2017 Season Thread

kyle21121

On 12/14/2017 at 12:27 AM, kyle21121 said:

Big Saturday edition of TNF against KC coming up. Spirits seem up a bit lately and rightfully so but I'm still wary of this matchup. How's everyone feeling now?

I never really thought the Chiefs were all that impressive.  They're secondary other than Peters (who's struggled a bit lately) has been trash, and now with Terrell out too, its even worse.  Their DL isn't really that good outside of Chris Jones.  They've got good LB's, which is useless at times when the DL doesn't do it's job, but makes for a pretty decent run D.  But without Dee Ford, their pass rush and secondary is awful, which is a REALLY bad combo, especially as well as Okung has been playing at LT (and how good the rest of the OL has been in pass pro), I'm not really that worried about Houston.  

This is the sort of "regress to the mean" Chiefs team that I expected.  Their OL played out of their heads the first few weeks, and have since been pretty meh like their talent level shows outside of Schwartz (and sort of Morse).  I feel as though Hunt is mostly a biproduct of that OL performance, and not his actual skillset, even though he runs TOUGH, and they basically have nothing on offense other than him and Kelce that I'm even slightly worried about (outside of maybe 1 big play from Hill).

They seem like  a team that's barely holding on, and were able to beat up on a really bad Raiders team last week (it was an UGLY game, both teams played bad, the raiders just played worse).  I think they're still sort of a sinking ship that I'm not really all that afraid of.  That said, it is NEVER easy to go into arrowhead and win, so realistically this game is far from a given, but the mantra has to be that we win if we just go out there and perform like we've been playing recently.  We don't have to do anything special to beat this team IMO.

12 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I never really thought the Chiefs were all that impressive.  They're secondary other than Peters (who's struggled a bit lately) has been trash, and now with Terrell out too, its even worse.  Their DL isn't really that good outside of Chris Jones.  They've got good LB's, which is useless at times when the DL doesn't do it's job, but makes for a pretty decent run D.  But without Dee Ford, their pass rush and secondary is awful, which is a REALLY bad combo, especially as well as Okung has been playing at LT (and how good the rest of the OL has been in pass pro), I'm not really that worried about Houston.  

This is the sort of "regress to the mean" Chiefs team that I expected.  Their OL played out of their heads the first few weeks, and have since been pretty meh like their talent level shows outside of Schwartz (and sort of Morse).  I feel as though Hunt is mostly a biproduct of that OL performance, and not his actual skillset, even though he runs TOUGH, and they basically have nothing on offense other than him and Kelce that I'm even slightly worried about (outside of maybe 1 big play from Hill).

They seem like  a team that's barely holding on, and were able to beat up on a really bad Raiders team last week (it was an UGLY game, both teams played bad, the raiders just played worse).  I think they're still sort of a sinking ship that I'm not really all that afraid of.  That said, it is NEVER easy to go into arrowhead and win, so realistically this game is far from a given, but the mantra has to be that we win if we just go out there and perform like we've been playing recently.  We don't have to do anything special to beat this team IMO.

Excellent analysis. I will dispute none of that. They have been in quite the tailspin and they were never gonna be a 13-3 juggernaut type of team like people were saying at the beginning of the season.

However I know this Chargers team right now isn't the same team even in our earlier matchup this season. Something has changed and things have been clicking. It's just KC has won however many (6? 7? 8?) in a row against us. I wanna break that streak I can't think of this as a game we "should" win based on recent history against us. 

This is the biggest game of the season and almost an absolute must win and If these are the "same old Chargers" I'm afraid they'll lose. 

If the change is real and "the Chargers are for real" then they should win this game. 

This is an are they for real game imo

On 12/13/2017 at 3:29 PM, SpanosPayYourRent said:

You’re right we could move away into a soccer stadiu...... oh wait

Let's be realistic though - if the team was ultimately going to move, where was there any indication that if they'd have stayed in San Diego, playing at the Murph, until the stadium in Inglewood was completed that home game attendance/support would have increased (or even remained the same) or that any more of the folks that have would have followed the team in their move 2 hours north when it did happen?

From a business perspective it was pretty imperative for the Chargers to wade into the market, particularly with the Rams already playing in the Coliseum for a season.  Granted, he found new and inventive ways to trip over his own Peter throughout the process - in part because he and the family are so damn cheap (the Rose Bowl Commission could have been bargain with - read: "bought") - but this has always been about money and not a love of the team he owns or even of the game of football for him (you might be able to make a case that his sons at least have a love for the game, even if they don't really have great integral knowledge of it despite the positions they hold in the franchise).  Dragging his heels in pulling up the stakes and actually undergoing the move (as soon as the move was definite, they should have been up here with a temporary HQ serving as at least a grassroots marketing center as soon as the 2016 regular season completed; instead they dragged their heels and didn't do the move proper until just prior to training camp starting.

