Free Agency Update : Chris Hubbard to the Browns

JustPlainNasty

43 minutes ago, JustPlainNasty said:

NFL.com has it reported : 

Hubbard is joining the Browns on a five-year deal worth $37.5 million that includes nearly $18 million guaranteed, Rapoport reports.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_signing_ex-steelers_ot.html

Should bring us some decent compensatory consideration.

Seems like that's worthy of a 3rd round comp 

Before this year, Steeler fans constantly labeled Hubbard a bum.

Some was unfair hate of a young player....some was justified because he looked terrible in preseason.

Now, this might be a nice signing for the Browns in the long run....but Im really curious to see how he plays in a non-contract year and without the coaching of Lord Munchack.   Could he be good starter?   Sure.   Would I bet THAT kind of money on it?   No.  

I would say best of luck to him, but since he is going to the Browns....Ill just say "stay healthy" and quietly hope he sucks. 

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Before this year, Steeler fans constantly labeled Hubbard a bum.

Some was unfair hate of a young player....some was justified because he looked terrible in preseason.

Now, this might be a nice signing for the Browns in the long run....but Im really curious to see how he plays in a non-contract year and without the coaching of Lord Munchack.   Could he be good starter?   Sure.   Would I bet THAT kind of money on it?   No.  

I would say best of luck to him, but since he is going to the Browns....Ill just say "stay healthy" and quietly hope he sucks. 

I didnt realize Steelers fans thought poorly of him at least to a degree that mattered. I mean he was an undrafted free agent. 

I do think he was an asset for the Steelers but do have some concerns for him elsewhere. He might be a better accent piece than a foundation.  

Glad he's getting paid, the scarcity of the market demands it. Just hope he starts and does well at least for this year and so we get as good as comp return as possible. 

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I didnt realize Steelers fans thought poorly of him at least to a degree that mattered. I mean he was an undrafted free agent. 

I do think he was an asset for the Steelers but do have some concerns for him elsewhere. He might be a better accent piece than a foundation.  

Glad he's getting paid, the scarcity of the market demands it. Just hope he starts and does well at least for this year and so we get as good as comp return as possible. 

Prior to this season, I never heard anyone say much positive about him.     He usually only played during preseason where he was reviewed poorly, and I dont recall him winning many over in the few games he started in 2016.

For an undrafted free agent, I agree, he shouldnt have really been held to high standards, and we got more out of him than most UDFAs.....but either way, I recall alot of poor reviews of his play prior to 2017, and based on what I recall, I was never too impressed with him either.

This past year I thought he did an admirable job,    Would I pay him big money based on it?  No, but thats partly because the Steelers have a bad history of paying OLineman after one semi-decent year (Max Starks, Willie Colon, Chris Kemoeatu, Kendoll Simmons).   

In todays league, the reality is, players win big contracts based on one year.   However, its always scary to pay players based soley on how they performed in a contract year....and that goes doubly for a guy like Hubbard, who needed help in many cases and was playing under an OLine coach who seemingly knows how to get the most out of players.      We'll see how he does going forward, though.

And that’s fine. But there’s a difference between responsible and irresponsible spending. This was the latter. They could still use some ILB and DB help but they haven’t spent a dime there and there was some good options. 

Remember the Raider in Al Davis' last years.  They tossed money around because no one wanted to go there.  I think this is similar.  what FA would want to go to a team that has won a single game i n2 years unless they are getting top dollar.

I disagree because their other signings are actually good deals. Fells at $4 mil per, Hyde at $7 mil. Those are good deals. They fit in with their talent and what similar guys are getting paid. This deal jumps Hubbard high into OT money. He’s not worth that. 

As a Browns fan I'm not crazy about this signing. Coleman was solid at RT and is obviously much cheaper. Unless Hubbard is either a significant upgrade over Coleman or can eventually replace JT, then I think it's money wasted.

1 hour ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

I'd have traded Bell, signed Hyde and filled the holes on D

Hyde is slower than Bell, bad pass catcher, and a liability in pass protection. Would take another back to replicate what Bell give us. We would have needed Hyde and McKinnon to give us that and they have a combined $13 mil AAV. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Hyde is slower than Bell, bad pass catcher, and a liability in pass protection. Would take another back to replicate what Bell give us. We would have needed Hyde and McKinnon to give us that and they have a combined $13 mil AAV. 

Disagree...Hyde isn’t on Bells level but is a good enough all around back...especially at 1/3 if the cost. He played well especially behind a poor OL.

You weren’t going to replace Bell...but my goal woulda been to replace 75% of Bell at a fraction of the cost.

Archived