Ravens void contract with Ryan Grant due to failed physical; Colts sign him to 1-year, $5M deal

Dr LBC

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Sucks when that’s what happens and people just believe what they want to believe, doesn’t it? 

And yes, I’m still salty.

On the plus side - your team probably jumped up 1 spot in the casual public's estimation of organization scruples.   So there's that. 

I hope grant lights it up. Such shady business by the Ravens to fail that physical. If all the other teams passed him on his physical, you have to realize that a lot of medicine is concrete. Teams physicals are very similar in terms of comprehensiveness. I don't see why one team would have a very different opinion than another given they're all trying to win games and avoid players with nagging injuries. Shame the NFL won't investigate this more, this is bad business for players. Look at all the money Grant lost out on because of this move. Just terrible, you have to feel for the guy.

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

can you point me where i can read up on teams instructing their medical staff to have different qualifcations for passing a physical based on contract?

No I can't. Just like you can't point me where I can read that all physicals are pass/fail no matter the circumstances/stipulations. We know for a fact that different teams have different standards for passing a physical, and that those standards are not necesarily nefarious. Beyond that, I am only speculating, just like you and everyone else in this thread.

FWIW, I am no Ravens fan. Can't stand John Harbaugh. But there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for Grant failing the Ravens' physical but passing all others. I'm just speculating on what that explanation might be.

I also would love for Grant to file a grievance just so the details on everything would come out. I'm curious.

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

On the plus side - your team probably jumped up 1 spot in the casual public's estimation of organization scruples.   So there's that. 

Baby steps! 

Still probably dead last in the polls though lol.

59 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

No I can't. Just like you can't point me where I can read that all physicals are pass/fail no matter the circumstances/stipulations. We know for a fact that different teams have different standards for passing a physical, and that those standards are not necesarily nefarious. Beyond that, I am only speculating, just like you and everyone else in this thread.

FWIW, I am no Ravens fan. Can't stand John Harbaugh. But there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation for Grant failing the Ravens' physical but passing all others. I'm just speculating on what that explanation might be.

I also would love for Grant to file a grievance just so the details on everything would come out. I'm curious.

nfl physical are pass/fail, thats required by rule. the standards to passing or failing may change from team to team, but in the end its either one of two results. 

while i may not be able to point to any specific rule, it speaks to common sense. youre saying that teams have directed to their medical staff that they need to alter the definitions of healthy on a per case basis. if youre going to make that allegation, there has to be something to back it up. obviously this would be an extreme example, but its like calling joe schmoe stranger that you just met a murderer, someone defending him and then saying "welp, guess were stuck... we're both just guessing on if hes a murderer".

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

nfl physical are pass/fail, thats required by rule. the standards to passing or failing may change from team to team, but in the end its either one of two results. 

while i may not be able to point to any specific rule, it speaks to common sense. youre saying that teams have directed to their medical staff that they need to alter the definitions of healthy on a per case basis. if youre going to make that allegation, there has to be something to back it up. obviously this would be an extreme example, but its like calling joe schmoe stranger that you just met a murderer, someone defending him and then saying "welp, guess were stuck... we're both just guessing on if hes a murderer".

I'm not making any allegation. I'm speculating just like you are. Neither of us know whether varying the pass/fail standard based on contract terms is against the rules, or if the Ravens even did that. We do already know that the pass/fail standard varies by team, so the former is not out of the question. Just as, because Grant passed all physicals but the Ravens', it's not out of the question that the Ravens did something shady.

Congratulations on the ridiculous homicide analogy, though.

40 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

I'm not making any allegation. I'm speculating just like you are. Neither of us know whether varying the pass/fail standard based on contract terms is against the rules, or if the Ravens even did that. We do already know that the pass/fail standard varies by team, so the former is not out of the question. Just as, because Grant passed all physicals but the Ravens', it's not out of the question that the Ravens did something shady.

Congratulations on the ridiculous homicide analogy, though.

youre absolutely making an allegation. Youre saying medical staff are determining health by how much they are being paid. A guy that makes the league minimum can slide by with a neck injury, hes making 10 mil, not so much. Man, would lawyers feast on this if true. the analogy still stands... "im not accusing bro... just speculating".

