Jets sign Trumaine Johnson

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

As a Browns fan, I think Dorsey doesn't want to overspend too much on a CB given how deep the draft is at CB this year. And it looks like we'll have to use at least one, if not two early picks on CBs unless we can sign Fuller, which is doubtful, or someone like Gaines.

Plus, I think a lot of Browns fans thought we had a good shot at Johnson due to his connection with Gregg Williams. Oh well. I definitely won't lose any sleep over missing out on him.

See, as a Texans fan - everything has to happen in FA, with the Texans not picking in the first or second (but you guys know that). 

Gaines is the final out - Texans GM Brian Gaine (no relation) got a good look see at him in Buffalo. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

See, as a Texans fan - everything has to happen in FA, with the Texans not picking in the first or second (but you guys know that). 

Gaines is the final out - Texans GM Brian Gaine (no relation) got a good look see at him in Buffalo. We'll see.

Why didnt you guys target Breeland?  He got a very reasonable deal.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why didnt you guys target Breeland?  He got a very reasonable deal.

I really don't know. His name never really came up as an option - it was always Johnson, Butler, Gaines. Heck, Aaron Colvin wasn't mentioned either.

It's a slight overpay, but we need to overpay for people to come to the meadowlands. With that said, Bowles runs a ton of press and Tru graded out as the best press corner in the league last year, so from a scheme perspective, it's an outstanding fit.

9 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

It's a slight overpay, but we need to overpay for people to come to the meadowlands. With that said, Bowles runs a ton of press and Tru graded out as the best press corner in the league last year, so from a scheme perspective, it's an outstanding fit.

"Last season, Trumaine Johnson allowed a 34.8 passer rating on passes his way when in press coverage, while surrendering just 1 TD across 604 total coverage snaps #Jets"

A lotttt of money, but my guess is it's front-loaded. I expect most of the guarantees to be in year 1 and 2, injury guarantee in year 3. 

Claiborne was really good in the press-man role for most of the year, but his play disintegrated when he injured his ankle. Forced the Jets to use him off the LOS over the final few weeks of the season, and he just got roasted. 

Archived