Packers Sign DE Mo Wilkerson

Gopackgonerd

9 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

How a coach manages a situation makes a big difference as well.

Rex Ryan says he never had a problem with Wilkerson, yet the Jets had a talk with Wilkerson about his behavior prior to him signing the big deal, so this was about more than getting a big contract and then not putting the effort in.

Bowles came in and put an emphasis on discipline, whereas Rex Ryan is a bit more of a free spirit himself.  I still think its possible that the issue in New York may have involved both a personality clash between Bowles and Wilkerson as well as a change in the way he was used resulting in the reduced production. 

I think it is possible that Pettine will be able to reset Wilkerson's attitude and get more production.  We know from history that he knows how use him in the defense.  If not, it is only one year  on a modest contract with no dead money for next year.

I have a hard time blaming Bowles for this.  Is there a quality coach in the league that would have came in and put Wilkerson on the pedestal that he required to be on?  Wilkerson wanted the ability to show up to meetings when he saw fit, whether that is just being late or just blatantly skipping them.  There is no way you can bread success in a locker room by setting that sort of example.  You are hammering rookies for being late while letting Wilkerson do what he wants when he wants because he's got a big contract.  If anything the Jets made it worse by not tossing Wilkerson out with the trash earlier.  He'd been useless since signing the contract so they wouldn't have been out anything but money and they'd have saved the damage that he did to their young locker room.  

I  don't think the outcome would have been any different had Ryan or Pettine been the coach.  Wilkerson would have still gotten paid and IMO that's the biggest reason he started thinking he was above the Jets franchise.  

From Packers Wire:

Wednesday was a good day to be Muhammad Wilkerson.

The Green Bay Packers defensive lineman earned a $1 million bonus for reporting to the start of training camp, which, according to Field Yates of ESPN, is the largest bonus of the type in the NFL in 2018

“There is a lot more in this tank, and I know that. I’m ready for this change and the doubters, I’m ready to pretty much shut them up,” Wilkerson said. “And people will still talk of course, as people will, but it’s a motivation for me, definitely.”  Wilkerson said he was never 100 percent healthy the last two years in New York

22 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From Packers Wire:

Wednesday was a good day to be Muhammad Wilkerson.

The Green Bay Packers defensive lineman earned a $1 million bonus for reporting to the start of training camp, which, according to Field Yates of ESPN, is the largest bonus of the type in the NFL in 2018

“There is a lot more in this tank, and I know that. I’m ready for this change and the doubters, I’m ready to pretty much shut them up,” Wilkerson said. “And people will still talk of course, as people will, but it’s a motivation for me, definitely.”  Wilkerson said he was never 100 percent healthy the last two years in New York

Sweet! Now show it on the field!

636683060284526365-44-072718-PACKERS-CAM

The first thing the offensive linemen learned about him is that his listed height and weight of 6-4, 315 pounds does not tell the entire story.

“Mo is a large human being,” said guard Justin McCray, who at 6-3, 317 pounds is not small. “And then he’s deceptively very quick and he has long arms and great power. “And you can just tell he’s played a lot of football. Real savvy. He brings a lot of things to the game.”

Guard Lane Taylor didn’t have a chance to face Wilkerson all spring because he was recovering from ankle surgery. But he remembers McCray telling him something very important about him.

“I asked McCray, how’s Wilkerson?” Taylor said. “He’s like, ‘Don’t let the belly fool you. The guy can move.’ He definitely can. He’s big. Anytime you can get a big guy who can move, it’s a rare thing.”

Archived