2017 Season Thread

kyle21121

So, a few notes:

Got pinged on one of my Chargers newsfeeds yesterday that the team is targeting an October (most likely mid-October) return for Mike Williams.  It's a back injury, which are always tricky, so target date could very quickly turn into "date the finally just decide to put him on the IR."

Also, I talked with Annie last night and the convo just turned to some interesting stuff about how we both feel like the Spanii are artfully blowing their marketing and the amusement we both have at their shock that they weren't just received with sellouts in LA.  It fits with the Alex/Dean MO though - if you pay them/give them stuff, they will come... or so they think.  The team continues to insist on the market coming to them rather than going out to the market.  Annie confirmed that while the team certainly has plans for community outreach stuffs, they haven't done any yet in LA and even when they do it will likely be the same half-arsed, bare minimum level that they were doing (at a declining rate, at that) in San Diego.  And what's worse is she said the players have privately expressed dismay and frustration that the organization isn't organizing or doing more - the players want to, but the family thinks they're "doing a great job already."  Meanwhile the Rams already have been doing a ton of outreach and have a history of doing so back to both St. Louis and the Carroll Rosenbloom years in LA.

You want a model of how to properly roll out the welcome wagons as a new team in the market, look no further than what the Magic/Nomar/Mia Hamm/Ferrell consortium under the management of Peter Guber.  They went grassroots within the community and as someone who sits on the board of a non-profit who has reached out to them recently, they bent over backwards to not just help out but to ensure cultivating a working relationship with our organization.  To probably no one's surprise, the Spanos family has no idea what it's doing and is just letting ego steer the keel.

It's tough. I am more pessimistic than usual before the season begins but it certainly can't be a write off yet. I understand what we have all been through as fans of this team over the years why people would feel this way but I don't think we can call it a season right now it would be foolish to do so. 

This is a talented team on paper we just need some things to break (or many things to not break) the right way and just see what this team can do. 

What an unwatchable game without Rivers playing. Clemons just sucks...

I only watched the first half I have no takeaways. This was just a throw away whatever game. 

No one got hurt as far as I'm aware so I think we came up ahead in this game. 

I'm excited about the season just because I miss football. I really don't know what to think of this season, I'm always optimistic but I don't know if the Bolts will be 5-11, 9-7, or 11-5. I think it's going to be the same theme as last year, can we win in the 4th quarter with the lead or finish games in general? Does Lynn have any clue what's going on and does he have full control 2 former ex-coaches as his coordinator? On the offensive side, my only concern is the O-Line of course and the health or our WR's. I think it's awesome that Lynn is letting a fullback (Watt) block for his ex-college teammate (Gordon). This takes me back to the Neal and LT days, hope they have the same success or even half of that. My biggest concern is that Defense. Gus Bradley worries me a bit but again it comes down to the personnel as well. We don't have a starting MLB for 8 weeks or so and our DB's are great but let's hope they can stay healthy. The D-Line is great and hopefully, they make the backend look better than what they are. Can't to play those donkeys Monday Night, it will be a great test. 

I am super pumped at this point in time as per usual I was said when training camp started and it appeared Lamp and Williams would both be out and now Perryman is also out a while but I guess this fan base is used to injuries it shouldn't faze me as much at this point. 

I think there are many scenarios in which this could be a very good season 10-6/11-5 and probably close to as many scenarios in which we could finish 6-10/5-11. Hopefully we can finish games, stay a bit healthier and have improved OL play which leads to less turnovers and just having better turnover luck in general and not lose every damn fumble and not recover them. Just need some things to go a bit better I feel. 

Hopefully I'll have more highs and less lows than in the previous few seasons. I guess I was just numb by the end of last year I had a nice chuckle watching Lambo miss and resulting into a loss to the fabulous 1-15 Cleveland squad. 

17 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

I am super pumped at this point in time as per usual I was said when training camp started and it appeared Lamp and Williams would both be out and now Perryman is also out a while but I guess this fan base is used to injuries it shouldn't faze me as much at this point. 

I think there are many scenarios in which this could be a very good season 10-6/11-5 and probably close to as many scenarios in which we could finish 6-10/5-11. Hopefully we can finish games, stay a bit healthier and have improved OL play which leads to less turnovers and just having better turnover luck in general and not lose every damn fumble and not recover them. Just need some things to go a bit better I feel. 

Hopefully I'll have more highs and less lows than in the previous few seasons. I guess I was just numb by the end of last year I had a nice chuckle watching Lambo miss and resulting into a loss to the fabulous 1-15 Cleveland squad. 

Thing is, that we're actually doing pretty good on the injury front so far.  While we have the 3 major ones, it looks like Perryman/Williams should be back after the first 4-6 games, and there really isn't any other injury, for anyone that would even see any PT at all, significant or otherwise.  What's noticeable, is that we've had a lot less "dinged up" type of injuries. Sure we've had some preemptive rest days and practices off for guys who get nicks, but that's what should be done.  IMO that lack of minor injuries speaks to either the mentality the team has, and/or the way that the coaches have run their practices (which matters....a LOT, and part of the reason I think that McCoy was a bad HC, I think he was soft not only how he talked with his team, but how he conditioned his players for games).

And honestly, at the end of last year, the best thing we could've done is lose out.  There was nothing worth playing for.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

Thing is, that we're actually doing pretty good on the injury front so far.  While we have the 3 major ones, it looks like Perryman/Williams should be back after the first 4-6 games, and there really isn't any other injury, for anyone that would even see any PT at all, significant or otherwise.  What's noticeable, is that we've had a lot less "dinged up" type of injuries. Sure we've had some preemptive rest days and practices off for guys who get nicks, but that's what should be done.  IMO that lack of minor injuries speaks to either the mentality the team has, and/or the way that the coaches have run their practices (which matters....a LOT, and part of the reason I think that McCoy was a bad HC, I think he was soft not only how he talked with his team, but how he conditioned his players for games).

And honestly, at the end of last year, the best thing we could've done is lose out.  There was nothing worth playing for.

I agree and yea so far so good but just in general what's happened the past few years I am worried about some rand freak injury occurrences happening and any moment in time. We have been lucky all things considered if we only have one player that would have played be out for the year. If Perryman and Williams are back week 6-8 that would be fantastic. I was just speaking in general the last few years not specifically this year although Lamp and Williams getting hurt even before a game was not a dream start to the year. 

And at the point when we were 4-7 or something like that and out of the race it made sense to Tank and lose out it was more so the stigma of being the one team to lose to a winless team all season kinda sucks. 

Archived