2017 Season Thread

kyle21121

So Mike Williams it seems likely he is going to be out for the year and Forrest Lamp is definitely out for the year. Zero games regular or preseason have been played. It seems as though it's starting earlier than usual. 

Min usually quite optimistic at this point in the season but this is a tough blow.

What's you're prediction for starting OL? 

How is everyone feeling at this moment in time? 

Joe Bosa for DPOY 

I have been looking forward to the start of the season in hopes that this year might be different... and here we are.

Was really looking forward to seeing the new Oline with Lamp with as highly touted he was coming out. I guess Feeney will probably end up replacing him at RG but that definitely hurts our depth already before they even played a game.

Losing your top 2 picks from a draft before a game has been played is crushing. I thought TT did a very good job in the draft and was excited to see how they played. Sadly this year is starting off looking once again like another wasted year for #17.

Yea I don't want to be so pessimistic this early but it's hard not to be and to think about a month ago I was really excited. I hope since it's happened so early some guys can step up and we can hopefully still have better OL play than last season.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:14 AM, kyle21121 said:

How is everyone feeling at this moment in time? 

Curious to hear what @MrDrew, @JammerHammer21, and @Boltstrikes think.  I'm sure there was quite a bit of optimism for the offense when you invest your top 3 draft picks into the offense only to see your top two picks likely out for the year with injuries.  I'm not sure you can really throw in the towel as long as Philip Rivers is your starting QB either.

Hope's obviously not lost, but it's disheartening to see this kind of thing happen. Think it also just goes back to the danger of taking a guy like Williams so early - maybe you don't foresee him being lost for the season, but you kind of have to know he's a ticking time bomb for an injury or setback.

There's a lot to be optimistic about, but so much is going to rely on the quality of OL play they get to protect Rivers. If they can give him time, he can almost certainly make plays with almost anyone. Like the look of the defensive front, but don't trust the safeties very much. CBs could be very good, but Verrett's another guy who can break at a moment's notice. That's just kind of the theme with the Chargers - obviously anyone can get injured on any given play, but the Chargers have so many guys with recurring injuries. 

Are they contenders? Almost certainly not. I expect a lot of ups and downs at this point, but the team can be so enigmatic. They can easily play up to anyone's level, and just as easily play down too.

My expectations are exactly what should be expected of a 4-12 team that didn't improve in the off season. We are fielding mostly the same team from last year with a coaching change. I imagine Gordon will get more carries until he goes down. 

I have zero faith in Okung to stay healthy and expect him out after the first four weeks. This is going to be another year when I marvel at Rivers' ability to keep trying and take punishment. Once Okung goes down and the online shuffle begins it gets dark. I also expect to lose Allen yet again because history has taught me not to trust in our ability to stay healthy. 

Corners  will be shallow, Verrett is made of glass and Hayward is a decent spot guy but I think largely overachieved last year.

Really the only place I'm not down on outside of quarterback is our defensive line but they will only be able to carry us so far.

Why is everyone basically saying that Williams is lost for the season.  He started running this week and is on track to play this season....

Losing Lamp hurts, but honestly it hurts more of our depth than it does our actual OL.  There isn't THAT big a dropoff between him and Feeney, though I obviously would've loved to have Lamp there instead.  But now we have to figure out what to do with the backup IOL spot.  With Lamp there, we had the obvious option that Feeney (or I guess off chance of Pulley) being able to slide in at either C or OG and comfortably play there, so we only have to carry 7 OL on gamedays. Now we have to figure out of Tuerk can play C and OG, or carry 8 OL with him as the C backup (or maybe even sign someone like Zuttah) and carry Wiggins/Clark/whoever else as well.

Same sort of thing goes for Mike Williams.  He wasn't a needed piece for this offense to go, but if we get into the season and we're down KA and Benjamin again, he'd be a really nice piece to have to rely on.  But even if he's healthy, he's not even guaranteed to be the #4 WR right away, because Tyrell and Benjamin have shown they can do so much.  I'm still not a huge fan of the pick, but we'll see how it works out...

