Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

Wilkerson has been productive at a high level and not too old to recapture that, and yet hopefully old enough now to have matured and realize what he has to lose. Asking for a one year deal so he can prove himself may show his initiative. That's what I keep telling myself.

I agree 100% on Graham, but have argued that enough in other threads. The risk is too high for that money. Would rather have had a CB at that price

But you have to agree TE was a need.  I hope we draft a TE next month so in the foreseeable future we won't need to try and fix that position in FA again for a while.

33 minutes ago, Pugger said:

But you have to agree TE was a need.  I hope we draft a TE next month so in the foreseeable future we won't need to try and fix that position in FA again for a while.

Of course it was a need. But we signed a TE on the downside to a contract that makes him the highest paid in the league when one could argue he isn't even top 5. Meanwhile, our secondary remains in absolute shambles which probably means we can't draft an Edge with 14 so we are pushing our luck there and can't add the elite athlete we sorely need. Domino affects go both ways. That contract is even more expensive than on the surface for those reasons IMO. If we go into the season with King and a Rookie at CB, and are talking draft by October, it will be because of this signing in my eyes

13 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Take age out of it and stop avoiding the question.  Major free agent acquisition.  Any age, but it has to be major.  Don't give me Peppers, Woodson, Graham, Wilkerson.  Those guys are all old and chasing rings.  In my opinion, Graham is equal to Cook/Bennett combined.  Better than either for sure, but not so astronomically different as to be called a major departure. 

It's just not there.  The Packers don't get major free agent additions of comparatively young players about to become multimillionaires. 

Bottom line:

Green Bay, Wisconsin is the last geographical location out of 32 where a person wants to live half the year. 

You keep changing the goalposts on this one to fit your argument.  You can't deny that Charles Woodson was a major FA signing.  He didn't come to Green Bay to chase for a ring.  Sure, you can make an argument for that with Julius Peppers, but the other three you mentioned are not ring chasers. 

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

At what point is that too high to draft one?  At this point, I'm not convinced we're taking one before Day 3.  We're obviously not taking one on Day 1, and will the Packers utilize one enough to take them on Day 2?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

At what point is that too high to draft one?  At this point, I'm not convinced we're taking one before Day 3.  We're obviously not taking one on Day 1, and will the Packers utilize one enough to take them on Day 2?

At this point, I think Graham offers a hope for what Bennett would have been and a 2-3 year fix for the TE position.  Does not mean that if a developmental player drops and is good value in the later 3rd/early 4th, GB could/should pull the trigger on drafting one.  

Since there are some rumors that GB is still looking at the TE market of FA, maybe they are looking to add another one.  Maybe a younger one to develop....Toilolo, Ebron, ASJ??

Just now, squire12 said:

At this point, I think Graham offers a hope for what Bennett would have been and a 2-3 year fix for the TE position.  Does not mean that if a developmental player drops and is good value in the later 3rd/early 4th, GB could/should pull the trigger on drafting one.  

Since there are some rumors that GB is still looking at the TE market of FA, maybe they are looking to add another one.  Maybe a younger one to develop....Toilolo, Ebron, ASJ??

I can't speak for others, but the path for the TE position is pretty clear.  Jimmy Graham will be the starting TE as long as he's under contract.  Lance Kendricks is the backup TE for now at least.  They're probably only going to keep one more TE, and a veteran TE isn't going to come into Green Bay to be the 3rd TE, so you can probably cross off guys who are on their second contracts.  I seriously doubt Ebron or ASJ have any interest in coming to Green Bay to be the third string TE.  Grab someone like Ian Thomas on Day 3, and your TE position is in a good position for a few years.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I can't speak for others, but the path for the TE position is pretty clear.  Jimmy Graham will be the starting TE as long as he's under contract.  Lance Kendricks is the backup TE for now at least.  They're probably only going to keep one more TE, and a veteran TE isn't going to come into Green Bay to be the 3rd TE, so you can probably cross off guys who are on their second contracts.  I seriously doubt Ebron or ASJ have any interest in coming to Green Bay to be the third string TE.  Grab someone like Ian Thomas on Day 3, and your TE position is in a good position for a few years.

No arguments on that.  Just not sure that Kendricks is still on the roster.  Saves $1.6M (or around that).  Maybe MM is revamping the offense and there will be less reliance on the WR and more on the TE and RB. 

Hey....Let me dream a little

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you have to consider we don't have a blocking option at that position. Our resident insider said the Packers are in love with Fumagali who can maybe be had in the 4th and you make him the blocking option for now ?

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

No arguments on that.  Just not sure that Kendricks is still on the roster.  Saves $1.6M (or around that).  Maybe MM is revamping the offense and there will be less reliance on the WR and more on the TE and RB. 

Hey....Let me dream a little

The Packers don't really save enough to make it worth moving on from Lance Kendricks.

Just now, Siman08/OH said:

I bet RR will be back, but Eifert would be a sweet #2 TE option. Don’t need a high priced #3 WR anymore.

I'd bet a good amount of money we take a Day 2 WR, and that's our #3 WR.  And I don't think the Packers are going to pony up the money for Eifert nor would he come here to be a backup.  He'll go somewhere he has a clearer path to PT.

The Graham signing pretty much guarantees we will not be taking a TE early and makes it much more likely we take a WR early in the draft. Right now we have Adams, Cobb, and whole lot of nothing at WR. Cutting Jordy magnified the need for a WR even more. We've struck gold in the second round when it comes to taking a WR so maybe we will again.  

10 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

The Graham signing pretty much guarantees we will not be taking a TE early and makes it much more likely we take a WR early in the draft. Right now we have Adams, Cobb, and whole lot of nothing at WR. Cutting Jordy magnified the need for a WR even more. We've struck gold in the second round when it comes to taking a WR so maybe we will again.  

I'm thinking a trade-up from our 3rd round pick seems more likely.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I don't want us to take one too high but if a good one falls and is there in the 3rd it might not be a bad idea to take him if we have already addressed the defense earlier.  Graham will be the starter but he isn't a kid and we really should stabilize this position so we don't have to spend big in FA after JG is gone.

Just now, Pugger said:

I don't want us to take one too high but if a good one falls and is there in the 3rd it might not be a bad idea to take him if we have already addressed the defense earlier.  Graham will be the starter but he isn't a kid and we really should stabilize this position so we don't have to spend big in FA after JG is gone.

My guess, the ideal situation is draft an EDGE in the 1st, draft a CB in the 2nd round, and then in the 3rd round grab a WR.  Day 3 consists of an athletic TE, versatile OL, and a toolsy CB prospect.

Archived