Ravens NOT signing WR Ryan Grant - failed physical pg 5

M.10.E

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

Ravens fans: Let's go out and sign some good WR's this year

Ozzie: Okay here's John Brown and Ryan Grant.

The annoying thing is, I actually like the John Brown signing. Not in the sense that I think the dude is gonna be a Pro Bowler, but it's a good high-ceiling move for an affordable, or at least incentive-laden price. In isolation, that's a sensible move for a team squeezed against the cap. 

But Ryan Grant... for this much money? This is just so dumb. This is the kind of dumb move other teams make that we used to be the ones laughing at. If we were going to throw this much money at Brown+Grant, we should have just gone for Allen Robinson. If we needed any further proof that this entire franchise is just so ordinary now... well, say hello to Ryan Grant. 

Oh well, at least Ozzie is free to use our 1st round pick at whatever fat Alabama nose tackle is available this year now...

6 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

The annoying thing is, I actually like the John Brown signing. Not in the sense that I think the dude is gonna be a Pro Bowler, but it's a good high-ceiling move for an affordable, or at least incentive-laden price. In isolation, that's a sensible move for a team squeezed against the cap. 

But Ryan Grant... for this much money? This is just so dumb. This is the kind of dumb move other teams make that we used to be the ones laughing at. If we were going to throw this much money at Brown+Grant, we should have just gone for Allen Robinson. If we needed any further proof that this entire franchise is just so ordinary now... well, say hello to Ryan Grant. 

Oh well, at least Ozzie is free to use our 1st round pick at whatever fat Alabama nose tackle is available this year now...

Probably just go Rashaan Evans

Let me try to work backwards here. In order to be worth this contract, given the rising salaries at he position, Ryan Grant would need to be like one of the better number 2 WRs in the NFL. So a guy who gets 750-900 yards a year. He's never had more than a 4 game stretch at that level. I guess maybe it has SOME chance of happening, with improvement and increased usage. He seems to have some quickness and hands.

The decision to make that bet is just bad though. Why not just project with an actual draft pick. It's clear that they wanted guys with speed/quickness instead of the normal guys we get who played at a high level but have lost a step. It's again the type of thing we should have gambled on with draft prospects. It's basically like we are signing older draft picks. That's fine and even good for 1 yr 5M, but for 4 yrs 29m...

We pass over Jordan Matthews for this scrub?? Matthews could have likely gone for the same price.

The only way to salvage this is if the contract is for four years, but set in a way that we can easily cut him after the first season here... and if these numbers are reporting the incentives that could push it to this number... and even then this deal is still bad.

I can’t defend this. In fact the only logical explanation I can see is that Ozzie must have been graciously told of this succession plan for DeCosta years ago to his surprise and as opposed to getting mad, he got even. And has since thought to destroy the franchise as best he could before he leaves out. Mixing horrible picks with solid ones. Until his final season, when he completely goes off the rails.

Yes, a movie plot is literally the only logical explanation here.??‍♀️

I mean, I was assuming it was one of those half and half deals we like to do where we can walk out halfway through at half the cost. So like 2 years 14.5ish. That would be in line with the guaranteed total.

Still don't like it IF I'm right about that. If I'm not right about that, then I'm going to go back to believing this was a made up report.

1 minute ago, paraven said:

Just trying to find the sense in all of this.. this must mean they have a specific wr in the draft they are targeting and are planning to move up to ensure they get him 

Wouldn't matter if they did. This deal for Grant is horrifying regardless of the circumstances. 

Guys, this is what desperation looks like. 

We better walk away from the draft with some marquee talent, because the fan base is out for blood. Everyone knows this was just an odd move, the upside is low and the signs of a strategic misstep are everywhere. There's going to be a lot of negativity surrounding the ball club. I'm sure fans will delude themselves to some degree, just in an effort to stay positive, but the FO needs to be primed for some hard questions.

I don't get it? I mean, I can understand having your hand forced and being given explicit orders to be active in free agency and find playmakers. However, going this hard after Ryan Grant?! Like, this is the move other teams stupidly make year after year and we laugh at. This have never been nor should it ever be a Ravens type move. Just because your process hasn't yielded the kind of results you desired in the past few years, it doesn't necessarily mean the process is broken or you have to go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Just ridiculous. Assuming this is largely on Ozzie; enjoy retirement. 

pjivhc11r7401.jpg

I won’t be able to forgive this signing. What will make this even worse is Ryan Mink likely writing some stupid article about how this signing actually makes some sense when you think about it. No, this signing is literally worst than any free agent signing I can think of in Ravens history.

Ive never been the type to ever think about writing a strongly worded letter to anyone about anything, this signing makes me want to write a FU letter to Ozzie. ?‍♀️ 

pardon me i thought Brown was getting a ridiculous contract when in fact it is Grant. the Ravens are the dumbest team when it comes to WR, be it draft or selection of free agents.

i am now fully expecting a single WR to be drafted since they already revamped their WR squad with 2 FA acquired.

it is going to be great entertainment watching the press conference for these FA deals.

Archived