It was a crappy upon crappy situation for San Diegans, but (and it's their right to, I suppose, it's just getting to point where it's so incessant and so over-the-top bitter that it has now reach the point of maudlin and overdramatic) the playing the victim stuff and being the bitter ex-girlfriend is getting to the point where it's pitiable (and this is coming from someone who went through the loss of his local team once upon a time).  And for a lot of them, it feels like they wouldn't be making this much of a stink if the team has moved to Vegas versus LA.  And to me that's a self-defeating mindset, because it only reinforced the big brother/little brother dynamic if the little brother constantly whines about everything that goes right and delights about everything that goes poorly for the big brother.  It just makes the sour grapes all the more sour.

On 12/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, Boltstrikes said:

The San Diego media are the only ones who still are covering the Chargers. One Los Angeles reporter when asked about the Chargers straight said, “I don’t cover minor league teams.”

Not what I've seen.  Both CBS and NBC local news have pretty evenly covered the Rams and Chargers from what I've seen.  Yes, there are some loudmouthed pundits (particularly on guy on the CBS local affiliate who I can't stand because he constantly interrupts and talks over every other person on the panel like they aren't there) who pretty much tend to ignore the Chargers because they are LA locals who grew up here when the Rams were last here (at least two of them by my count are older than me), so it's a bit easier to fall into that groove.

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

Let's be realistic though - if the team was ultimately going to move, where was there any indication that if they'd have stayed in San Diego, playing at the Murph, until the stadium in Inglewood was completed that home game attendance/support would have increased (or even remained the same) or that any more of the folks that have would have followed the team in their move 2 hours north when it did happen?

From a business perspective it was pretty imperative for the Chargers to wade into the market, particularly with the Rams already playing in the Coliseum for a season.  Granted, he found new and inventive ways to trip over his own Peter throughout the process - in part because he and the family are so damn cheap (the Rose Bowl Commission could have been bargain with - read: "bought") - but this has always been about money and not a love of the team he owns or even of the game of football for him (you might be able to make a case that his sons at least have a love for the game, even if they don't really have great integral knowledge of it despite the positions they hold in the franchise).  Dragging his heels in pulling up the stakes and actually undergoing the move (as soon as the move was definite, they should have been up here with a temporary HQ serving as at least a grassroots marketing center as soon as the 2016 regular season completed; instead they dragged their heels and didn't do the move proper until just prior to training camp starting.

It was a crappy upon crappy situation for San Diegans, but (and it's their right to, I suppose, it's just getting to point where it's so incessant and so over-the-top bitter that it has now reach the point of maudlin and overdramatic) the playing the victim stuff and being the bitter ex-girlfriend is getting to the point where it's pitiable (and this is coming from someone who went through the loss of his local team once upon a time).  And for a lot of them, it feels like they wouldn't be making this much of a stink if the team has moved to Vegas versus LA.  And to me that's a self-defeating mindset, because it only reinforced the big brother/little brother dynamic if the little brother constantly whines about everything that goes right and delights about everything that goes poorly for the big brother.  It just makes the sour grapes all the more sour.

Agreed. I don’t live in San Diego or LA but it just shows how much “love” they have for us

Well, better to lose tonight than keep fooling ourselves into thinking this is a good team. Everything that they had started to do well recently all seemed to crumble away tonight. The turnovers, lack of takeaways, missed kicks, silly penalties, zero run defense, and injuries... was the perfect storm.

God bless NFL network and since this wasn’t one of the Amazon Prime games I could t watch it. I felt myself almost begin to hope we were more then a mediocre team and almost was sucked back into the cycle. Lucky for me the real Chargers showed up and this puts any hope of the playoffs in a very dim light. It’s quite a shame because the pass rush is finally enjoyable to watch and it makes the secondary look so much better then they are. Bosa, Ingram are every bit as exciting as lights out and SP95 ever were. 

If only we had gotten some more help from the draft this year. Does Rivers spend another year commuting to Los Angeles or is this the year he walks away from the game he clearly loves?

5 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

God bless NFL network and since this wasn’t one of the Amazon Prime games I could t watch it. I felt myself almost begin to hope we were more then a mediocre team and almost was sucked back into the cycle. Lucky for me the real Chargers showed up and this puts any hope of the playoffs in a very dim light. It’s quite a shame because the pass rush is finally enjoyable to watch and it makes the secondary look so much better then they are. Bosa, Ingram are every bit as exciting as lights out and SP95 ever were. 

If only we had gotten some more help from the draft this year. Does Rivers spend another year commuting to Los Angeles or is this the year he walks away from the game he clearly loves?

I partially agree about the draft, but King is playing like a 1st rounder which makes up for it a little bit. Mike Williams has been a dud so far, hopefully he can turn it around next year but I'm far from impressed at the moment. Lamp never got a chance to show what he can do but he should be a start next year assuming he comes back healthy. Feeney has been pretty good for a rookie and should get better with some NFL strength training over the offseason. 

I think Rivers plays out his contract even with the commute, I can't see him stepping away like that. It is time to get a good backup/future QB going though. 

It just sucks that once again they have done enough to move themselves out of good draft position, but not make the playoffs. So to get one of the top QBs we'd have to sell the farm so to speak. I also think we need to get a solid MLB and DT in the offseason, Pullard is terrible and Mebane is getting old.

Archived