Ravens void contract with Ryan Grant due to failed physical; Colts sign him to 1-year, $5M deal

Dr LBC

3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Quote from Ryan Grant.. "If there was an issue with my ankle, I wouldn't have passed the physical with the Colts and the Raiders," Grant said. "I can't control what [the Ravens] did. I can't control their assessment of my ankle. I've gone to other places. I've seen multiple doctors and I've passed physicals so that should pretty much speak for itself."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22845408

Sounds like the Ravens did him dirty.

I mean granted, he should've never got the contract the Ravens gave him but man.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I absolutely think the length, size, and injury guarantees of the contract are affected by a medical evaluation. It's not pass/fail.

Why do you think there are so many medical evaluations at the combine. Do you guys think every draft prospect gets a pass/fail evaluation of health too?

Throwback to 2010 NFL draft. The Ravens evaluators wanted Rob Gronkowski. Then the medical evaluations came in and they had to take him of their board becuase the doctors flagged his back. Anyone who wants Ryan Grant to get back at the Ravens or for them to be "punished" should be hoping this works out similar. If he's a long term good starting then that's how the Ravens lose here. Not some grievance.

I mean, a physical in the NFL is literally, by definition, pass/fail. There are no other outcomes. You pass the physical or you fail the physical.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Are people really suggesting there's a sliding scale for physicals?  

Sure - there's the one where you conduct it in good faith, and the other where you don't. 

im sure they werent suggesting it two weeks ago, things change though. Apparently health should now be based on how much money you make. 

6 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I mean, a physical in the NFL is literally, by definition, pass/fail. There are no other outcomes. You pass the physical or you fail the physical.

The conditions on which you pass or fail though change from team to team depending on your health and how much of a risk they view that as, I would bet.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

The conditions on which you pass or fail though change from team to team depending on your health and how much of a risk they view that as, I would bet.

and how much money they're going to overpay you. 

6 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

im sure they werent suggesting it two weeks ago, things change though. Apparently health should now be based on how much money you make. 

This isnt really a new concept at all.  Yes the physical is pass/fail but the conditions in which somebody passes/fails are affected by other things.  In this case the Ravens were very forthright.  They came out and said there is a significant injury guarantee and they werent comfortable with the results of the physical so the contract was voided.  Yes how much money you make is always going to affect the results of a physical.  It has for decades.  Or more correctly put, the results of the physical have a direct effect on how much money you can make.

14 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Is your fanhood at such a level that your organization can do no wrong?

I remember how the Titans did McNair dirty, and I hate that they did what they did (locking him out before trading him), and I have no issue acknowledging the fact that we did the wrong thing.

I believe some are reacting to the constant stabbing at the Ravens.

The discussion about Grant in our own forum is pretty clear headed, plus not many of us justify what the Ravens as an organisation did to Grant. 

The nuances in the contract which could give some sort of an explanation is also ignored by posters in this thread - so its a give/take scenario.

8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

This seams like a pretty cut and dry situation to me. Ryan Grant was overratedpaid because he might get injured.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This isnt really a new concept at all.  Yes the physical is pass/fail but the conditions in which somebody passes/fails are affected by other things.  In this case the Ravens were very forthright.  They came out and said there is a significant injury guarantee and they werent comfortable with the results of the physical so the contract was voided.  Yes how much money you make is always going to affect the results of a physical.  It has for decades.  Or more correctly put, the results of the physical have a direct effect on how much money you can make.

can you link that? The only thing ive seen is newsome saying it was strictly medical and he had no control over it.

17 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The conspiracy theory is usually never the simplest explanation. And yes, this IS a conspiracy theory by definition, even if true.

It’s not a conspiracy theory. Multiple teams and doctors passed him. The Ravens gave him a high and controversial contract. All of a sudden the one test he fails is for that team. 

Its simple, it’s ekementary. It’s the most logical explanation 

Archived