Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why? If your #1 priority when picking a team is weather and night life, I can build a fine team without you. If location is important to you because you want your kids to go to school in a certain state or how safe the area is for your family? Totally cool. I don't need you leaving the cold on an off day to chill on a boat in Miami, not crazy at all.

Nobody's #1 priority is night life. It's always money.

Wanting to live in a place that has opportunities to do things players want to do isn't an offensive action. NFL players aren't robots where they step off the charger, walk onto the field, and then immediately step back on the charging pad located in the practice facility. They're people.

The Packers organization isn't some group that's miles better than what's going on in other cities.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody's #1 priority is night life. It's always money.

Wanting to live in a place that has opportunities to do things players want to do isn't an offensive action. NFL players aren't robots where they step off the charger, walk onto the field, and then immediately step back on the charging pad located in the practice facility. They're people.

The Packers organization isn't some group that's miles better than what's going on in other cities.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

On 4/14/2018 at 10:19 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nobody's #1 priority is night life. It's always money. Wanting to live in a place that has opportunities to do things players want to do isn't an offensive action. NFL players aren't robots where they step off the charger, walk onto the field, and then immediately step back on the charging pad located in the practice facility. They're people. The Packers organization isn't some group that's miles better than what's going on in other cities.

"Come to GB and make a run for the SB with AR. Or - come to GB and to go fishing in a blizzard when you're not making a run for the SB with AR"

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's Ben Fennell with some cutups on Mo Wilkerson and his Pass Rushing prowess. Amazing Versatility for such a Big Man

HUGE addition to the Packers DL and he'll make Clark and Daniels even better

Normally I think Fennel does good work but he's drinking the kool-aid here. You could take those same pictures with  Daniels and Clark for sure and could probably take them with Lowry or even Dial if I was properly motivated.

Would also feel a lot better about that sack production if his examples had come in the last two seasons. None of them did. All were pre-injury.

Here's the Wilkerson sack reel from 2017:

https://i.imgur.com/ovc0b9a.gifv Clean up sack, only guy not getting pressure

https://i.imgur.com/PYOZwjD.gifv I'll give it to him, more of a team sack, but we'll acknowledge it.

https://imgur.com/X2XEYoy Coverage sack/group sack

https://i.imgur.com/wtpakPi.gifv Truly inspiring stuff

AG: Are you a moonlighting as a wet blanket salesman in the offseason ?   B|

The J-E-T-S are, and have been, one of the absolute worst teams in the league over the last couple of seasons. And ironically enough, we've seen this movie before with Sir Charles Woodson when he left the horrible raiders and was allegedly all washed up post-injury. ( cracked fibula, bone-on-bone in his knee)

The Packers MDs and the Packers DC & HC have all had a chance to meet with and examine Wilkerson - and they signed off on him. I'm gonna trust that process

Besides, what's wrong with a little Kool-Aid  ? Beats the hell out of unsweetened lemon juice every time.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

AG: Are you a moonlighting as a wet blanket salesman in the offseason ?   B|

The J-E-T-E are, and have been, one of the absolute worst teams in the league over the last couple of seasons. And ironically enough, we've seen this movie before with Sir Charles Woodson when he left the horrible raiders and was allegedly all washed up post-injury. ( cracked fibula, bone-on-bone in his knee)

The Packers MDs and the Packers DC & HC have all had a chance to meet with and examine Wilkerson - and they signed off on him. I'm gonna trust that process

Besides, what's wrong with a little Kool-Aid  ? Beats the hell out of unsweetened lemon juice every time.

ftfy

Last year, Wilkerson had money.

This year, Wilkerson wants to get money. 

Players who want to get money always play better than players who have money. 

Wilkerson is going to give us a hell of a year, then he will give us either a good compensatory pick or a good way to sink millions of dollars for 2-3 years for a player with motivation concerns. 

On 7/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, Outpost31 said:

Last year, Wilkerson had money.

This year, Wilkerson wants to get money. 

Players who want to get money always play better than players who have money. 

Wilkerson is going to give us a hell of a year, then he will give us either a good compensatory pick or a good way to sink millions of dollars for 2-3 years for a player with motivation concerns. 

Albert Haynesworth, who Wilkerson reminds me of a lot, never cared again.  The second Wilkerson got paid he stopped caring.  He threw his training staff, coaching staff and teammates under the bus trying to make excuses for his disgusting effort.  He was a locker room cancer that did far more damage than good.  

Even If he can flip a switch, change his stripes and show that he's not completely worthless, I    doubt he ever gets a big pay day.  He's shown to be a low character play that has the ability to stop giving effort.  I don't think teams will ignore that if by chance earn a raise.

...and a lot of the times a change of scenery can do a hell of a lot for a players career...just sayin'. Not to mention reuniting with a coach that he had great success playing under. Not to mention getting to play next to KennyClark and Mike Daniels...

How a coach manages a situation makes a big difference as well.

Rex Ryan says he never had a problem with Wilkerson, yet the Jets had a talk with Wilkerson about his behavior prior to him signing the big deal, so this was about more than getting a big contract and then not putting the effort in.

Bowles came in and put an emphasis on discipline, whereas Rex Ryan is a bit more of a free spirit himself.  I still think its possible that the issue in New York may have involved both a personality clash between Bowles and Wilkerson as well as a change in the way he was used resulting in the reduced production. 

I think it is possible that Pettine will be able to reset Wilkerson's attitude and get more production.  We know from history that he knows how use him in the defense.  If not, it is only one year  on a modest contract with no dead money for next year.

I thought Martellus Bennett was going to pull his head out of his butt too but he fooled me. That was the worst case scenario. We gave the best money offered, I’m not so sure we did that with Wilkerson. Wilkerson wouldn’t of come if he had problems with Pettine, there is reason to be optimistic but Wilkerson is no sure thing. If things don’t go like his early Jet years he may become disgruntled thinking he was recreating the Jets defense. All in though I think he’ll be given the opportunities he is looking for,

From Spotrac:

Muhammad Wilkerson signed a 1 year, $5,000,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $1,500,000 signing bonus, $1,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2018, Wilkerson will earn a base salary of $1,600,000, a signing bonus of $1,500,000, a roster bonus of $1,487,500 and a workout bonus of $300,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,887,500 and a dead cap value of $1,500,000.

///////////////////

He's a small time investment with a potentially big time payoff in our system. With all this backward looking / forward projecting "how will it play out?" theorizing I dont believe (could be wrong....) that I read anyone exploring the following: the effect of winning...of a teams success on a players performance.

The NYJ's (IMO) have been a floundering, underachieving and under performing organization for years. (Somewhere in the world Bill Belichick just broke into a broad smile and he doesnt know why......). Not so the Green Bay Packers.

Lets see how he performs when there's actually a reason to play other than collecting a paycheck.

Thankfully, that time is rapidly approaching.

Archived