So I have no idea about Mike Williams I see such differing opinions and reports about it. It just doesn't look good to me and I guess I'm just preparing myself for the worst and if it turns out he does indeed play at some point it will be a pleasant surprise. Now I get it he's a luxury for this team at this point but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be beneficial to have our first round WR play this year. Guys like Perriman and Kevin White missed their rookie years as first round WRs and they have not been on track since. I don't wanna lose key developmental time out of a rookie WR. I love T-Willy and even like Inman a lot as a 4th WR. 

Losing Lamp certainly hurts our depth from what I was seeing he was going to win the RG job. The OL this year should be better there's no reason not to believe that but what the amount of injuries that have been sustained the past few years it's a killer to have this happen before the preseason game.

I imagine this is a good opportunity for Feeney to win a job I can't imagine Wiggins being the starter to begin the season. 

Also very surprising to not see Tuerk listed perhaps it was an oversight? Or who knows I thought he'd be at least competing for Starting C. 

On 8/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, MrDrew said:

Right now the starting OL is supposed to be

Okung-Slauson-Pulley-Wiggens-Barksdale

Tuerk isn't even listed in the depth for C. 

Tuerk has been swapping with Feeney at LG and C.  He's listed as the 2nd string LG with Feeney as the 2nd string C.  I'm pretty confident that they're prepping him for the active backup role.  If they're only going to keep 7 active OL on gameday, it means there needs to be 1 guy capable of playing LG C and RG, and as of right now, Feeney isn't totally ready for C and Tuerk isn't totally ready at OG, so they're really trying to work them in at those positions.  I'm not too worried about one of them being able to get the other position though.

6 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

So I have no idea about Mike Williams I see such differing opinions and reports about it. It just doesn't look good to me and I guess I'm just preparing myself for the worst and if it turns out he does indeed play at some point it will be a pleasant surprise. Now I get it he's a luxury for this team at this point but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be beneficial to have our first round WR play this year. Guys like Perriman and Kevin White missed their rookie years as first round WRs and they have not been on track since. I don't wanna lose key developmental time out of a rookie WR. I love T-Willy and even like Inman a lot as a 4th WR. 

Losing Lamp certainly hurts our depth from what I was seeing he was going to win the RG job. The OL this year should be better there's no reason not to believe that but what the amount of injuries that have been sustained the past few years it's a killer to have this happen before the preseason game.

I imagine this is a good opportunity for Feeney to win a job I can't imagine Wiggins being the starter to begin the season. 

Also very surprising to not see Tuerk listed perhaps it was an oversight? Or who knows I thought he'd be at least competing for Starting C. 

I think back injuries in this league have a very bad connotation that isn't exactly correct.  When we generally hear back injuries, especially herniated discs, we think of these massive fat guys who are putting WAY more pressure on their discs on a consistent basis, and then loading and putting pressure on them on weird angles even more to hit other 300+lb men.  That can do a LOT of damage to you're back.  You VERY rarely see a skill position player with a back injury that is really long lasting. If Mike Williams were a 330lb OT, then I'd be more concerned, but he's a 215lb WR, who's athletic and well proportioned. This was an acute injury (meaning he got hit, or turned/cut whatever MOI happened) and the disc herniated.  Generally in those cases, because the disc isn't on as much consistent pressure as you would have in a chronic herniation, it can retract and heal to some degree, though there's obviously some pain involved in the short term.

A majority of people know someone/or have their own story about a herniated disc, which, while the same injury, is completely irrelevent because 1, it's usually an older, heavier person, and 2, because it's a chronic injury, not an acute one.  But disc injuries in those cases (and I know, my dad has had this for 10+ years), can be super debilitating, and people treat it as if every single disc hernaition is going to be the same way, when it's not.

So there's my opinion on Williams injury.  Not to say that it CAN'T get worse and be an issue, but I think the fact that they're having him run and work on the sidelines and he hasn't had surgery on it makes me think that he's going to play at some point this year.  The way they're reportedly treating it, makes it look like it's not going to be a huge issue long term.

Archived