Linebacker thread - Marquel Lee Hype Train!!!

Silver&Black88

Its under a week into camp and the staff sounds like they like Marquel Lee.  A lot.  Read them gush over him:

http://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/01/raiders-mlb-battle-marquel-lee-looking-the-part-early/

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/8/1/16080766/rookie-marquel-lee-a-natural-favorite-to-win-raiders-middle-linebacker-support-veteran-leaders

“I think he’s done a pretty good job thus far of showing that he’s a pretty good learner and he’s got a good presence about him,” Del Rio said Tuesday before going on to state that Lee has been “solid” thus far in camp.

“He’s a natural,” Defensive Coordinator, Ken Norton Jr said. “He’s played that middle linebacker for his whole football career. We like him. Big shoulders, long, really loves contact. You can’t give him enough work. He’s always asking for more. He’s very coachable. Really like his development at this point. . . we’ve asked him to show us a little bit more on the physical side and he’s done that. We’re very happy with the development and where he’s is at this point.”

Think he enters the season as starter?  And who starts at WLB?  Can James take it?  Or Jenkins?  Is Heeney gonna get any playing time?

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Think he enters the season as starter?  And who starts at WLB?  Can James take it?  Or Jenkins?  Is Heeney gonna get any playing time?

Please no to Heeney as anything other than special teams and backup LB.  Guessing that Jenkins will get a decent amount of playing time.  Im really not sold at all on our LBs regardless of what the coaches are saying right now.  Not saying Lee wont or cant be good, but having a 5th round rookie as our starter is just a scary thought.  I just hope that if these guys arent looking solid enough at some point we give Perry Riley Jr a call.  He may not be the best in the league, but he was more than solid for us last year.

54 minutes ago, daineraider said:

Please no to Heeney as anything other than special teams and backup LB.  Guessing that Jenkins will get a decent amount of playing time.  Im really not sold at all on our LBs regardless of what the coaches are saying right now.  Not saying Lee wont or cant be good, but having a 5th round rookie as our starter is just a scary thought.  I just hope that if these guys arent looking solid enough at some point we give Perry Riley Jr a call.  He may not be the best in the league, but he was more than solid for us last year.

Dude, its like 5 days into TC.  That's like a HOF resume for Lee already.

I do wonder about Riley too.  I think it ends up the same situation as last year.  Wait out the first few weeks and bring him off the street if we need him and he's available.  Hoping James/Jenkins can be an upgrade over Smith.

Lee is a very intriguing player to say the least. I have some doubts he can step in right away and be our starting MLB. However I do love his skill set and think he could develop into something down the road.

Ideally we would bring Reilly back for another 1-2 years (probably 1), groom Lee and give him some decent PT, then have him step in full time next year. The thought of a rookie LBer coming in and having the green dot scares me tbh.

Lee is in the mold of Perry Riley and Curtis Lofton. He's mostly a downhill player who plays instinctively within his athleticism, but isn't going to shrink the field for offenses. Whoever ends up playing the other ILB spot will see a lot more action - especially against tight ends. 

On 8/4/2017 at 1:06 PM, Rich7sena said:

Lee is in the mold of Perry Riley and Curtis Lofton. He's mostly a downhill player who plays instinctively within his athleticism, but isn't going to shrink the field for offenses. Whoever ends up playing the other ILB spot will see a lot more action - especially against tight ends. 

I mean, he's not a Wagner or Willis or something, but I'd say he's got a bit more athleticism than Riley/Lofton.  Maybe I'm getting it twisted since as they've aged, they lost some athletic ability.  Ted Nguyen seems to think Lee could play WLB for us.  I'm not sure I agree with that, but he's studied the guy more closely than I have.  My point being, I think he's a bit more athletic than you're giving him credit for.  Pardon the cliché but...."sneaky" atheltic haha

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I mean, he's not a Wagner or Willis or something, but I'd say he's got a bit more athleticism than Riley/Lofton.  Maybe I'm getting it twisted since as they've aged, they lost some athletic ability.  Ted Nguyen seems to think Lee could play WLB for us.  I'm not sure I agree with that, but he's studied the guy more closely than I have.  My point being, I think he's a bit more athletic than you're giving him credit for.  Pardon the cliché but...."sneaky" atheltic haha

I studied him before the draft thinking he'd fit the mold of what Reggie might look for in the later rounds. He looks the part and has good length, but he's also a bit stiff and lacks explosiveness. Probably the most intriguing aspect of his game was his effectiveness as a blitzer through the A-gap. Still, I'm not holding my breath on him being demonstrably better than what the Radiers have fielded in the recent past - at least not this season.

Our LB core is badddd. Our MLB/WLB has to be the worst combo in the league. Sorry for being negative guys but it's hard to look past. Sure Lee has potential, but drafting a 3rd-6th Round MLB and having him start.. ive seen this story before. Heeney, Burris, James.. while I do like Lee's game we need to temper our expectations. He is a 5th Round talent. Some of you are acting like he's our solution at MLB. I just hope he be a good enough stop gap for a whole season. If our Run Defense is in the 20's we are not going anywhere. 

50 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Our LB core is badddd. Our MLB/WLB has to be the worst combo in the league. Sorry for being negative guys but it's hard to look past. Sure Lee has potential, but drafting a 3rd-6th Round MLB and having him start.. ive seen this story before. Heeney, Burris, James.. while I do like Lee's game we need to temper our expectations. He is a 5th Round talent. Some of you are acting like he's our solution at MLB. I just hope he be a good enough stop gap for a whole season. If our Run Defense is in the 20's we are not going anywhere. 

Except to improve on a 7 win season by 5 to get to 12 wins and the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I don't know much about Lee but i think Jenkins will surprise a lot of people if he can stay healthy.  He provided good value during FA, is young and has been productive when on the field with the Dolphins.  I think he is the best WLB we have had in a long time.  

42 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Except to improve on a 7 win season by 5 to get to 12 wins and the playoffs.

Wasn't talking about last year. We're not going 12-4 again with that same point differential. Don't get me wro, I think we get 10-11 wins but with an improved defense and much better point differential. 

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Wasn't talking about last year. We're not going 12-4 again with that same point differential. Don't get me wro, I think we get 10-11 wins but with an improved defense and much better point differential. 

I know you weren't talking about last year but we did have a 20ish ranked run defense and still got 12 wins. I was just pointing out it's possible. With the improvements we made to the team ,in many areas, I think we are very capable of improving on that win total and point diff (which was 11th btw).

Now whether the chips fall in a way that we are able to do that is anyone's guess as is how our lbs will perform in the regular season.

SO tired of this "weak lb unit" retread. They haven't even played a preseason snap together yet and they are already "bad" with 4 d's haha. Whatever dude.

Archived