a slightly below average #1 in my opinion. The fact that he's making this much money is kind of a shock. That being said, teams with a ton of cap space don't really mind overpaying.

This sums it up to me. If you've got an insane amount of cap room go spend it and improve your roster in an area of need. You overpaid for a guy, so what? You've got another $75m to blow.

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Kinda feel the same about missing him for Houston - but I don't think the Texans had a real plan to court him. 

As a Browns fan, I think Dorsey doesn't want to overspend too much on a CB given how deep the draft is at CB this year. And it looks like we'll have to use at least one, if not two early picks on CBs unless we can sign Fuller, which is doubtful, or someone like Gaines.

Plus, I think a lot of Browns fans thought we had a good shot at Johnson due to his connection with Gregg Williams. Oh well. I definitely won't lose any sleep over missing out on him.

Archived