Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The guy had 10 TDs last year in a terrible offense.

And his catches and yards were extremely underwhelming.  Heck, he didn't even manage 10 yards receiving in 5 games last year.  He had 3 catches or less in 9 games which speaks volumes about his ability to consistently get open.  He was great in the redzone but offered little to nothing when he wasn't catching TDs which isn't a stat that can be depended on.  He looked like a shell of his former self.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Ray... This is the fourth time I will have asked you to provide evidence.  Show me one major free agent acquisition that was 27 years old or younger at the time of signing.  Go back four GMs if you have to. 

Green Bay is a place for older free agents to sign if they want to win a ring.  It's not, it never has been, and it never will be a place for 27 and younger multi-millionaires. 

I'm not denying Thompson used free agency enough.  There were plenty of cheap options he could have signed that he didn't.  I am arguing that the Packers will never be the Trumaine Johnson or Sammy Watkins destination. 

Horizon haven’t read every post you have made however weren’t you hoping that GB was aggressive in FA? If we think we overpaid on Graham than we would have overpaid more for Johnson or Watkins... are you meaning that we have to be more open to trades and to get those younger players? Just curious not arguing 

17 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

Horizon haven’t read every post you have made however weren’t you hoping that GB was aggressive in FA? If we think we overpaid on Graham than we would have overpaid more for Johnson or Watkins... are you meaning that we have to be more open to trades and to get those younger players? Just curious not arguing 

I mean he is the guy who said

"It's like that line in The Office where Michael Scott says he loves inside jokes and that he'd love to be a part of one some day.

I love trades.  I'd love for us to be a part of one some day.  Again exclusively for the purpose of proving Gute isn't exactly like Thompson, and again even though I was distinctly NOT a Thompson hater.

Other than Peters, I haven't even really wanted any of the players that have gotten traded, I've just wanted a trade.  Even if it was us trading Cobb or something.

I'm terrified that Gute will be exactly like Thompson once the regular season starts.  That was the biggest downfall to Thompson's style.  So many years we could have competed for a Super Bowl if he had just gone out and made a move to cover for injuries.  2015 was a potential Super Bowl year if he'd just gone out and gotten a receiver to stretch the field.  2016 could have been a Super Bowl year if he had just gone out and gotten a capable cornerback. 

That's why I want to see a trade so badly.  Gute said he will look at every way of acquiring talent?  Prove it, man.  Prove it so I don't have to worry about in-season adjustments. 

Signing old free agents a few days after free agency starts will not be evidence enough of a change for me.  Even Thompson realized towards the end that you need players who have seen how other teams succeed or fail to be added to a team towards the end of his time as GM.  Strange it took him such a significant time considering he won a Super Bowl in large part due to Picket, Woodson and Green as well as through aggression in the draft (a second first round pick instead of 9,000 5th-7th round picks)."

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Ray... This is the fourth time I will have asked you to provide evidence.  Show me one major free agent acquisition that was 27 years old or younger at the time of signing.  Go back four GMs if you have to. 

Green Bay is a place for older free agents to sign if they want to win a ring.  It's not, it never has been, and it never will be a place for 27 and younger multi-millionaires. 

I'm not denying Thompson used free agency enough.  There were plenty of cheap options he could have signed that he didn't.  I am arguing that the Packers will never be the Trumaine Johnson or Sammy Watkins destination. 

When is the last time we had available cap to compete with the teams who sign those type of players? We have been paying a QB top dollar for the last 25 years. Have we ever been a top 10 team in terms of available cap during that stretch? I'm guessing no and that is the principal reason we don't (can't) get those guys.

GB could have signed Watkins or Johnson if they wanted. If they offered $16-17 million/year to either, they'd be a Packer, end of story. But when you have $20 million in cap, you can't really do that. That's basically our relative position year in and out when you have Favre and then Rodgers.

I mean, its not like we got the advantage of paying Rodgers a rookie contract and using the extra cap. He rode the bench for 3 years while we paid Favre and then we started paying Rodgers right after that on a new contract. 

51 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Guys... guys..... People that leave GB are all pro. People in GB are the worst. That's all you need to know. 

I’ve always heard it as GB replaces its talent with rookies and UDFA’s, but your statement works too.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You can't use hindsight as to whether or not they were worth it. Woodson was viewed as an overpay and that was a steal.

Graham or Will would've signed those deals with another team. We didn't pay a premium for GB.

Obviously Ted signed Peppers. Every move he made in FA worked out. Would've been nice if he did it more.

At the time of the signings, Marquand Manuel was seen in a very positive light.  Just like a draft you have to give it some time.  

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Ron Wolf signed plenty of FAs, Mike Sherman signed a bunch of bad FAs (Joe Johnson was the worst) and Gute just signed 2 of the top 10 FAs on the market before FA officially opened.

If you believe Thompson was active every year and just missed out because "Green Bay" I've got some swamp land you might be interested in.

If it is swamp land in Green Bay, I am not interested.

7 hours ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

On the contrary, I'm against big splashes in free agency.  I don't ever want the Packers to make those deals.  I don't think Graham was a big splash at all.  What was it, three years 30 million for him?  Is that what I saw?  That's 9 million more than Bennett signed just last year.  Same position, and Graham is older.  I just think it's a little silly to act like Gute is wildly different from Thompson in early free agency simply because he signed Graham. 

Gute is different from Thompson.  No doubt about that.  I hope he's different with in-season free agency and roster moves, but I don't think he's all that different in early free agency. 

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

When is the last time we had available cap to compete with the teams who sign those type of players? We have been paying a QB top dollar for the last 25 years.

This is a good point, but not a great point.  Teams with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and worse quarterbacks on big deals have made more splashes in free agency over the past 25 years  than we have. 

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Except we didn't overpay Graham or Wilkerson, nor Peppers.

There's plenty of FAs that want to win championships. 

Yes.  And there are only so many jobs available for all these players looking for a job and only so much cap for each team to work with.  I suspect once a player comes to town and checks out the facilities he will be impressed with what we have in that little town in northeast WI.

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You can't use hindsight as to whether or not they were worth it. Woodson was viewed as an overpay and that was a steal.

Graham or Will would've signed those deals with another team. We didn't pay a premium for GB.

Obviously Ted signed Peppers. Every move he made in FA worked out. Would've been nice if he did it more.

Not every move, unfortunately.  If that one did last season we wouldn't have needed to go get Graham.  :(

Archived