19 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yea, thats not a legit source at all, if it was even said. especially given the fact that thr gm is on record as sayonv it was purely medical and he had zero to do with it. very interested to see a tweet though...

and heres the thing.... its not logical at all. the medical side should never mix with the money side. im not sure of all the rules doctors have but that would have to violate some. either a person is healthy or they arent. regardless of what they make a year.

thats whats not logical.  Even in OUR lives money is absolutely a factor.  Want proof go change your life insurance policy and quadruple it.  If you dont think the insurance company is going to require more testing and go over the results with a fine tooth comb youre foolish.  At my employer i can choose a 1x coverage multiplier without any medical testing.  If i do their "biometric screening" i get a discount on my health insurance.  If i pass the screening get more of a discount.  If i decide to max my life insurance to 4x then i must first pass a physical before my coverage kicks in.  An injury guarantee is basically like an AFLAC policy.  And you would never get approved for preexisting conditions.  

11 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

youre absolutely making an allegation. Youre saying medical staff are determining health by how much they are being paid. A guy that makes the league minimum can slide by with a neck injury, hes making 10 mil, not so much. Man, would lawyers feast on this if true. the analogy still stands... "im not accusing bro... just speculating".

You're trying to compare my speculation on this topic to me going up to a random stranger and accusing them of murder. It's silly.

We already know from history (Brees with Miami/NO being a prime example) that the standards of passing a physical vary by team. It also makes logical sense that a team would have different standards of passing a physical depending on the position (ie. a WR would need a better vertical jump than an OT). So it also makes logical sense to me that a team might have a different standard for passing a physical passed on that person's injury history and contract terms. If everything is agreed to ahead of time, I don't see the problem. If the contract gave Grant a $10m injury guarantee, then the Ravens could negotiate and all parties could agree that in order to get that big injury guarantee, Grant would have to jump higher and run faster during his physical.

It's also quite possible that the Ravens just pulled a fast one because they had buyer's remorse. It's OK to entertain the possibility of both scenarios without making ludicrous analogies that make no sense.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

thats whats not logical.  Even in OUR lives money is absolutely a factor.  Want proof go change your life insurance policy and quadruple it.  If you dont think the insurance company is going to require more testing and go over the results with a fine tooth comb youre foolish.  At my employer i can choose a 1x coverage multiplier without any medical testing.  If i do their "biometric screening" i get a discount on my health insurance.  If i pass the screening get more of a discount.  If i decide to max my life insurance to 4x then i must first pass a physical before my coverage kicks in.  An injury guarantee is basically like an AFLAC policy.  And you would never get approved for preexisting conditions.  

Just now, childofpudding said:

You're trying to compare my speculation on this topic to me going up to a random stranger and accusing them of murder. It's silly.

We already know from history (Brees with Miami/NO being a prime example) that the standards of passing a physical vary by team. It also makes logical sense that a team would have different standards of passing a physical depending on the position (ie. a WR would need a better vertical jump than an OT). So it also makes logical sense to me that a team might have a different standard for passing a physical passed on that person's injury history and contract terms. If everything is agreed to ahead of time, I don't see the problem. If the contract gave Grant a $10m injury guarantee, then the Ravens could negotiate and all parties could agree that in order to get that big injury guarantee, Grant would have to jump higher and run faster during his physical.

It's also quite possible that the Ravens just pulled a fast one because they had buyer's remorse. It's OK to entertain the possibility of both scenarios without making ludicrous analogies that make no sense.

I'm quoting both of these because @Superman(DH23)'s insurance analogy is particularly apt in that the biggest difference between the Raven's contract offered (as far as has been reported/discussed) and that of the Colts is injury guarantees over time.  The time component is much more important than the actual dollars component.  The Colts offer is for one year, thus there are no future injury guarantees.  This fact makes concern over a lingering injury moot in many ways as its a one year flier with no residual commitment or guarantee.  This is similar (albeit not identical, but truly is?) to an insurance scenario in which an insurer is much less concerned about the risks in a one-year coverage window vs. those in a twenty or thirty year window.

Archived