Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

I wouldn't say a day 2 pick is out of the question on TE you've got a few guys that if they're sitting there at our 3rd it would be tough to see many players that have a clear lean. Goedert, Gesicki and Andrews. Now all those 3 could easily be gone and then I think the rest fall into that next tier. By the 3rd I'm all into not worrying too much about what our roster looks like just get me good players.

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I wouldn't say a day 2 pick is out of the question on TE you've got a few guys that if they're sitting there at our 3rd it would be tough to see many players that have a clear lean. Goedert, Gesicki and Andrews. Now all those 3 could easily be gone and then I think the rest fall into that next tier. By the 3rd I'm all into not worrying too much about what our roster looks like just get me good players.

I wasn't trying to imply that there was no way the Packers would draft one on Day 2, I think it's just highly unlikely.  We're not drafting Mark Andrews in the 1st round, and probably not in the 2nd round.  Do you really think he's going to be available in the 3rd round?  Because I certainly don't.  So now you're looking at Gesicki and/or Goedert potentially in the 3rd round pick.  Are you going to draft a TE whose probably not going to get much PT over say a WR whose got a clearer path to PT?  Right now, I'd venture a guess that our first three picks are going to be EDGE, CB, and WR in some order.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't trying to imply that there was no way the Packers would draft one on Day 2, I think it's just highly unlikely.  We're not drafting Mark Andrews in the 1st round, and probably not in the 2nd round.  Do you really think he's going to be available in the 3rd round?  Because I certainly don't.  So now you're looking at Gesicki and/or Goedert potentially in the 3rd round pick.  Are you going to draft a TE whose probably not going to get much PT over say a WR whose got a clearer path to PT?  Right now, I'd venture a guess that our first three picks are going to be EDGE, CB, and WR in some order.

I'd say it's close to impossible Andrews is there. I'm not a fan of his but he ran what he ran so someone will use a 2nd on him. I'm just saying he's in that 2nd tier (first if you don't think Hurst is clear #1)  that has a chance of lasting into the 3rd round. I think if you want a stand out at TE in the next 2-3 years you better draft them in that area now.

We're on the same page though, 3rd is the highest I'd spend, even then unlikely.

Man, how didn't I know Hurst was old balls yet? I think they all pretty much blend together. 2-3 rounders. 

On 3/15/2018 at 5:10 PM, HighCalebR said:

I'd say it's close to impossible Andrews is there. I'm not a fan of his but he ran what he ran so someone will use a 2nd on him. I'm just saying he's in that 2nd tier (first if you don't think Hurst is clear #1)  that has a chance of lasting into the 3rd round. I think if you want a stand out at TE in the next 2-3 years you better draft them in that area now.

We're on the same page though, 3rd is the highest I'd spend, even then unlikely.

Man, how didn't I know Hurst was old balls yet? I think they all pretty much blend together. 2-3 rounders. 

I'd eat a shoe if Andrews was available at our 3rd round pick.  It's unlikely he's at our 2nd round pick, I'd probably at least attempt to eat my shoe if he was there with our 3rd round pick.

I don't see it with Hurst at all.  Maybe I'm missing something.  Looks like a Day 3 prospect to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update on Mo Wilkerson, already deep into his offseason training session. Lots more in the article

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/muhammad-wilkerson-is-motivated-and-excited-for-fresh-start-with-the-packers/

"So by the time Wilkerson was officially released, on Feb. 28, he was already well on his way to finding a healthier plane, both mentally and physically. It was time for change, and Wilkerson had already set up shop at the Under Armour Performance Center in Baltimore shortly after the Super Bowl, formulating a plan with trainer Tony Ponton to finish rehabbing his injury while also building strength, power and conditioning.

"He knew he definitely needed to ramp it up this year considering what his body has been through the past two seasons," Ponton said. "He is really in that state of mind where I've got to prove myself again, because people think he's fallen off. He's got a name for sure, and that name still carries some weight, but he knows he wants to show people that he's still Big Mo "

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's an update on Mo Wilkerson, already deep into his offseason training session. Lots more in the article

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/muhammad-wilkerson-is-motivated-and-excited-for-fresh-start-with-the-packers/

"So by the time Wilkerson was officially released, on Feb. 28, he was already well on his way to finding a healthier plane, both mentally and physically. It was time for change, and Wilkerson had already set up shop at the Under Armour Performance Center in Baltimore shortly after the Super Bowl, formulating a plan with trainer Tony Ponton to finish rehabbing his injury while also building strength, power and conditioning.

"He knew he definitely needed to ramp it up this year considering what his body has been through the past two seasons," Ponton said. "He is really in that state of mind where I've got to prove myself again, because people think he's fallen off. He's got a name for sure, and that name still carries some weight, but he knows he wants to show people that he's still Big Mo "

Let's hope he is primed for a big year.  Would be nice to have the 2018 DL of Wilkerson / Clark / Daniels....with Adams /  Lowry / mid round DP.... be a leading unit on the defense.  Would make for a nice change to have a more dominant DL group to take some pressure off the other position groups that currently are a bit underwhelming.    That group could also be brought back in full for 2019 and beyond.

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"Players don't want to play in GB"

"This is all new to me, but just going to Green Bay and visiting, I just felt like that was the place for me to have a new start," Wilkerson said. "There's a lot of great tradition there and a lot of great players came through that organization and hopefully I can be a part of something great there and good things can definitely happen for me and the rest of the team there.

"Just when I walked in the facility, just looking at everything, the trophies and everything on the wall -- the energy and the vibe -- it was like, 'I've got to be here; this is the place to be.' And going to the field just walking out of the tunnel and just being able to play there for eight home games and the playoffs, I know the atmosphere will be great. I got chills just walking out of the tunnel and the stadium was empty and I'm just picturing my first home game and I know it will be great, man."

15 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

"This is all new to me, but just going to Green Bay and visiting, I just felt like that was the place for me to have a new start," Wilkerson said. "There's a lot of great tradition there and a lot of great players came through that organization and hopefully I can be a part of something great there and good things can definitely happen for me and the rest of the team there.

"Just when I walked in the facility, just looking at everything, the trophies and everything on the wall -- the energy and the vibe -- it was like, 'I've got to be here; this is the place to be.' And going to the field just walking out of the tunnel and just being able to play there for eight home games and the playoffs, I know the atmosphere will be great. I got chills just walking out of the tunnel and the stadium was empty and I'm just picturing my first home game and I know it will be great, man."

I think it might take some players to be humbled and realize that playing in the NFL is something that they will need to be dedicated to and work at vs something that is a given for them.   As a rookie contract player, many might see themselves as having made it for the long run vs just the (high percentage) that are going to stick through the rookie deal and then be replaced by another cheap player on a rookie deal.    Once a player gets a taste of that humbling, some may come to realize that playing anywhere is better than not anywhere.  Some would rather choose not playing in GB and in addition to not playing anywhere else as well.  

Oh come on.

Yes. A lot of players don't want to come to Green Bay. Not everyone cares about tradition and nostalgia. 

Sure some do, but it's not the norm and just because a couple guys like it, once they've signed here anyway, doesn't mean it's not way down the list for places most players want to go.

17 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

I have a feeling if we can get a FA player to actually come and see our facilities they will get the same feeling Mo did.   I suppose the trick is to get them to come...

Archived