Ravens void contract with Ryan Grant due to failed physical; Colts sign him to 1-year, $5M deal

Dr LBC

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

As a Dolphins fan, there are definitely instances of some teams failing a player during their physical while other teams may pass them.

596e30a93d2c3.jpg

Even more recently, haven't there been teams who have released a player because their doctors wouldn't pass them and then that player was signed by another team? Even with the Ravens, we had Zachary Orr, who our doctors wouldn't pass to play football anymore so he retired, and teams like the Lions and Colts worked him out but wouldn't say if he passed their physicals or not. Then you have guys like Nick Collins, Sam Shields, etc. in the same situations. Happens all the time, IYAM.

34 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Even more recently, haven't there been teams who have released a player because their doctors wouldn't pass them and then that player was signed by another team? Even with the Ravens, we had Zachary Orr, who our doctors wouldn't pass to play football anymore so he retired, and teams like the Lions and Colts worked him out but wouldn't say if he passed their physicals or not. Then you have guys like Nick Collins, Sam Shields, etc. in the same situations. Happens all the time, IYAM.

Nick Collins was never cleared by another NFL team. Shields hasn’t played in the NFL since week 1 of the 2016 season and just now got cleared by another NFL team. Those two are nothing like what just happened. 

16 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Nick Collins was never cleared by another NFL team. Shields hasn’t played in the NFL since week 1 of the 2016 season and just now got cleared by another NFL team. Those two are nothing like what just happened. 

The premise though that players who fail physicals with one team don't get signed by another team, I feel like is still false though. The overarching point is that different teams evaluate players' health differently. Team A might feel the player is healthy enough for them but Team B might not feel that same way. That's the situation here.

It's not even that a team would pass him. It's that a team would pass him for the contract originally offered especially with regard to injury guarantees. I'm sure he could play a game, but injury history always affects contract values.

Reportedly the Ravens themselves talked to Grant about a modified contract.

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

It's not even that a team would pass him. It's that a team would pass him for the contract originally offered especially with regard to injury guarantees. I'm sure he could play a game, but injury history always affects contract values.

Ok. Grant has never even missed a single game in his career.

55 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

This is exactly in the vein of what I posted a few pages back.

We haven't seen the original contract structure.  Based on the structures we've been seeing (including the recently-signed Hurst deal), it's likely that some of the guarantees related to base salaries guaranteed for injury.  Would make sense to revisit those if something turned up.

49 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Ok. Grant has never even missed a single game in his career.

Not much further to go on this topic with people who won't acknowledge that the revelation of the high ankle sprain is a thing. A thing that changes this story to SOME degree at least.

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not much further to go on this topic with people who won't acknowledge that the revelation of the high ankle sprain is a thing. A thing that changes this story to SOME degree at least.

player tears ACL in week 17

ACL hasn't healed a year later

Player can't pass a physical with Team A

"But this player hasn't ever been injured before!"

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Just reference Rodger Saffold. That's your fairest argument.

I remember my Raiders did the same thing Staffold it was a bad deal i think the whole NFL was crowing us about how much money we was about to give him,So they wanted out the deal but they didn't make it look so obviously lol Ravens need to just man up which they won't.I'm still stuck on why in the hell would they even give him a contact like that anyway.I mean i know the market is kinda crazy but GEEZUS lol 

Colts signed Ryan Grant, formerly of the Redskins.

The news comes from ex-Packers receiver James Jones, who is breaking news faster than Adam Schefter these days. The Ravens voided their deal with Grant because of a "failed physical," but he reportedly passed a physical with the Colts when he visited them last week. Grant is a solid receiver who will help fill out the Colts' paper-thin receiving corps, but they still could use more help. As it stands, T.Y. Hilton, Chester Rogers, and Grant top the depth chart.

Archived